Perseverance - Japanese Tattoo Tradition in the Modern World

beez

@Lance et al : PLEASE give a full report!!! Pics if allowed!! I really wish I could be there!! Junii hadn't quite yet decided the full dint of her lecture when I was there last week, so I am curious to know what she lands on. So if anyone goes, I can't wait to hear.

Hopefully I can get back down to LA before September (and not October, thanks @Lance :p), because I definitely want to see in person.

JEALOUS!

Definitely meet up if you guys get a chance. @cltattooing and I were just discussing this over in the 'awesome things you've been doing' thread -LSTers are awesome folk.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha, we'd love to meet you. He (or we) will be going up to everyone there, "Lance? Lance?" Wait, wasn't there supposed to be some type of code word for LST-ers to find each other in a crowd? I do have an LST t-shirt...

The t-shirt helped ease me over the awkward hump at the Bay Area Convention. Because otherwise you're just people staring at people and that is kind of weird and possibly creepy until the LST connection is made. When I saw the shirt I was able to point and grunt excitedly (i was still awkward ;p) and I think that's how I met @Scott R, @ian and @cvportagee - easily identified by the shirt.

codeword: squidpants :cool:

I also wore my LST shirt at the con in October, I don't think it did any good though, haha. Everyone that I ran into from the board I had already met over dinner.

Also looking forward to a full report on this show. I'm going to the ATAK show tonight, so I'll be sure to take a boatload of pictures.

@Lance et al : PLEASE give a full report!!! Pics if allowed!! I really wish I could be there!! Junii hadn't quite yet decided the full dint of her lecture when I was there last week, so I am curious to know what she lands on. So if anyone goes, I can't wait to hear.

Hopefully I can get back down to LA before September (and not October, thanks @Lance :p), because I definitely want to see in person.

JEALOUS!

Definitely meet up if you guys get a chance. @cltattooing and I were just discussing this over in the 'awesome things you've been doing' thread -LSTers are awesome folk.

- - - Updated - - -

The t-shirt helped ease me over the awkward hump at the Bay Area Convention. Because otherwise you're just people staring at people and that is kind of weird and possibly creepy until the LST connection is made. When I saw the shirt I was able to point and grunt excitedly (i was still awkward ;p) and I think that's how I met @Scott R, @ian and @cvportagee - easily identified by the shirt.

So as it turns out, Kim had to change the date of our appointment this Saturday so our little family will be there. If anyone sees us, say hi. I will try to wear my LST shirt, but if it's cold it'll be covered up by a sweatshirt...

JEALOUS!

- - - Updated - - -

I will definitely give a full report, no worries. But it definitely won't be anything compared to actually making it down before it ends @beez. Too bad it's still not exhibiting while SFO Convention is going on. Make it happen, you know you want too, what's rent money?

@DJDeepFried, @TrixieFaux, great news. I never thought I'd say that when hearing someone cancel a tattoo session. I definitely plan to be there both Friday and Saturday so I'll see you there. Also @Reyeslv, @irezumi, @Jen Beirola, and all the rest who are going, looking forward to seeing you again or meeting everyone.

and @cltattooing, please give us an update about the Analog Show. I really wish I was still living part-time in SF.

I had the pleasure of hanging around while Taki checked the exhibition yesterday and did his press conference.

I don't normally get involved in gallery shows and museums because they usually focus on the paintings tattooers produce which doesn't interest me as much as tattoos but this is and incredible thing for me to be part of. Mostly because of the other tattooers involved.

It's a small-ish exhibit as far as museums go but there's a hell of a lot to see. I'm not going to review it, I'll leave that to others, I just wanted to share a few of the photos I took yesterday. I checked with Taki and he's ok with me posting them here but most of all: Photography is encouraged at this exhibition. If you post the shots to instagram, twitter etc. Please hashtag them #JANMtattooshow

Enjoy.

Well, that was a great experience! @DJDeepFried took a bunch of great photos so those are coming. We got to meet @Lance and @Stewart Robson, plus a bunch of other tattoo artists we admire, like Shige, Horitomo, Bonny, Juni, Kaneko, Brand, Chuey... Seeing those back pieces in person (esp. a couple by Gogue who we also met) was really sweet. Never saw so much beautiful work in one place.

PS. Lance you are not pudgy! And Stewart, sorry Stella tried to punch you in the stomach. She liked you, and she is a crazed lunatic after eating Tootsie Rolls.

Ahhh, Perseverance, what can I say? It was awesome! But everyone already knew it was going to be. Here's a rushed description of the exhibit space itself. This doesn't do it justice or describe the energy on Friday and SaturdayI'll write something up later regarding the actual experience of this exhibition mixing people with tattoo knowledge mingling with those who don't (that was interesting. Kind of cool in a funny way), the lectures, tattooing, etc, which were all cool too. I'm just too tired right now. But it was great to see Reyeslv on Friday, and @TrixieFaux & @DJDeepFried on Saturday. Btw, DJdeepfried, get that spot with Stewart Robson! You've got to. I was too shy to introduce myself to him, again (headsmack!!!)

For those who did not make it out to the opening and can't go due to travel restraints it's located on the upper level level of JANM. The exhibit is contained within 2 rooms. Before you even enter the exhibit the anticipation builds as you encounter kites hanging from the ceiling leading you towards the exhibit. On each kite is printed a close up of someone's tattoos echoing the woodblock printings on kites of Japan's past. It's an effective drum roll as your pace quickens to drink in all that will come mere steps away. Once you enter you're greeted with an explosion of these kites suspended from the ceiling and not only the kites but you are welcomed by a large floating temple style gate sitting in the center of the rectangular space. Starting at one side of the gate, ringing around and ending at the opposite side are suspended panels of life size bodysuits created by the 7 artists that are the main feature of the exhibit. When you step inside, each panel displays a Client's back. As you walk around you see the Client's front. It's quite impressive. Especially when you are in the center of it all ringed on all sides by these amazing images. Hanging on the exhibit walls are a series of double rowed smaller photographs lined up and down. In the second room there are more photos placed in double rows on the wall. On the white walls, are intricate reproductions in black brush strokes are drawings by some of the tattooers. On one wall a koi, another a dragon, a third, Benten, etc. these pairings work well with the photos and subject matter and also informed where photos were hanged in arrangement. It's all very clean and well thought out. One wall in particular,which I thought was a great idea, is dedicated to those who don't have knowledge about Japanese motifs. There are descriptions behind certain supernatural entities flowers, warriors, etc. This was nice and absolutely essential for anyone not familiar with Japanese tattoos and helps inform viewers. Also, within this 2nd room, floating just off center from the center was a large curving panoramic depicting 13 of Shige's Clients. If you are a fan of Shige's, this is a must see Soaking it in was a delight. All of the exhibit was a delight and deliberate. All the elements not on walls were suspended. The kites, temple gates, Shige's panoramic. All were floating and I couldn't help but think this was a deliberate act to allude to the ideas of the "floating world" of old Japan. Even if this wasn't deliberate, I think it's a cool thought.

Accompanying this was the exhibit catalogue. Oh my! It's so amazing! This will be my favorite book for a while. it's absolutely worth more than the $20 you pay. I love the images of course, but also how it's broken down. I think it and the exhibit does great justice to tattooing. The format is awesome. From including descriptions regarding Japanese tattoo elements such as munewari and soushinbori, to showing traditional Japanese tattoos and tattoos influenced not by Japanese subject but by Japanese form. Basically a bunch of good things in it.

My favorite of which is a chapter specifically dedicated to Chris Brand's 108 heroes of Los Angeles.

Another favorite is a chapter featuring the work of Onizuka Tattoo owned by Lil Tokyo Jiro in LA. I haven't heard many shout outs for this shop but Iv'e been aware of them for years. 3 Japanese ex-pats working out of Little Tokyo. Jiro Yaguchi who has crazy solid work, and works by machine, LA Horitaka from the Horitoshi I Family doing tebori work, and Jakoh who's work has a modern twist. I'm happy to see them get attention. If I hadn't gotten tattooed by Jill Bonny 5 years ago, I'd probably be going to Jiro right now.

Taki, Kip Fulbeck, and all involved deserve a great deal of congratulations on a job well done and our thanks for putting something like this out to the world, not just the tattoo community.

Btw it's also awesome to look at this book and see larger images of 3 torso tattoos depicting Fudo Myo-o by Horitomo, Shige and @Stewart Robson. All 3 are uniquely their own and equally beautiful. I wish they were shown together.

DSC05681.jpg

This isn't Yokohama Horiken. It's actually Miyazo and he's tattooing Yebis, who also had work in the exhibition.

I only correct this because in my opinion Miyazo is possibly the most exciting tattooer working in the world right now. What Chris Brand is doing with the 108 heroes is very interesting and commendable and the other artists involved in this exhibit are fantastic, but for me Miyazo's work has a flow and rhythm that is both bold, delicate and breathtaking. Qualities rarely found together in any medium.

@Lance I thought we'd already spoke at SFO last year? not a formal introduction but I think we exchanged words. Just say Hi - it's easier than walking through a crowd in a fundoshi.

All I'm prepared to say right now it that I found the exhibition, lectures and whole experience incredibly positive and personally overwhelming.

I feel disappointed to know that this is something I will never get to see, so thank you all for the media and updates! It looks like a great time.

Me too :( but we can buy the book from the JANM store. Only $20 plus shipping. Based on the descriptions of the show written so far i can't wait to flip through it.

Also based on the success of this show someone (maybe Rubendall) has to be thinking about putting together a NYC exhibit. Right? Wishful thinking...

I stand corrected. Thanks, @Stewart Robson! Thanks for the wrap-up, @Lance. It was great meeting you.

The number of incredible artists and work on display -- in both the photographs and on people's bodies -- was astounding. It gave me a new appreciation for Japanese-style tattooing which you simply can't get looking at a tiny pic on Instagram. The catalog is beautiful and a steal at twenty bucks. Mine, of course, is signed (jealous?) by many of the contributors, including Stewart. One funny thing about that. At the signing tables, the name tags ID'ed people by their "hori" names. Jill "Horiyuki" (Bonny) Halpin was pretty easy to spot, but I had to ask Horishiki, "Um, can I ask you, what's your American name?" and he's like "Chris Brand." I'm a huge fan of his work, but I had no clue what he looked like. Same with Jeff Gogue. We were admiring two of his back pieces -- including a gorgeous one of two ravens that we had just seen in the exhibit upstairs -- and the guy's like, "Oh, well the artist is right there." And he was, three feet away, all quiet and humble like he wasn't gonna say anything. I did pronounce his name right (GO-GWAY) so that's something.