A couple of my favorites:

Jacci Gresham

Watch: Tattoo Legend Jacci Gresham Talks About Getting Her Start | Complex

Vyvyn

Vyvyn Lazonga

Jami Eason....

Annette LaRue....

Deb Yarian...

I'm talking Tattooers that were doing it before most us were alive....

Please Add...

I have to go with Kari Barba. She tattooed a friend of mine back in the late eighties and besides being amazed by her work at how good tattoos could be, I was equally amazed that I'd actually seen a tattoo in real life by someone who's work I'd seen in magazines. It was like finding out Santa Claus is real for me.

Kari Barba is not only an amazing tattooer, Richard's always, ALWAYS (old party days in NOLA during conventions) spoken highly of her, and I have been to the old Pike Shop before the place was reopened... It's inspiring to see such drive to do good, not only tattoos, but the preservation of history as well...

Mary Jane Haake is an amazing and beautiful lady that has been tattooing in Portland for 31 years, she apprenticed under Bert Grimm. Her work now mostly consists of reconstructive work on burn victims, breast cancer patients, wounded soldiers, which I personally think is a really cool thing to do. She kind of holds things together in Portland is the best way I can put it. She works as kind of a liaison to the health department , keeping us up to date on any new laws or restrictions. It seems like whenever you have an issue you can always call Mary Jane, and she is willing to listen and help.

She throws a birthday party every year, with food, live bands, and such and I have been lucky enough to be able to tag alone with boss man a few times. It's always a great time and usually end up meeting some pretty legendary people in the tattoo world there.

Here is a video of her talking about her career, Bert Grimm and tattooing penis and butt crack among other things. She is also the only person I know that uses a coil machine to tattoo to do cosmetic tattooing.

Maud Stevens Wagner

Maud_Stevens_Wagner.jpeg

Rusty Skuse

Rusty_Skuse.jpg

I'm reading "Bodies of Subversion: A Secret History of Women and Tattoo" by Margot Mifflin right now. She just released a 3rd edition with a number of awesome updates and photos. Highly recommended!

Both women were tattooists in their own right as well as being heavily tattooed!

Bodies of Subversion is probably my favorite book that I've read about tattoos. It's really a fantastic and informative read. I need to get my hands on the new edition.

Loooove this thread.

Just ordered a copy of Bodies of Subversion...could only afford the paperback at the prices it's bringing, and that wasn't cheap!

I had to get the paperback, too! Never fear, the colors are still big and pretty. And so much good information!!