Huck Spaulding R.I.P

Petri Aspvik

Well all i can say is weather you agreed with Huck as a business man or not he was a huge part of the tattoo world and for that we all can agree. Some hated him because he was the biggest tattoo supplier name for years and years with advertisement in almost every magazine selling starter kits and what seems to have become the blue print to shops and stores that are now selling supplies with no inhibitions. Others knew him as the ex-business partner of the late Paul Rogers and also have an opinion of him from those stories, but many of us were in the Spaulding starter kit generation and the book A-Z was a large part of our beginning into the tattoo world. so it seems that no matter what side you were on in the world where Huck Spaulding was we have indeed lost a huge part of an older tattoo world and with that said, R.I.P. Huck.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tom-Spaulding-Tattoo-Studio/121948321152163

We are all deeply saddened to let you know of the death of Tom's dad, Huck Spaulding. He was a pioneer in the tattoo industry. His innovations brought tattooing out of the back alleys, and into mainstream America, as well as around the world. He was the first worldwide distributor of quality tattoo equipment. He was at the forefront of tattoo safety, with disposable needles and autoclavable machine parts.

He was a big man who lived a big life. He was a trapper, a stock car racer, a big game hunter, and a classic car enthusiast. He was a husband, father, grandfather, and great grandfather. He was so proud of his wonderful family. He will be sorely missed by his family and friends.

During this difficult time, Tom will be spending time with his family and may not be available. We appreciate your understanding.

Sad...But, R.I.P.

Say what you will about Huck selling to everyone with a money order and a postage stamp, then later a credit card and internet, but there's some pretty awesome tattoers out there today that got started with that A to Z book and a starter set.

Come to think of it, someone gave me that damned A to Z book in 1988 when it first came out. I never even thought about learning to tattoo, never did, and never would, but I still have that little book.

Still have my first tattoo, done in 1985 from Spaulding flash too.

This guy was a true pioneer in the tattoo industry.

and even though there has been much bad talk about him making professorial equipment available to the general public many years ago- it does seem like quite a few of the best known artists world wide started their career thanks to him.

and even tough I had a professional apprenticeship, my first machines and much of my equipment back then was all Spaulding brand, and of course the a to z book that I still have, and hope to pass along to my apprentice one day, just as I got it from the guy who taught me.

RIP