Video Game Thread

Brock Varty

The only game I played this year was X-Com on the iPad. I was addicted to the original series on PC, and this seemed like a godsend...

Now, a few months on, I'm like 'meh'. I think, despite the graphics, it's actually a shallower game than the old incarnations. The aliens are stupider and eventually it just feels really formulaic.

I don't think it's just nostalgia, the playability just isn't the same, IMO.

I'd still buy a sequel if it was a reboot of 'Terror from the deep' though... I still remember the thrill of fear as you encounter your first lobster man and realise that he can take a hit from your entire squad and still massacre them. (Sorry, getting carried away...)

I've been considering replaying Oblivion but melee style. When I played it with magic I found it to be frustrating as hell.

And the hubby-to-be and I are probably going to tackle Diablo 3 for PS3 as well. Stoked.

Oblivion is kind of frustrating no matter what I think. I abandoned the game when Oblivion Gates opened up all over everywhere because going into those to close them was annoying as hell. I should go back to it one day. Skyrim is still super awesome though, I love that game.

• 3 months later...

Is it against etiquette to bump up old threads? Thought I'd try to revive this one, with the new consoles coming out and all.

Currently playing Witcher 2, which I picked up on a Steam sale for $5... great game, I think I'm about 20 hours in now. Can't believe it took me so long to get around to playing it.

Is it against etiquette to bump up old threads? Thought I'd try to revive this one, with the new consoles coming out and all.

Currently playing Witcher 2, which I picked up on a Steam sale for $5... great game, I think I'm about 20 hours in now. Can't believe it took me so long to get around to playing it.

Perfectly okay to bump old threads. some good ones get forgotten in time and it is always appreciated when someone finds them and brings them out of the depths of LST!

I picked up a PS4 a few weeks ago and I am loving it. I'm currently working on ACIV, Ghosts, Battlefield 4, and FIFA '14. I suck at FIFA. I suck more at Battlefield 4. I suck a little less at CoD: Ghosts. I suck least at ACIV. All in all, the system is a bigger improvement than I thought it would be. Graphics are sharper and the new controllers fit my hands better. I understand that it will take a little while for the system to really shine. Overall, I like it better than the PS3. One slight drawback is that the new controllers are energy pigs and run down far too quickly. They have a gimicky headlight on them that I am pretty sure is death to battery life.

I was massively unimpressed with everything the new generation of consoles has to offer so I built a very nice gaming PC instead....couldn't be happier! Been playing Metro - last light, which is excellent, and Assassins creed 4, which has its faults, apart from sailing the high seas with shanties, which is ace. Also playing through Papers, Please, and Spelunky, both of which are fantastic.

I picked up the Witcher 2 as well on the steam sale - not got around to playing it yet, cant wait though!

I was massively unimpressed with everything the new generation of consoles has to offer so I built a very nice gaming PC instead....couldn't be happier! Been playing Metro - last light, which is excellent, and Assassins creed 4, which has its faults, apart from sailing the high seas with shanties, which is ace. Also playing through Papers, Please, and Spelunky, both of which are fantastic.

I picked up the Witcher 2 as well on the steam sale - not got around to playing it yet, cant wait though!

I think when I finally upgrade from my current gen xbox and high end laptop, i will go the "build your own gaming pc" route. There is just so much customization and such a cost/performance/use ratio that you cant get with consoles. I am actually really excited to build a pc. I should think about the fact that my laptop has the power to run any game at 60fps so maybe I should just use my laptop.

I'm about 16 hours into Fallout 3 (for the third time). Man, this game is fun. It's the first RPG (albeit action) I've ever really gotten into. I'm gonna play Skyrim next.

My mentor bought a PS4, and he is kinda "meh" about it. I think his kids are into it more than him.

I played the original Fallout on PC. Is Fallout 3 worth buying? Are the expansions a must?

The only reason I would buy a PS4 at this point is for the new games coming out in the next year. Right now I am squeezing in every last bit of Skyrim-romping I can before we cave and buy the PS4 in a few months (once it's available again, it's been a nightmare trying to hunt one down around this time of year).

@Diehardonvhs I really want to play Papers, Please. I've only heard good things.

I played the original Fallout on PC. Is Fallout 3 worth buying? Are the expansions a must?

If you get the game of the year edition, it's all included. But, I mean, they are fun, I wouldn't say a "must" for the storyline. Dude, you'll really enjoy it. It's fun. Nothing more exciting that blasting a big ole super mutant with Lincoln's repeater rifle. One shot. One kill.

I'm going to get a new console for the Mad Max game....when that comes out.

If you get the game of the year edition, it's all included. But, I mean, they are fun, I wouldn't say a "must" for the storyline. Dude, you'll really enjoy it. It's fun. Nothing more exciting that blasting a big ole super mutant with Lincoln's repeater rifle. One shot. One kill.

I'm going to get a new console for the Mad Max game....when that comes out.

I will have to try out the Game of the Year edition. What console do you play on duder?

@Brock Varty I'm going to second what @CultExciter says about Fallout 3. It's an incredible game. I don't have the Game of the Year edition, just the regular one without the expansions and there's more than enough depth in the game by itself that it's worth playing through a few times because the vastness of the world and things to explore seems almost limitless.

Skyrim is about the same, but with swords and magic.

Fallout 3 is one my favorite games ever. I think it was my #1 favorite until Skyrim came out. If you're into RPG's it's a must-have, and if you're not, it's still probably a must-have.

I've always been a PC gamer, but I'm tempted by the PS4. I've always been jealous of Sony's exclusives. Might cave and get one next year when they have some solid games out... played about 30 mins of Last of Us at a friend's house and wanted to get it real bad.

Edited by graybones
Keep sending before I'm done typing!!

Fallout 3 is amazing. Funnily enough, though, I enjoyed the early stages where I was skulking around hiding from raiders with a half-empty .32 and a baton more than later in the game in some ways. Once you start levelling up and get the repeater, plasma rifle etc you start to feel over-powered.

I never got around to buying New Vegas...

I presume there'll be a new Fallout game on the new gen of consoles. When it comes out I might splash out then!

I think when I finally upgrade from my current gen xbox and high end laptop' date=' i will go the "build your own gaming pc" route. There is just so much customization and such a cost/performance/use ratio that you cant get with consoles. I am actually really excited to build a pc. I should think about the fact that my laptop has the power to run any game at 60fps so maybe I should just use my laptop.[/quote']

My brother in law was a HUGE xbox guy, when he started school for computers he made the switch and now has built a kick ass gaming computer with multiple monitors and has gotten big into twitch for streaming his game and chatting.

I've considered the move myself but don't really have the time or motivation to play anymore.