Hey guys

RScott

Hey everyone. I'm Ryan and I live in the Philly suburbs. I'm a newbie whose been lurking for a while. I've loved tattoos and the culture of them forever. Most of my friends are heavily tattooed. I just have a few expensive hobbies and the money always went to those things before thinking of spending it on tattoos. There were also a few moments where I thought of doing it, but just couldn't decide on what I'd want. But I'm 31 now, have more time and money and the floodgates have opened. I'm a fan of large pieces, particularly traditional Japanese work. I like the folklore and symbolism behind the imagery also.

I'm about 11 hours into a piece on my leg being done by Dana Helmuth at Read St. in Baltimore, with about 6 more to go. I'll post a photo when it's finished in a few weeks. I'm already looking at other artists to start another large piece. Since I've waited so long I'm being super picky about who I want work from. It's probably better that I waited so long because now I can actually afford the work that I really want. I've got catching up to do.

Welcome to LST! I got my first tattoo at 31 as well despite wanting one was a teenager and I agree, the nicest part about waiting until you're older is that you are in a better place to get good tattoos. Any pictures of your Dana Helmuth piece? We'd love to see it.

Welcome @RScott ! You can't go wrong with big pieces!

Dana is a good tattooer for sure! If you are in Baltimore and want something traditional, I would go visit Hunter Spanks. Super rad dude. Kinda glad I can call him a pal.

In Philadelphia, man, I sure do love Martin LaCasse and Josh Hoffman (New Hope). But you're only 2-2.5 from NYC. Go see Chris O'Donnell, Troy Denning, Mike Rubendall, or Kiku. Worth it man, worth it. My little 2 cent.

But you're only 2-2.5 from NYC. Go see Chris O'Donnell, Troy Denning, Mike Rubendall, or Kiku. Worth it man, worth it. My little 2 cent.

Thanks. I've learned a ton from reading and following a lot of tattooers in the last couple of years. I don't mind traveling a bit to get what I'm looking for, and NYC is no problem. Those were actually few of the people on my list, with Mr. Rubendall at the top. Now, just to get an appointment...

Thanks. I've learned a ton from reading and following a lot of tattooers in the last couple of years. I don't mind traveling a bit to get what I'm looking for, and NYC is no problem. Those were actually few of the people on my list, with Mr. Rubendall at the top. Now, just to get an appointment...

Chris is finishing up my leg currently, and I can't say how nice he and Mike are. True tattoo gentlemen.

Chris is finishing up my leg currently, and I can't say how nice he and Mike are. True tattoo gentlemen.

That's everything other people have told me about both of them also. I'm definitely more inclined to get something from someone who does great work and is a solid person also.

Welcome, @RScott! I'm a big fan of Dana's work. Can't wait to see what you're getting from him.

Yea, I couldn't be happier with it and I'm excited to see it finished. Dana's a super nice guy too.

Good luck with getting a spot with Rubendall anytime soon...the wait would be more than worth it though. He is, in my opinion, one of the best "Japanese" style tattooers in the world.

• 2 months later...
Now that's a nice calf piece! But I have to ask' date=' what's the pain like? I decided to keep my ink above the knees but seeing pieces like this really making me think about getting something in the future.[/quote']

There were some spots worse than others(lower, back of the calf mostly because it kept making my leg twitch uncontrollably) but overall I don't think it that bad at all. Not like Im Johnny Badass, but I have a pretty high pain tolerance too so it may be different for others. Unfortunately, this was my first so I can't compare to other spots. I'm going to keep going up the rest of my leg and Im way more worried about the pain there than below the knee. The inner thigh seems like a huge hunk of meat that would be painful to get tattooed.