DC/NOVA Area - Joe

GSJoe

I recently purchased the GRINDER Tattoo kit from Amazon. Yes, I know……may sound like a lame start, but wanted to start somewhere. The day it arrived, I bought a few bags of grapefruit to practice. I must admit, I honestly didn’t think there was SO MUCH to the art! I was thinking, just trace something and color it in. I mean, I’ve got a huge back piece and other random ink, and the artist made it look easy. You can imagine my surprise when I realized there is so much more to producing a tattoo!!! That said, I’ve already gained a new respect for those artists out there who excel at this skill.

Everything from tuning the gun, needle placement, and grip techniques….so much! I’m taking it a little bit at a time, and learning something new every night. I don’t expect to tattoo anyone for a LONG time, but I wanted to learn something new and out of the ordinary. The tattoo crowd is the typical crowd I get along with, so it seemed perfect.

Night #2 tattoo practice: Worked with a new machine and fine needle. Still learning the best depth to adjust the needle. It appears that tattooing based on the needle and not the tip of the machine barrel, is the way to go. This means you can’t rest the machine on someone’s skin because the needle comes out of the barrel about 1/8” inch. I’ve got to watch more videos to see exactly how other’s adjust their needles. Everyone seems to do it a bit different. I was just getting into a good groove where I felt comfortable and able to focus, when it was time to turn-in for the night. I cannot draw freehand symmetrical objects, must rely on stencils. I felt a definite improvement from night 1, and learned a few things in the process.

Joe

Thanks! I was specifically looking for somewhere to read artist techniques and stuff. However,

"Do not start threads asking about specific tattooing equipment or techniques, LST is not here to teach anyone how to tattoo. Ask your own tattooer, the next time you are getting tattooed. Maybe they'll answer you, maybe they won't."

I'll stick around anyways though, always love meeting people on a healthy forum!

Hey Joe.

I must insist that you pursue an apprenticeship if you are serious about learning to tattoo. Tattooing is not something that can or should be casually learned. There are people who dedicate their lives 24/7 to tattooing. Please do not disrespect them by trying to learn at home with a "kit". There are people that belong in tattooing and people that don't.

With that said, please stick around and look through everything this forum has to offer. There is a lot of information and good people on this site. You will soon find that there is a respect for this craft that will be emphasized by everyone here.

The newest contestant of Ink Master has arrived.

- - - Updated - - -

Part of me hopes this is Karl Hedgepath playing a joke on us.

It's not, genuine guy here. The difference between me and others you may have experienced is that I respect those who are in that arena. I am humble and expect that there is a lot to learn. In fact, the best thing to come of this "kit" so far is the appreciation behind what most people who get tattoo'd assume is a pretty simple task.

I dont assume it is easy.

Anyway, my advice to you is, never ever ever put a tattoo on a person. And you can respect all you want. But people around this forum taking scratching seriously... so stick to your fruit or just abandon the whole idea together... it will save you alot of grief.

All that being said, I hope you enjoy the forum

It's not, genuine guy here. The difference between me and others you may have experienced is that I respect those who are in that arena. I am humble and expect that there is a lot to learn. In fact, the best thing to come of this "kit" so far is the appreciation behind what most people who get tattoo'd assume is a pretty simple task.

Buying a kit on amazon and learning from youtube videos isn't respect.

There is a lot and I mean a lot more than what you said GSJoe. You can love art but you are not going to try and be Caravaggio! Where are you at GSJoe? Before you even started tattooing fruit you need to draw! When you are tired of drawing, draw some more! Draw and draw. Then go in to a tattoo shop and show those drawings. Go home and draw some more. You see where I am going here GSJoe? After all that drawing, you may, going back into that shop and show them your new drawings. If they like them than you will be taught how to draw! " You have to past the first grade before you can go to the second grade!" Peck