Maker's Mark diluting their booze

gougetheeyes

Most liqour brands do this, I think mainly to meet whatever the local and state regs are for alcohol content sales. Like here in ohio, you can only buy liqour over 80 proof at "state" liqour stores. Everyone that sells liqour has to have a state licence but certain state approved liquor stores can sell the higher proof stuff. So you can get a bottle of just about anything that's 80 proof at the grocery, gas station, and drive thru package stores.

I suppose it seems like a big deal but its how you cut moonshine when distilling it so it doesn't seem that outrageous to me.

Most liquor brands do this, I think mainly to meet whatever the local and state regs are for alcohol content sales. Like here in ohio, you can only buy liquor over 80 proof at "state" liquor stores. Everyone that sells liquor has to have a state license but certain state approved liquor stores can sell the higher proof stuff. So you can get a bottle of just about anything that's 80 proof at the grocery, gas station, and drive thru package stores.

I suppose it seems like a big deal but its how you cut moonshine when distilling it so it doesn't seem that outrageous to me.

As a State of Ohio Liquor ticket holder, I can tell you that only a store with a full liquor ticket can sell with a alcohol content over 17%. A beer and wine ticket, like those held by grocery stores and gas stations can sell beer, wine, mixed drinks in sealed containers, and low proof liquor. Standard 80 proof liquor is not permitted to be sold with that ticket.

Some grocery stores do have a full ticket but then there is a separate sales area that is not part of the store it's self.

You can not purchase booze at a drive thru, gas station or inside the regular sales area of a grocery store. That is illegal in Ohio.

This is a super bad idea and says to me that the company is being run very badly. Unless there's recently been a massive sudden increase in sales they should have been able to more or less anticipate their demand and upgrade their facilities accordingly. In the meantime, because bourbon distiller today is going to age for years before it can be sold, it would make a lot more sense to either increase the price of it and/or reduce distribution of it (look here to Dogfish Head and how they reduced production and restricted distribution of the 60 Minute IPA in order to focus on their more experimental beers) to cut back the demand. Adulterating it to squeeze out more volume says to me that they have absolutely no concern for the integrity of the brand.

Maker's MArk got hit the same as most other companies making bourbon, by an unexpected, radical increase in bourbon consumption. There are something like 116 premium bourbons out there now, and more being drunk than ever before. According to the guy making the projections for MM, they got so radically oversold that it was just a question of trying to satisfy most, if not all, of their market.

But it sucks. Never really thought of MM as "premium" bourbon when I drank, I'd just as lief have Old Granddad-at least you were getting an honest glass that way.

As a State of Ohio Liquor ticket holder, I can tell you that only a store with a full liquor ticket can sell with a alcohol content over 17%. A beer and wine ticket, like those held by grocery stores and gas stations can sell beer, wine, mixed drinks in sealed containers, and low proof liquor. Standard 80 proof liquor is not permitted to be sold with that ticket.

Some grocery stores do have a full ticket but then there is a separate sales area that is not part of the store it's self.

You can not purchase booze at a drive thru, gas station or inside the regular sales area of a grocery store. That is illegal in Ohio.

I know I used to get 80 proof at the grocery but then again I haven't bought liqour in a while. About the only thing I've gotten is beer. Now I'm curious to see what they're selling at the drive thru and grocery around here. I know one of the state liqour stores here is the only place to get the undilluted stuff.

*just checked the drive thru by the shop and they are 42 proof and below. The other drive thru is in the state liquor store so I know that inside is different than what you can get in the drive thru part. When were the last reg changes?

Meh..... a small brewery like Maker's Mark won't dilute their whisky so much that it will effect the taste to much. Plus it's going to be the same water that they make the stuff with, it's not like putting tap water in it.

If I'm calculating it right, it's a 7.5% dilution which I think is pretty significant and is probably fairly noticeable, especially if you were to taste the two side by side.

I know I used to get 80 proof at the grocery but then again I haven't bought liqour in a while. About the only thing I've gotten is beer. Now I'm curious to see what they're selling at the drive thru and grocery around here. I know one of the state liqour stores here is the only place to get the undilluted stuff.

*just checked the drive thru by the shop and they are 42 proof and below. The other drive thru is in the state liquor store so I know that inside is different than what you can get in the drive thru part. When were the last reg changes?

It's been that way for decades. My family has had restaurants since the 70's. if anything they are loosening up a little.

I've had a avatar for a while now but I've been changing it lately cause @Duffa hates it when people change theirs. Which reminds me, I gotta change it again.

I can't support this, it bothers me too. I have NO IDEA who you are when the little turtle man is next to your text!!!

sorry @else haha, I didn't want to confuse anyone to much so I still went with a Dave inspired avatar ;). Have you ever tried changing your avatar? All the cool kids are doing it...

- - - Updated - - -

Whoops, thread hijack! Booze shouldn't be watered down. Ah, back on track :cool: