An interesting read?

peterpoose

Realistic tattoos aren't my favorite style, so I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of that genre. I don't know anything about tattooers fighting about their tattoos being photoshopped before being posted on social media sites to gain business, but I'm not shopping online for tattooers, either. I guess this guy would consider me an old fart and a dying breed myself, I'm okay with that. But to answer the question, is it an interesting read? Not so much. Not for me. All the threads on LST have much more interesting content, IMO.

Read it through, and all I can say is from the perspective of someone who has ridden in a club, who has friends in a large, mainline club, and who rides.

Fuck him and the horse he rode in on.

Does this douche-nozzle stop for one fucking second to think about the ramifications of the spew he writes about how the entire industry is being extorted by M.C.'s?! Fuck no. Straight sensationalism. If he qualified it, and said "in this city...", or gave some type of back-up, "this is my friend who ran such and such a shop that was extorted...", but no, he just ssquirts it out there and runs.'

Thought the rest of the article sucked too.

Dude just really doesn't know what he is talking about, probably has been misinformed by people when he asks questions, and just uses that misinformation to form his own conclusions. His view of tattooing is one who has too much exposure to it on the internet and probably not enough time around actual tattooers. The fabricated facebook drama and stories of photo shop fraud that most people just ignore are the biggest problem with tattooing?

I have a whole rant in my head about realistic tattooing, but I don't want to seem like I don't like it or respect it, but just don't think it's any fancier or more creative than any other style. In a genre where a lot of the work is exact reproduction of images(some of them copyrighted) it's hard for me to listen to someone complain about being copied. Of course your realistic color portrait of Michael Keaton as Batman looks the same as the next guy, you used the same image as reference, and if it didnt look the same, I would be worried. On the other hand, I caught someone in the traditional realm rant the other week about someone ripping off their commisioned tattoo drawing that they posted on every social media site out there weeks before they tattooed it, not to mention the image was of a very famous cartoon character. Meanwhile the best tattooers in the world keep putting out amazing work and don't have time to deal with such nonsense.

Dude just really doesn't know what he is talking about, probably has been misinformed by people when he asks questions, and just uses that misinformation to form his own conclusions. His view of tattooing is one who has too much exposure to it on the internet and probably not enough time around actual tattooers. The fabricated facebook drama and stories of photo shop fraud that most people just ignore are the biggest problem with tattooing?

I have a whole rant in my head about realistic tattooing, but I don't want to seem like I don't like it or respect it, but just don't think it's any fancier or more creative than any other style. In a genre where a lot of the work is exact reproduction of images(some of them copyrighted) it's hard for me to listen to someone complain about being copied. Of course your realistic color portrait of Michael Keaton as Batman looks the same as the next guy, you used the same image as reference, and if it didnt look the same, I would be worried. On the other hand, I caught someone in the traditional realm rant the other week about someone ripping off their commisioned tattoo drawing that they posted on every social media site out there weeks before they tattooed it, not to mention the image was of a very famous cartoon character. Meanwhile the best tattooers in the world keep putting out amazing work and don't have time to deal with such nonsense.

I agree with alot you have said. The guy has been surrounded by internet and Facebook and probably as you say doesn't have alot of real idea being around, growing up around tattooers. I will admit I am the same. I got into tattoos late, had pretty much only the internet to use as research. For me personally most things qualify as art to someone. Throw an egg at a wall and someone will call it art. I love all styles of art and tattooing, be it old school, realistic or a blob of colour, if it is done great.

As you said most of these realistic pieces use images that are available to everyone on the web. What I am not sure about is the law here with copyright. As I understand it, once you post something on the internet it is available for anyone to use?I am probably wrong here.

The part about the Hells Angels running things to me sounds like a load of old bollocks lol

I do think artists should take photos of their work if possible when healed.

I agree with alot you have said. The guy has been surrounded by internet and Facebook and probably as you say doesn't have alot of real idea being around, growing up around tattooers. I will admit I am the same. I got into tattoos late, had pretty much only the internet to use as research. For me personally most things qualify as art to someone. Throw an egg at a wall and someone will call it art. I love all styles of art and tattooing, be it old school, realistic or a blob of colour, if it is done great.

As you said most of these realistic pieces use images that are available to everyone on the web. What I am not sure about is the law here with copyright. As I understand it, once you post something on the internet it is available for anyone to use?I am probably wrong here.

The part about the Hells Angels running things to me sounds like a load of old bollocks lol

Think about when people run for political office, they try to associate you with everyone you ever had a conversation with. Plus plenty of people in Bike Clubs have jobs and some of them are bound to be tattooers or oddly enough get tattooed by a tattooer, but yeah some sort of intercontinental conspiracy seems far fetched.

There are a lot of shops run by/affiliated with various clubs. That doesn't mean that they are in any way operating illegally, or unethically. To assume that a M.C. is a criminal group is a typical candy-ass mistake.

I am going to have to fact check your story by watching sons of anarchy, and this time the whole series not just the episode with Freddy Corbin.

Dan, I think the assumptions people make about MC are the same ones they make about tattoo shops in general. I would be lying if I said I didn't know a few of each that deal in some shady business, but that can be said for most groups, clubs, occupations, gangs, or however anyone wants to categorize people.

Bottom line is extortion, intimidation, hand breaking, burning down shops doesn't happen in the US anymore by anyone.

thats so true...but we need to organize us! first, who shall be president? i'll put my vote on Dan S since that old biker photo of him is reason enough to be president!

anyone up for making cool awesome club vests?

i Bet @Ursula would be a good person to make those. Plus she is an OG to the forum so she would have to be in our club.