How do tattoos age when place over joints?

carmen1979

I'm talking about over knees, elbows, or the ditch of the arm? I have a tattoo on my foot that is about 10 years old. Everything has stayed clean and crisp except right over the "knuckle" (or the end of my metatarsal bone) on my big toe. There it's blurry and spread out. I can only assume this is b/c of the constant movement over that joint. So I'm nervous about getting tattooed over my knee or one of the other big joints. Any experience you guys can share?

I'm talking about over knees, elbows, or the ditch of the arm? I have a tattoo on my foot that is about 10 years old. Everything has stayed clean and crisp except right over the "knuckle" (or the end of my metatarsal bone) on my big toe. There it's blurry and spread out. I can only assume this is b/c of the constant movement over that joint. So I'm nervous about getting tattooed over my knee or one of the other big joints. Any experience you guys can share?

Your big toe could be blurry and spread out because you might have socks on? or shoes rubbing on that specific joint? thats what i feel could be happening.

• 3 weeks later...

In my experience, the reason most have issues with the more abused areas of skin, like elbows and heels, is because the body sheds and regenerates thicker more "callused" skin to compensate for such abuse. So basicly your tattoo will age more rapidly under thicker regenerating skin, while at the same time disappear in the cracks and crevises in the callused skin. Also on that note, palms and soles regenerate skin more rapidly as well hence ink also will age and fade away more rapidly all the same. Thats in most cases however, I've seen people who had no issues and ink age just the same in those areas, as other parts of the body.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

I’d like to get another tattoo- this one directly on my shoulder joint. 
Im thinking the inside of a seashell / Fibonacci sequence. The center of the shell would be the center point of my shoulder joint - spiraling out. 

How hard is this tattoo technically?

Do I need someone who specializes in joints?

Who is the best at tattooing difficult areas? 

Thanks in advance 

❤️

On 9/19/2021 at 6:47 PM, GinaMaria said:

I’d like to get another tattoo- this one directly on my shoulder joint. 
Im thinking the inside of a seashell / Fibonacci sequence. The center of the shell would be the center point of my shoulder joint - spiraling out. 

How hard is this tattoo technically?

Do I need someone who specializes in joints?

Who is the best at tattooing difficult areas? 

Thanks in advance 

❤️

Thin, delicate, precise lines on thin delicate skin - incredibly hard. If you don't get someone exceptional, it's going to be a hot mess.

That's not a difficult area. If you are wanting a very simple depiction or line drawing of the shell (?) your artist is going to need a VERY steady hand.  

Very capable people are in high demand and you'll have to be patient. Often it takes months before your appointment come up. Where are you located?