As,per my knowledge I will like to say that Russians are famous for making good & attractive tattoos. As,they have specialty in making it. It is a nice thing but they charge more for it. I suggest that people must make tattoo from Russians. You will get the best designs & patterns for it.

Or you could save yourself a whole bunch of money. Visit Russia and kill someone.

Then for few packets of cigarettes you can get some very nice tattoos.

Back on subject. I'm booked in to get this on Friday 13th July. It's from volume 1 of the Russian Prison Tattoo book.

I've modified it a bit and added a little red. I'm a bit funny about getting exact copies of these tattoos, probably because I spent a bit of time in a corrective institution as a teenager. For me prison tattoos are earned. But hey that’s just me.

• 10 months later...

I've got the owl with top hat on a crow bar on my chest. To be honest i didn't know it was a russian tattoo untill some time after i had had it done! I had just asked for an interesting owl tattoo and the tattooist had returned with that design. After someone mentioned that it was a cool russian tattoo i researched and i am now actually wondering if it is a little dangerous to keep it, incase seen by the wrong eyes... or if it is too old and unused nowadays to matter... don't suppose anyone has any thoughts on this?

0955006198.1.zoom.jpg

The artist didn't mention the origins, eh? Seems like that was some information that should have been conveyed to you prior to getting it permanently affixed. Perhaps put off that Russian vacation for a while. (Just watched Mark of Cain again last night.)

If you're really regretting it or afraid of consequences or anything BUT you don't want to deal with removal, you can get it covered up or altered....a lot. I'd say that'd be a cheaper choice and still OK as long as the image is changed enough. Maybe keep the owl itself and have something else cover the hat and replace the crowbar with something else? Toss in some extra junk, roses, a banner, whatever.

I love those books and designs. But getting one would be like getting an American gang tattoo. I'm not a criminal first of all, and don't want anyone to think so. Secondly I don't want to disrespect those people who are by making their life some novelty (not saying you did, just speaking in general.) Finally, I've heard people who've gotten them say things like "Well I'll never go to Russia" or "I'll just not show it if I go." Still, it's not like there's not Russians here. Or others who know. Or that doesn't make it "OK" to me.

Anyway, I don't care what country or gang or whatever it's representing, to make a novelty out of it is disrespectful and the last thing I wanna do is disrespect guys like that. I may not agree with their lifestyle or choices, but shit, some didn't even choose it ESPECIALLY in Russia (and even more so the USSR where many of those originated.)

Again, not saying you did any of that, I was just saying in general.

I'll ride with JeffK on this one, and advise that you get it altered.

Behaving in Russia, well, in the unlikely event that you did go there, if anyone saw it, it wouldn't matter how you behaved, you'd draw serious attention.

And there are many communities in the States that are populated mainly by Russian expats, with a sizeable Thief-in-Law presence. You could find yourself the recipient of unwanted attention there too. Not sure if you have that type of thing in the UK, but wouldn't doubt it.

- - - Updated - - -

...But getting one would be like getting an American gang tattoo. I'm not a criminal first of all, and don't want anyone to think so. Secondly I don't want to disrespect those people who are by making their life some novelty ...

Anyway, I don't care what country or gang or whatever it's representing, to make a novelty out of it is disrespectful and the last thing I wanna do is disrespect guys like that. I may not agree with their lifestyle or choices, but shit, some didn't even choose it ....

Jeff, you're one of the few that I've seen voice a sensible opinion about that over the years. Guess being a Chicagoan helps PEOPLE to see that kinda thing. I think too many look at these images, or images they see in movies/magazines/whatever, and just see a "cool" image that would look so tough.

And then they meet a gangster and things go downhill from there.

It's kinda like the fashion statements. I absolutely love waiting for friends in the International Terminal at O'Hare, seeing all the Euros heading out of the terminal, their kids-and sometimes them-with one pant-leg rolled up, or a baseball hat all busted right or left, jailin tough, Lakers gear, or like that...they have no fucking clue. Always want to warn them, but I know from experience they just won't listen!

I've got the owl with top hat on a crow bar on my chest. To be honest i didn't know it was a russian tattoo untill some time after i had had it done! I had just asked for an interesting owl tattoo and the tattooist had returned with that design. After someone mentioned that it was a cool russian tattoo i researched and i am now actually wondering if it is a little dangerous to keep it, incase seen by the wrong eyes... or if it is too old and unused nowadays to matter... don't suppose anyone has any thoughts on this?

0955006198.1.zoom.jpg

Just catching up with this thread. Care to post a pic?

There ya go, I was really pleased with it when it was done... buuut now i'm a little unsure as to whether to keep it or change it etcetc..

attachment.php?attachmentid=12577&d=1367269571

What a hassel. There have been some really good points made here. If it were me, I'd get it altered. But I would go to a different artsist.

Yea I'd be skeptical about keeping it unchanged. Hell, I get a slight sense of nervousness just having a "13" on me in fear of running into an MS13 gang member.

I will say I'm really glad I opted out of the original design inwas going to get with my Friday the 13th tattoo. My buddy just bought the Russian criminal tattoo book, and we were going through all the symbols. At the last second I opted out of getting one next to the 13. Although it would've been cool, I share the same sentiment that its a bit disrespectful because it holds no meaning to me other than being a tattoo.

Plus I just don't wanna get stabbed. It's a bad look for me