Anyone into iPhone jailbreaking?

Mike Panic

Since jailbreaking isn't illegal, only unlocking (as of a few days ago) I hope this doesn't violate any TOS - mods contact me please if you feel it does.

I've been stuck on iOS 5.1 with the redsn0w tethered jailbreak for some time now, but tomorrow this is supposed to be available: http://evasi0n.com/

Anyone update iOS and then re-jailbreak? I'm assuming I'll have to re-install everything, as if it was the first time over again (tweaks, hacks and other tidbits I use jailbreaking for)?

Yeah you have to back your machine up with open backup or something Cydia will keep your purchased apps . You can usually upgrade your jailbreak with redsn0w but not sure if you can with the most recent version of ios. Always found jail breaking to be more hassle than it's worth though stopped doing it a while ago . It's not like rooting Android where you've got decent custom roms to play with.

My lock screen:

MHMOyud.jpg

Also have a customized notification center and 5 icons in the dock, without names under them, or any apps. I just prefer the clean look of stuff I guess. The lock screen is dynamic to show me, at touch, current weather, today high / low, tomorrow, and multiple cities. It is not geo-location aware though, but I can live with that.

Just a heads up... there appears to be an issue with iOS 6.1 + Winterboard, your phone's lock screen will light up on new notifications however you have them set, but you won't actually see the notification. Kind of a pain since I now need to unlock to see if I have a text. Talked to a few developers, they are working on it now.

Otherwise, I'm now on iOS 6.1 with the evasi0n jailbreak, no other issues.

Another update, it's been crashing, like a LOT on me. Showing up in safe mode, sometimes even after not doing anything.

32GB iPhone4, AT&T, your mileage may vary, just want to let everyone know.

Since it's not tethered, a quick restart fixes it, but it's a tad frustrating. Also, Cydia is extremely slow and / or down.

With that said, if you're moving from a previous iOS version that's jailbroken, make a list of all Cydia apps you have installed, makes re-installing a lot easier.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update - there was a slew of changes via Cydia, including Winterboard and Mobile Substrate that fixed the problem of notifications not showing up on HTML based lock screens. That said, I'm still having problems with the Mobile Substrate crashing at least once a day, the phone just goes into safe mode and you just tap the top and it resprings everything. It's just an inconvenience.

I'm still running 6.1 and won't be upgrading, hopefully they can work out a few of these last bugs. Did a little more tweaking to clean things up and also changed my WiFi notification recently. This is now my home screen:

nCfergq.png

Wallpaper is a mashup of stuff from Good Fucking Design Advice that I just threw together in Photoshop quickly, to remind myself of some stuff daily.

• 3 weeks later...

Another update. I'm having almost daily mobile substrate crashes on my AT&T iPhone 4 running iOS 6.1. It just reboots, tells me it's in safe mode and I can reboot again and it's fixed. About once every 10 days to 2 weeks it gets stuck at the Apple logo for 20-30 minutes then comes back up.

All my apps are updated and everything in Cydia is updated. Just frustrated to the point I may just restore the phone to un-jailbreak status and keep using it the way I'm "supposed" to :eek:

• 5 weeks later...