White tattoos on palms or finger tips?

carmen1979

I want all white tattoos on my palms and on my fingertips (underside, not at the end). I'm thinking I'll start with the finger tips since they'll be less expensive, to try it out and see how they stay put. I"m not doing this because I want a tattoo no one sees (I have visible tattoos so I"m not worried about that), I just love the look of the subtle pattern that white ink leaves. I've heard that they do well, and that they will inevitably fade, and quickly. What experiences have you guys had with this sort of thing? I'm not too concerned about "wasting" the money if they don't last long..on my finger tips I want pencil eraser size dots, one on each finger, so it's not like it's going to be a huge investment money/time wise.

Also how hard has it been for you guys to find someone will to tattoo your hands or do white tattoos? I'm not sure I count as heavily tattooed or not..by the time I get this, I"ll have a full sleeve on one side, and I have my sternum completely covered, my other tattoos aren't usually visible in normal clothes.

I live in SC..does anyone know of an artist that is good at palm tattoos in the SC area?

I will say this coming from not a tattooer but someone who is very very pale and has white in my tattoos. You will need contrast for the white to show up and not look yellowish. That being said I would say skip the white palm/fingertip tattoo and go with black. Plus I'm not too sure how many people tattoo palms especially since you are far from covered.

Your mileage may vary

The thing about a tattoo like the one above (and the millions of them you see in spaces like Pinterest) is that they may look cool in well-lit close-up photos, but you have to think about what that will translate to in real life. Like @hogg said I would put money on that looking like a rash or disease or something-like weird blotchy skin.

I know tattooers tend to have a million other reasons as to why white ink tattoos don't work, but as a non-expert all I can say is that definitely looks like it will end up looking like a rash.

Any good tattooer will probably tell you that:

#1 They will not do a white only tattoo

#2 They will not tattoo your palms or hands(unless you are a tattooer or "heavily tattooed", whatever the requirement is for that...Generally, at the shop I work at, we don't tattoo hands, faces or necks unless you already have previous tattoos in one of those place or you are a tattooer.)

#3 White pigment turns yellow over time and basically looks like dried skeet

Your hands exfoliate a lot and the skin there acts way differently than other places. A responsible tattooer will explain to you the subtleties of this. Most notably, anything on fingers, hands, and palms, will fade quickly and not look very good. The issues with skin combined with the fact that white ages into a sort of yellow when by itself should be enough to make you think twice about this. I see a whole lot of people come in looking for white tattooes and after someone explains the problems to them, they usually change their tone.

Well I"ve read that they tend to yellow as they age, and that doesn't bother me. Here's a picture that shows an old white palm tattoo, and I love it. I also have similar skin tone to the guy in the picture.

white-ink-hand-tattoo.jpg

this picture reminds me of the scene in Home Alone when Joe Pesci grabs the door knob that Macaulay Culkin rigged to be burning hot and is left with a scar of the door knob's decorative pattern.

I've met a couple people with tattoos done entirely with white ink. The impression I was left with was that they both had a desire to get tattoos, but the permanency of one was too scary, so an all white tattoo was a compromise they felt they could deal with. No one notices it on a day to day basis, but you can still show it off to your friends and say you have a tattoo.

I hate white tattoos...

But I like white chocolate :cool:

7790754-portrait-of-beautiful-woman-she-holding-white-chocolate-bar.jpg

Toht_burned_hand.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I kind of think we need to have a competition for the most random outdated movie references folks can relevantly slip in to tattoo-related conversations on here.

i think the indiana jones hand tattoo in white with with the best quote in Cinematic History "you're going need a bigger boat" would make such a cool tattoo, quote obviously in black ink...!!!!

"