Video Game Thread

Brock Varty

I am sad today, though, because I go to PAX every year, and I can't this year, because I will presumably be on top of a dumb mountain on the last week of August. My facebook newsfeed is full of people talking about the badges they bought today, and I am :(.

My buddies and I have gone to PAX East every year since they started it....This was the first year I missed it and it was a bummer.

My time has been taken up with caring for a new baby, but Blizzard games are my defeat. Right now Diablo 3, Hearthstone, and Heroes of the Storm are getting most of my time. I really wanted to get GTA5 for PC but I just don't like spending money on video games, especially since I lose interest fast.

@Cork: I used to live in Boston, so I went to the first...I dunno, 3 PAXes, when they started doing them there? Then, the year that I moved to the Seattle area, I got to do PAX East AND PAX Prime in the same year. Good times.

I wish I had finished laddering with D3 in the first season. I love my wizards, and my poor, neglected witch doctor. I got so distracted by other releases, though. I like Hearthstone and haven't tried HoTS yet (except briefly at the one and only Blizzcon I ever went to, before it went to beta), but I'm drowning in stuff to play. I've barely scratched the surface of Pillars of Eternity, and now Witcher 3 is about to drop! Plus, my gaming buddies and I are all playing Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate at night.

So many games.

Oooh, Dying Light was great! My friends and I still play that a little bit here and there. I used to play MK waaaay back when, and it was the only fighting game I ever really had the patience to learn to play. I haven't played X, but I watched a reel of the fatalities. So over the top, lol.

It sounds like you guys mostly play on PS4..? I dunno what to suggest. I bought my PS4 for the PT demo, but sadly Konami has taken it down since then (don't get me started about this Kojima thing :(). That, and Bloodborne. Most everything that isn't exclusive, I play on PC. I did enjoy the Plants vs. Zombies FPS multiplayer game, though. Maybe the Uncharted stuff, if you haven't played it before? I have Destiny, but I haven't even played it yet. Too many other stuff coming out to try.

Pillars of Eternity is an RPG by Black Isle, aka 'those guys who did Planescape: Torment, one of the best old-school PC RPGs ever made.' They also worked with Bioware on Baldur's Gate. It's text-heavy, just like those old games, but what I've played of it I have REALLY liked. Where I paused it last, I was just finishing up having a chat with a very kindly dead dwarf hanging from a tree. (Seriously.) It IS pretty tough, particularly if you're not used to that style of game. The pause button is your friend.

Sunless Sea is kind of fun, if you're into the world built up around Fallen London. I still haven't finished Alien: Isolation, but it's the Alien game I wanted all along. Still mad about Colonial Marine.

Uhhh. My friends and I have been playing Broforce this week, for no particular reason.

OH! The Telltale games have gotten releases on console, right? Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us? If you guys haven't tried those, I'd throw those at anybody. I love them.

@Cork: I used to live in Boston, so I went to the first...I dunno, 3 PAXes, when they started doing them there? Then, the year that I moved to the Seattle area, I got to do PAX East AND PAX Prime in the same year. Good times.

I wish I had finished laddering with D3 in the first season. I love my wizards, and my poor, neglected witch doctor. I got so distracted by other releases, though. I like Hearthstone and haven't tried HoTS yet (except briefly at the one and only Blizzcon I ever went to, before it went to beta), but I'm drowning in stuff to play. I've barely scratched the surface of Pillars of Eternity, and now Witcher 3 is about to drop! Plus, my gaming buddies and I are all playing Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate at night.

So many games.

@sophistre PAx is awesome. Lucky you moving to an area where they are home too. Speaking of Pillars, ha. That's one game I played for an hour, and new I would never beat it. I could tell with the depth that I would have to dedicate some serious time to it. I made it to the part about the dead dwarf conversation too.

@Pleadco I also treat WoW as though I gave up doing hard drugs.

Currently playing Diablo III, (3rd playthrough) on PS3. My Monk is lvl 70, Paragon lvl 11. He's currently in Act III on Hard. And he does look badass :-D

My Monk was first playthrough on normal, then played again with a Crusader on normal. Now back to Monk on Hard, I did play about in adventure mode before getting bored and jumping into Hard. Lots of fun. My Monk now has fireballs with his lashing tail kick. Fireballs!! Fireballs are fucking cool!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still in Diablo III loop lol Monk is currently lvl 70 (Paragon lvl 31) in Act II on Expert. Looks fucking bad-ass and kicking some serious ass. Has confirmed me wanting some more Diablo artwork tattooed.

Regarding Elder Scrolls, is a game never got into to be honest, suppose was spoiled with Diablo? But I may also be biased in regards to Diablo lol