Back of neck tattoos.

ShaneRealz

Do you think that tattoos on your back that sneak up and poke out of your shirt on the neck have the same stigmas and neck and throat tattoos?

I ask because while there is no tattoo policy in my job or anything, I still like the idea of above the wrist and below the neck but I think what I have planned for my shoulders will have to poke out up the back of my shirt just a touch?

Opinions?

I think if someone is going to view visible tattoos in anegative way, the back of the neck will not be any different than anywhere else visible.

While I agree with this, I think the stigma for a tattoo that is on the back of the neck would be less than on the front. If people can't see it in face-to-face interactions with you I wouldn't think there would be as much of a problem.

Also @ShaneRealz, on the back of the neck you also have the option of wearing a collared shirt, and if that's not quite enough, wearing said shirt with the collar popped. Unless of course wearing your collar popped will subject you to more prejudice than the tattoo itself....

I have to agree that although it is less visible on the back that there is a stigma none the less with visible tattoos. If you have any doubt in your mind you should avoid anything you can not cover. Professionalism in the workplace is an important part of success in any career field and some career fields offer great opportunities regardless of your tattoos. However, many people change careers. If there is any possibility that you may get stuck on the career ladder as a result of a tattoo perhaps you should be cautious with your choice of placement. There is something to be said for being able to cover up when you want to, and obviously you can not go back once you make that great leap.

I'm a signwriter by trade. I do know people change careers and I'm still fairly young. I dont have a problem with visible tattoos as I have both arms from wrist to shoulder tattooed and one leg, I wear t-shirts most days. But the face, side of the neck, throat etc seems to me, to be a bit more intense than other visible tattoos. I personally dont have a problem getting the back of my neck done, I was just wondering what other people stigmas are for it.

A good option maybe to take a collared shirt with me and draw a line where the collar sits and keeping it below that.

I have to agree that although it is less visible on the back that there is a stigma none the less with visible tattoos. If you have any doubt in your mind you should avoid anything you can not cover. Professionalism in the workplace is an important part of success in any career field and some career fields offer great opportunities regardless of your tattoos. However, many people change careers. If there is any possibility that you may get stuck on the career ladder as a result of a tattoo perhaps you should be cautious with your choice of placement. There is something to be said for being able to cover up when you want to, and obviously you can not go back once you make that great leap.

Then again... I hear that turtleneck shirts are making a comeback...

Rob

I definitely don't think it has the same stigma as neck and throat. It may still have a stigma, for those who hate all tattoos...but less so. I think there are plenty of people who don't really mind tattoos but for whatever reason are turned off by neck/face ones. I have one on my upper back that ends at the base of my neck and it shows often at work, more than I thought it would because I have long hair, but my hair doesn't always cover it. Some of my arm ones show there too. Nobody minds. I'm quite certain if I had throat or sides of neck tattoos, it would be different.

I have a tiny-ass tattoo on the back of my neck--it shows all the time because I have short hair (when I got it I had hair down to my ass of course) but nobody has ever treated it like a big deal, though it does generate more stupid questions than anything else I've got. My fault for getting something in a foreign alphabet. It seems more on the level of a little wrist tattoo than something more in your face like the side of the neck. It might be different if you have the WHOLE of the back of your neck covered, but if people are gonna stare at me like a three-headed peacock, it's never because of that one.

While I only really have experience in the über-corporate world I will say that in the environments I work in unless you were military most people do a double-take when they see tattoos in the workplace. Even then people make remarks behind their backs, which can and will effect your advancement somewhere along the line. I know people that have jumped careers (hell my mom went from framer to illustrator to High School teacher) so you never know. If you are younger (sub-35) I would suggest against it but everyone has to look at it themselves. I'm keeping anything above the collar and below the wrists for my retirement present.

While I only really have experience in the über-corporate world I will say that in the environments I work in unless you were military most people do a double-take when they see tattoos in the workplace. Even then people make remarks behind their backs, which can and will effect your advancement somewhere along the line. I know people that have jumped careers (hell my mom went from framer to illustrator to High School teacher) so you never know. If you are younger (sub-35) I would suggest against it but everyone has to look at it themselves. I'm keeping anything above the collar and below the wrists for my retirement present.

You will make an awesome client for someone in the future. A 60ish dude coming in for sick neck tats brah!