Tonight I was looking around the various pages/links we have under the LST Preferred Tattoo Professionals and enjoyed them all as I always try to visit these various pages to see what's going down around the world regularly. But the one I must share tonight is Luke Wessman's who is always doing awesome tattoos but also maybe because I am getting ready to head south for sometime and am dreaming of better days with money to get tattooed but stuck looking at pictures because if I had the paper I would be getting tattooed by him while down there! Below are two recent pictures he posted plus I found this little bit he wrote on Scott so it became even more relevant for the site. Any LSTers have any of his tattoos and pictures? Hope you enjoy not only the below but his site and tattoos as much as I often do....

Scott Sylvia

...when I started getting tattooed I had no idea about “good tattoos” I was just proud to have them...and at the time for me they added to my “dont mess with me” look...when you grow up around gang members the meaner you could look the less the big homies would mess with you. anyway the more I got tattooed the the more I started to learn about different tattooers and tattooing in general ”the craft” so to speak a few people at the time (90’s) really stood out to me more then all the rest...Scott Sylvia’s flash and tattoos in particular...he always struck me as a no nonsense tattooer that did great solid tattoos...so my point is ...I finely got a tattoo from him....Ive never been one to go out and get tattooed by “popular artist” for the most part...but I have to give respect where it is due. and honestly this man is probably not popular enough...but i dont really think he gives a shit about that...and all the people that know...know.

thanks for my tattoo Scott

Respect

BlackheartTattooSF

...and thanks Opie for randomly taking this photo..thanks homes !

luke is definitely a stand up guy! i had the pleasure of getting tattooed by him while on my honeymoon in florida...he used to go beteween his shop Lucky's in san diego and 305 ink (miami ink) every few weeks...anyways..he was super cool with me and definitely gave me the homie hook up down there...3 hour tattoo for $300...i think shop rate was like $200hr...i have a friend who co-owns lucky's with him and a few friends that have worked there for them...rad guys...rad shop!! i feel at home as soon as i get there when io do guest spots. if any of you ever get the chance to get tattooed by him, do it! i want a few more pieces from him sometime. sorry for the creamy man thigh this early in the morning..hahah

tattoo is about 4 1/2 yrs old now.

63560_1250402196507_1723073924_474487_7507896_n.jpg

Lochlan, have you seen this? Stumbled upon it on Tim Hendricks' blog.

http://www.soiclave.com/selfmade/

Yeah thanks I saw it awhile ago and actually rewatched it last night. Oceanside is just north some miles from where I grew up so it's interesting to see how much that town and the other beach towns in San Diego are now almost completely different. It was put together really well.

Hambone, thanks for the tattoo picture and story.

• 2 weeks later...

Me and Lochlan had the pleasure of visiting Lucky's and meeting Luke while in San Diego for the holidays. Beautiful shop with tons of great art on the walls. It's on the corner of 10th and Broadway and you can't miss it going by- huge roses cover the exterior of the building.

Here's some photos of Luke's work pulled from Lucky's myspace:

l_982cf1a080334dd9bac83be84b1699ed.jpg

l_43c2a36a944d87e2e3a8a8344f50d3a3.jpg

l_f57da47636ece7611fed06d7ac4d6a1c.jpg

l_cdae0456e5424e47a9b647721ba22564.jpg

l_bf916f5e8da448688b6230ce6c0d355f.jpg

Both Lochlan and I left the shop super stoked on the experience. Made us both want to go to the ATM and pull out cash for some xmas presents to ourselves.

It is a great privilege to be able to work at Luckys. Luke is the realist down to earth guy I've ever met and Im proud to say I work for him. I enjoyed meeting you guys the other night. Im glad you enjoyed the shop. small world right jake? hahahaha

Pleasure meeting you as well Esteban! Thanks for the hospitality and joining the site.

Luke Wessman just wrote up this nice lil shot out on LST and the Freddy Corbin Interview on his blog:

Freddy Corbin interview

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

the tattoo forum lastsparrowtattoo.com has just posted this part 1 of 3 video interview of my friend and one of the few tattooers that I look up to in tattooing Freddy Corbin.

when I started tattooing it was at Dave Gibsons Luckys and it was full of his own hand painted flash floor to sealing...but we did have a few sheets of flash by people who he liked or was cool with. Freddy was one of the few. so I was a fan of him since I first seen his flash back then in the 90s

now not until sometime in the early 2000s I was fortunate enough to officially meet and even do a little work with Freddy in Miami...I was very pleased and surprised to find he was as cool as they come. as over the years I had learned not to expect much from the tattooers, that as a younger tattooer I may have once emulated and looked up to, until I met them and they were a lousy drunk, or a out of control addict, or just a dumbass dick.

anyway Freddy is a all class guy. I look up to him, I respect his word, Character, and his tattooing. He has always treated me with respect and courtesy over the years and even offers priceless advice to me from time to time.

thanks Freddy

BTS Crew

cant wait to see part 2

Thanks Luke!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs046.snc6/167689_495642395278_195126415278_5883171_1990606_n.jpg, http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1362.snc4/163457_495740630278_195126415278_5883684_1913068_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs079.snc6/168938_495741100278_195126415278_5883687_5752435_n.jpg

I got these last night by Luke Wessman. I got the girl version of this panther last September. I've been working with him to get a sleeve complete, but me being in the Navy kind of restricts me from getting a complete sleeve. I'm adding to it little by little though. ANd yes that is the Wu-Tang Clan "W"

I can honestly say I don't feel like just a paying customer when I visit Luke, he treats you as if you've been his homey for a number of years. He's given me great advice on my persuit of a tattooing career, he has even given me amazing critiques on my art work. The fact that he took time off to look at my art work is proof enough, he's a real class act.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs046.snc6/167689_495642395278_195126415278_5883171_1990606_n.jpg, http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1362.snc4/163457_495740630278_195126415278_5883684_1913068_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs079.snc6/168938_495741100278_195126415278_5883687_5752435_n.jpg

I got these last night by Luke Wessman. I got the girl version of this panther last September. I've been working with him to get a sleeve complete, but me being in the Navy kind of restricts me from getting a complete sleeve. I'm adding to it little by little though. ANd yes that is the Wu-Tang Clan "W"

I can honestly say I don't feel like just a paying customer when I visit Luke, he treats you as if you've been his homey for a number of years. He's given me great advice on my persuit of a tattooing career, he has even given me amazing critiques on my art work. The fact that he took time off to look at my art work is proof enough, he's a real class act.

I love that cholo panther tattoo

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the pleasure of working with Luke a lot and I have to say he is my personal hero of how a real tattooer should be. Not only does he make great tattoos but his whole attitude and way of life emits positivity. In a ever changing business where 90% of tattooers bring nothing to the table of tattooing we are in desperate need of more people like Luke Wessman.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

that video is sooo cool! thanks for posting that jake! did anyone else see the mega long interview with Luke Wessman that was in the last bound by ink magazine? it was really neat to read about his life and how he got started especially after learning about him first on this website!