Inception (Spoiler Alert)

Tight-Lines

I've seen this movie four times now, and Im still figuring stuff out. It seems like every time I watch it I get a new idea about how the movie is not only progressing, but figuring out wither he is constantly in a dream, or if there are parts of TRUE reality.

My first round with this bastard I was a little drunk, so my ideas were nothing more than a Jameson induced delirium.

My second round I noticed that the music plays a huge part in the movie. The tone, and song changes to fit wither he is doing his dream thing, or when he is (or believes) he is in reality.

The last two times is when I came up with the idea that he had been dreaming the whole time since he was using his wife's Talisman.

What does everyone else think? I just bought it, and am interested in hearing what other people thought.

I dont know if his wife is dead... A part of me thinks that he really wasn't dreaming when his wife jumped off that building, but another part of me thinks he was due to the fact that he as staring across the street at the same room. That kinda threw me for a loop.

Im going to watch it again tonight, so I will have a fresh look on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Watching it again right now and I noticed something new...

Cobb's Talisman was his wife's before she died right? While Cobb was teaching Ariadne about the idea of dream invasion, he stated that she needed a talisman which no one can touch.

It made me think that since the top was Cobb's wife's talisman that he might have in some way made it impossible to figure out when reality begins and ends. So in theory, the entire movie could just be a dream of his.

I love this fuckin movie.

I thought that that was the whole point of the totem continuing spinning at the end- to question whether anything that occurred was reality or not.

Either way I really don't see how you can shit talk this movie. I thought it was fucking amazing.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I'll take a different approach. I haven't seen the movie and have no desire to do so. I'm a relatively intelligent guy but when it comes to movies I really prefer something with a simpler plot and not something I have to watch a few times before I fully grasp what I saw. For me it's unfulfilling when I'm confused during the whole movie and at the end I'm left wondering what the hell just happened and I'm thinking, "I don't get it." A few plot twists and turns are enjoyable and necessary but I think it can be overdone and from what I've heard of Inception it's not something I'd want to see since it requires just too much thought. I'll take a good ol' Clint Eastwood flick any day. Just offering a different opinion.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I'll take a different approach. I haven't seen the movie and have no desire to do so. I'm a relatively intelligent guy but when it comes to movies I really prefer something with a simpler plot and not something I have to watch a few times before I fully grasp what I saw. For me it's unfulfilling when I'm confused during the whole movie and at the end I'm left wondering what the hell just happened and I'm thinking, "I don't get it." A few plot twists and turns are enjoyable and necessary but I think it can be overdone and from what I've heard of Inception it's not something I'd want to see since it requires just too much thought. I'll take a good ol' Clint Eastwood flick any day. Just offering a different opinion.

i have to admit, i sort of agree with Wedge on Inception (and i did see the movie, at the drive-in no less). now, i love my metaphors and complications just as the next person in this forum, but Inception did feel overdone. and at the end, I kept thinking to myself "well that was nice looking, but really, what's the point?" if the point is to question our reality, then that's fine, but it feels redundant. but maybe i'm missing something? i'm willing to give it a second shot, i'm not against the film in any way, i guess i just don't understand the hype behind it either.

I don't think Inception required any sort of mental overstimulation to watch it. You can trip out and get all stoney and way overanalyze stuff if you want but I still feel like I would've left my couch with a firm grip of what happened in the movie even if I hadn't put the extra thought into it. It's a pretty clear plot in my one time viewing opinion and an enjoyable one as well.

The first movie that comes to mind for a movie that i was confused throughout it like you're describing though Wedge is Pirates of the Caribbean 3. That shit was unfollowable with all the twists and unexplained non sequiturs. It definitely makes something less enjoyable if you have no idea what's happening. It's like trying to watch tv without the audio- it's just not the same.

and MsRad- your question of "what's the point" is entirely up to you. you don't necessarily have to bring some deep meaning out of a movie for it to be enjoyable (in fact most of us watch pointless flicks on the regular and enjoy them.) I think the execution of this film makes it stand on it's own regardless of anyone's opinion on the "point" of it, although having a deeper moral/psychological/thought-provoking impact definitely can make a movie stand above other films.

Jake, i completely agree with you, but with Inception, it felt like it was hyped up to be something more than just an enjoyable film. like i said, i have nothing against the film, but at the same time, a film that just cares about esthetic doesn't stop with a cliff hanger ending that leaves the viewers asking questions. it seems (though i haven't read this or heard the director talk about this) that the intent of the filmmakers was to evoke a deeper interaction and reaction than just sitting back and saying "oh that was cool." i guess i just felt like it was trying to hard to be something it's not (for me at least, but hey that's the beauty of a public forum, that these discussions get started).

I know, I was just making the comparison between the two directors. It seems like Nolan has tendencies in two cases to have a "Lynch perspective" on film making with both Inception and Memento.

You should watch some! Wild At Heart, Blue Velvet, and Eraserhead.

Awesome quote from lynch. If you type in his name into youtube, you get some really awesome "Commercials" and random thoughts of david lynch. Here is a example of a Daily Weather report he was doing on his website for a while:

"Life is very, very confusing, and so films should be allowed to be, too" ~ David Lynch.

That is the exact opposite of my point and my philosophy. I've got enough confusion in my daily life, the last thing I need is more. When I sit down at the end of a stressful, confusing day of life I want a fairly mindless escape, not added confusion. But, to each their own of course.

• 4 months later...

Just noticed this today, David Lynch is designing a nightclub in Paris based on Mulholland Drive:

Mulholland Drive inspires a Parisian club

By Chris Beanland

Friday, 20 May 2011

David Lynch aficionados will soon have a new temple to worship at. The cult auteur's latest project is designing a club in Paris. Club Silencio gets its name from the fictional establishment featured in Lynch's lauded 2001 movie Mulholland Drive. Lynch has designed the entire interior of the club, including some striking pieces of furniture. A surreal wooden-speaker stack seems to resemble a nightmarish appropriation of the face of a child's cuddly toy – the eyes being the two circular speaker cones. He's also designed several bespoke chairs and an asymmetrical double sofa, footstool and side- table combination.

The private members' club is at 142 Rue Montmartre, not far from the Paris Stock Exchange. The upper floors of the building previously housed left-leaning newspaper L'Aurore, whose most famous front page featured Émile Zola's rabble-rousing letter "J'accuse..." in 1898. The building is also currently home to Social Club – the city's hottest nightspot, which has hosted DJ sets by the new wave of French disco and techno acts like Cassius, Justice and SebastiAn.

Lynch has form as a Francophile. He's been made an officer of the Légion d'Honneur, has exhibited paintings at the Cartier Foundation, and was granted a retrospective of his work at the Cinémathèque Français last autumn. Lynch also has a soft spot for the French capital – last year he told French paper The Connexion: "Paris is, I think, the most beautiful city in the world." The director has been quiet on the film front of late, and hasn't brought out a full-length feature since Inland Empire, in 2006. Commenting to The New York Times last month, Lynch said of designing Club Silencio: "I enjoy how architecture and design create mood."

Club Silencio was slated to open in June, but will now launch in September. The club will also feature a private film screening room. As you might expect from a Lynch project, much is still shrouded in secrecy. Those involved with the club reveal little, saying information will be released nearer to the opening date. But this cloud of obfuscation hasn't stopped Lynch's devoted fanbase from excitably posting leaks, titbits and photographs on internet forums and Facebook. Club Silencio, it seems, won't stay quiet for long.

Club Silencio (142 Rue Montmartre, Paris) opens in September

Mulholland Drive inspires a Parisian club - Features, Films - The Independent

I've seen Inception 3 times, and what I like about is that you are able to just take it for face value if you wish to ask no further questions, or get very detailed and into all the twists and turns trying to wrap it around your brain.

For those of you that are trying to answer the dream/not a dream think about this. The start of the movie if it was all a dream would have already been 3 layers deep making the final go to layer 4. Or Cobb never saw the picture of Robert as a child, so how did he know to put a windmill toy in the safe?