where did the tattooers go?

I kinda sound like a dick in my previous posts. There's a lot of room for communication on here both public and private and by contributing and posting more there is better opportunity to build interactions with rad people both tattooer and collector.

I kinda sound like a dick in my previous posts.

Um, no you didn't. And I hope I didn't sound condescending or bitchy, either. That's the funny thing about the internet, without seeing someone's face, and hearing their tone, things that are meant as positive can read neutral, and words that are meant neutral seem negative. That's why emoticons are supposed to be used in forums, but we all seem to same the emoticons for our bodies. Plus they make me feel like a teenage girl.

@David Flores, I think you're right about cleaning/consolidating some of the threads. And you're right, there would need to be an actual tattooer mod if that section existed. Our mods work really hard and spend a lot of valuable hours on here, I don't know what tattooer is ready to take that on for us. The politics of who's accepted sounds like a nightmare. Talk about sounding like a dick!

@JAllen, of course, we very much appreciate your contributions. And I can't imagine how much it would suck to be away from your family. Your wife must be much nicer than I am.

Regarding technology glitches, the p key and the backspace key on our keyboard were broken for a month before we finally replaced it. So annoying.

My wife is for sure the awesomest person I've ever met. And yes, that keyboard scenario would be a nightmare! Haha! Technology is a double edged sword.

When I joined the forum there were a good amount of tattooers here as well as 'collectors' that for the most that had a good idea of the ethics of tattooing.

Of course we want the forum to grow and in the growth you'll get some advanced collectors but you'll also get many newbies. I get the feeling that the tattooers that post/used to post here don't have time or just don't want to educate the public on tattoo ethics, especially after tattooing all day.

I did see @The Hyena over the weekend, super cool dude with some amazing flash he was selling, and I told him it's be nice to see him around here more often. He said he's going to make an effort to post more.

No offense to anyone but maybe a lot of the recent topics are too ridiculous for advanced tattooers to want to bother with and may actually be a turn off to them...

I'm not sure what you mean by "ethics" here and I'm not sure that it's even my place to be commenting on this thread partly because I don't tattoo, partly because I'm not sure that my contribution to this board, on the whole, has been a positive one, but one of the things that I've found frustrating lately as a "collector" is the number of people coming here wanting quick and easy answers. I think this forum is in a tricky position because on the one hand, it's great that people are finding it and are learning things and getting really great tattoos as a result, but at the same time, I would really like to see this place offer something a little deeper than just how to get a good tattoo. I really like what Stewart wrote about "explorers" and about how learning and discovery are worthwhile pursuits in themselves. Getting tattooed has enriched my life immeasurably because through tattoos I've learned a lot about art and culture, I've met some truly inspiring and amazing people, and I've had what I feel are really profound human experiences and this is all worth the time, effort, and money I've put into it, and I'd like this to be more of a community that fundamentally understands that, rather than just a place for people to come and ask about what to get for their first tattoo and then never return or give anything back to this community.

I'm not sure what you mean by "ethics" here and I'm not sure that it's even my place to be commenting on this thread partly because I don't tattoo, partly because I'm not sure that my contribution to this board, on the whole, has been a positive one, but one of the things that I've found frustrating lately as a "collector" is the number of people coming here wanting quick and easy answers. I think this forum is in a tricky position because on the one hand, it's great that people are finding it and are learning things and getting really great tattoos as a result, but at the same time, I would really like to see this place offer something a little deeper than just how to get a good tattoo. I really like what Stewart wrote about "explorers" and about how learning and discovery are worthwhile pursuits in themselves. Getting tattooed has enriched my life immeasurably because through tattoos I've learned a lot about art and culture, I've met some truly inspiring and amazing people, and I've had what I feel are really profound human experiences and this is all worth the time, effort, and money I've put into it, and I'd like this to be more of a community that fundamentally understands that, rather than just a place for people to come and ask about what to get for their first tattoo and then never return or give anything back to this community.

Thanks Graeme. I kind of feel the same way, and am glad you were able to explain it as I struggle without sounding like a snob. Tattooer or not, I think everyone wants a forum that they can both contribute and learn from. The 17th thread about where to go get tattooed in San Diego does neither at this point. Maybe there is a little resentment towards some new people who feel like this forum is some sort of tattoo coincerige service, obligated to hold their hand every step of the way or maybe it's just too much like a real tattoo shop in some ways.

I came to this forum as a fluke, stayed here because there are so few people that actually understand or appreciate, tattooing. The people who do have that appreciation are some of the most amazing people I have ever internet met in my life and I am truly lucky to have found this forum. I don't see myself leaving if for just that reason alone, and I am willing to do what ever I can to keep this forum relevant.

@David Flores and @Graeme, I loved what you both had to say. I was never on a forum before this one, so of course I took it very seriously, but there are lots of people who join all kinds of forums for things they're only moderately interested in, it seems. I remember Bubbleberry mentioning that he was on lots of forums and that none of the others were as serious or hostile as us. (Clearly my interpretation of his words.)

I recently joined a gun forum because I needed info on something any gun enthusiast would consider rediculous. But guess what? Someone else had been foolish enough to ask the question, and there amongst the "I smell a troll" and "show me a picture of the gun and the blonde" jokes, my answer was there. I won't be posting there, but I might go back and sniff around for already posted answers when I have more really, really, really dumb questions.

@David Flores and @Graeme, I loved what you both had to say. I was never on a forum before this one, so of course I took it very seriously, but there are lots of people who join all kinds of forums for things they're only moderately interested in, it seems. I remember Bubbleberry mentioning that he was on lots of forums and that none of the others were as serious or hostile as us. (Clearly my interpretation of his words.)

I recently joined a gun forum because I needed info on something any gun enthusiast would consider rediculous. But guess what? Someone else had been foolish enough to ask the question, and there amongst the "I smell a troll" and "show me a picture of the gun and the blonde" jokes, my answer was there. I won't be posting there, but I might go back and sniff around for already posted answers when I have more really, really, really dumb questions.

I used to belong to an MMA forum, what a bunch of idiots. No one had any respect for anyone and everyone viewed it as a dick measuring contest. In the late 90's I had some friends that were doing tough man contests and kickboxing in Denver area, then they had a couple UFC's in Denver, what can I say i've been a fan, but can't deal with that crowd. I kind of feel the same way with the gun crowd. I like guns, have guns, like talking to real collecters and experts, have no use for the boneheads.

This forum is way better than any forum I have been on, and this is the only tattoo forum I use.

Getting tattooed has enriched my life immeasurably because through tattoos I've learned a lot about art and culture, I've met some truly inspiring and amazing people, and I've had what I feel are really profound human experiences and this is all worth the time, effort, and money I've put into it

Me too.

I imagine that most tattooed people (especially heavily tattooed people) feel the same.

Which is why I think it's the job of everybody here at LST to try to be thoughtful, insightful, open and intelligent in what they post outside of the deliberate joke/hang-out threads. I like to goof off as much as the next person (see my twitter feed and instagram comments as evidence) but every time I see "Get a ROA!" in a thread, I stop reading. In-jokes and scene memes can be fun until they get in the way of intelligent discussion.

There are a few regular posters who I see get stuck in with jokes but also they give sound advice, get good tattoos and seem to know their shit as well as drop pearls of insightful wisdom they learned from personal experience, not gossip on the internet. Those are the guys who keep me coming back here although I first came for the tattooers.

Cult you are about to find out YOU were the first vehicle for influence. It was your post on Boyer followed by drive up the road to Staunton to get inked by Tim Forbus that originally got me looking at their work. After seeing Tim's Sacred Heart and one of his Gypsy Ladyheads, I gave him a call. Since then I have been inked by him twice. He was able to blow me away with my second piece as it was the most important one I'll ever own; it contains my girls names.

img_1399_thumb.jpg

I told Tim I found him because of this site.

I saw that piece online and loved it! Congrats. And I was glad to oblige. We're pretty damn lucky here in Virginia. Good tattoos aren't too far away.

Thanks Graeme. I kind of feel the same way, and am glad you were able to explain it as I struggle without sounding like a snob. Tattooer or not, I think everyone wants a forum that they can both contribute and learn from. The 17th thread about where to go get tattooed in San Diego does neither at this point. Maybe there is a little resentment towards some new people who feel like this forum is some sort of tattoo coincerige service, obligated to hold their hand every step of the way or maybe it's just too much like a real tattoo shop in some ways.

I came to this forum as a fluke, stayed here because there are so few people that actually understand or appreciate, tattooing. The people who do have that appreciation are some of the most amazing people I have ever internet met in my life and I am truly lucky to have found this forum. I don't see myself leaving if for just that reason alone, and I am willing to do what ever I can to keep this forum relevant.

@David Flores @Graeme @Stewart Robson Nailed it! I came here as a fluke back in July 2011 and just stuck around. I don't really post anything unless I think I have something relevant to say (I a'int looking to up my post numbers,) but this is the only forum I check daily. It's a nice little community and I hope it stays that way (I bought a T-shirt for God's sake!)

If you wanna know what true internet snobbery is like get on any Gibson guitar forum or any kind of guitar amp forum. Jesus, those tonechasing corksniffers will spend every dollar they ever made and still can't play guitar for shit.

I knew almost nothing about tattoos when I joined LST and now I know a little more. I'm sincerely grateful for the fascinating discussions and deeper insights -- not to mention the abundance of kick-ass tattoo pics the board has provided. But if ALL this forum did was help folks to find out "how to get a good tattoo" -- that's huge in and of itself. I see almost nothing but crappy tattoos out there among the general public. If LST can steer some people away from hacks and scratchers and show 'em that there's more to consider when choosing a tattooer than just the price... Well, that's a valuable community service right there. I figure many of the great artists on here don't have any problem finding new customers. But if regular folks were just a little more educated and knowledgeable about tattoos, it's got to be good for the community as a whole -- and spare the rest of us from looking at eyesores like no-outline blobs and upside-down script. Guy at the hardware store the other day was admiring my work, asked me where I got it (and how much I paid for it) and wanted a recommendation for a good shop in the L.A. area. I asked him what style he was into -- traditional, Japanese, black & gray -- and he looked at me like I was speaking French. I should've just told him to join the board and look around a bit, and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't.

Going through all of this, I can certainly understand tattooers getting tired of having people ax the same lame questions every day. Maybe someting to think about would be an addition to the boards, something like "The Lotion Board", "The There's a Tattoo on my Pimple" board, the "Why is my Tattoo Healing/Not Healing/Turning Green" board, like that, to address the commonest questions and get them out of the way.

Going through all of this, I can certainly understand tattooers getting tired of having people ax the same lame questions every day. Maybe someting to think about would be an addition to the boards, something like "The Lotion Board", "The There's a Tattoo on my Pimple" board, the "Why is my Tattoo Healing/Not Healing/Turning Green" board, like that, to address the commonest questions and get them out of the way.

I'm telling you merging threads as soon as you see redundant threads. People would get the hint right away if every time the asked a question that was already answered it was moved to a thread where 20 other people asked a similar question, it would promote searching the board and clean up the board. I have some suggested titles

What should I get tattooed ( people not sure about design, or people's first tattoo)

Who should tattoo me (thread people can ask advice about what tattooers are in their area)

This one should probably include links to the shops page on this site and the endless days blog about tattooers and the forbes tattoo list.

What is wrong with my tattoo( People freaking out about the healing process)

That would be 95% of threads right there.

I'm telling you merging threads as soon as you see redundant threads. People would get the hint right away if every time the asked a question that was already answered it was moved to a thread where 20 other people asked a similar question, it would promote searching the board and clean up the board. I have some suggested titles

What should I get tattooed ( people not sure about design, or people's first tattoo)

Who should tattoo me (thread people can ask advice about what tattooers are in their area)

This one should probably include links to the shops page on this site and the endless days blog about tattooers and the forbes tattoo list.

What is wrong with my tattoo( People freaking out about the healing process)

That would be 95% of threads right there.

Sounds good to me...only problem I can see with it is that depending on the software, it can be difficult or impossible to move individual posts. You can move a thread around with no trouble, so if you made those titles their own boards, then it could be done. Turning the post, or a new thread into a post and sticking it into another thread, well, that's a different story.

Sounds good to me...only problem I can see with it is that depending on the software, it can be difficult or impossible to move individual posts. You can move a thread around with no trouble, so if you made those titles their own boards, then it could be done. Turning the post, or a new thread into a post and sticking it into another thread, well, that's a different story.

Dont have a lot of experience with forum software, but I think merging new redundant threads, would clean up things a lot and these are the things that clog up the forum. Moving posts would be nice, but probably not neccesary. I also know there is only so much time in the day. I guess the only other thing I could think of, is once again increasing post counts before posting threads but not sure if that works

Dont have a lot of experience with forum software, but I think merging new redundant threads, would clean up things a lot and these are the things that clog up the forum. Moving posts would be nice, but probably not neccesary. I also know there is only so much time in the day. I guess the only other thing I could think of, is once again increasing post counts before posting threads but not sure if that works

Well, I've run a couple different forums that both used vbulletin-type software, so that's my only frame of reference. Using Jelsoft, I believe you can merge threads, but with the Vbulletin, you couldn't merge threads per se, but would have to cut-n-paste original posts, and they wouldn't show up as being posted by the actual writers.

Again, you could have a board, or section, titled "Whi Should Tattoo Me", or whatever, and dump all threads started about that into it. Piece o cake.

As far as increaasing the post count, you can create User Groups, say, "Trusted Poster", and "Trusted Poser", each with it's own distint post count requirement. So if you had a requirement for a "Trusted Poster" of 1,000,000 posts, then a mod would have to manually punch that into the poster's profile. Doing that, you could create boards that are accessible only to certain people. Just a thought.

Well, I've run a couple different forums that both used vbulletin-type software, so that's my only frame of reference. Using Jelsoft, I believe you can merge threads, but with the Vbulletin, you couldn't merge threads per se, but would have to cut-n-paste original posts, and they wouldn't show up as being posted by the actual writers.

Again, you could have a board, or section, titled "Whi Should Tattoo Me", or whatever, and dump all threads started about that into it. Piece o cake.

As far as increaasing the post count, you can create User Groups, say, "Trusted Poster", and "Trusted Poser", each with it's own distint post count requirement. So if you had a requirement for a "Trusted Poster" of 1,000,000 posts, then a mod would have to manually punch that into the poster's profile. Doing that, you could create boards that are accessible only to certain people. Just a thought.

I wouldn't want to restrict people from viewing parts of the board, but I think we could benefit from more uninterrupted advice and perspective from qualified people, but really blogs could fill that niche.

I wouldn't want to restrict people from viewing parts of the board, but I think we could benefit from more uninterrupted advice and perspective from qualified people, but really blogs could fill that niche.

Blogs would work, but you really have to look for them. Don't know how many people do.

You could always set a certain board, say the "Professonal Tattoers Advice to the Tattoo-Lorn", as a read-only board for all but members of a certain group, like "Professional Tattooer". Not a problem at all. Then anyone could read the board, submit questions via PM, and it wouldn't get clogged with all kinds of "what type of lotion should I use for my zit-on-a-stick?".

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions here guys - Team LST is having a pow wow about this and we will do our best to implement what you're suggesting. We can merge threads, but the posts tend to intermingle based on their timestamp, so moving them is typically a safer bet. Stay tuned while we pontificate upon your suggestions..

I have been on forums that have had great success making certain parts of the forum open to only people with a certain post count...

At least on some forums it can also be done by date of joining. On a forum I used to be a regular contributor to, there is both an "Alpha" group for those who've been around for a very long time and a "Beta" group for members with a high level of dedication shown by post count.

From the sticky on each groups page: "The criteria for gaining access are not to be talked out. Mods should not tell anyone, but if you already know, just don't go make a big deal about. it. It'll just hurt feelings of those that haven't reached the thresholds.

What's talked about in this forum and in any threads within it should be considered confidential unless specifically said otherwise."

Last Sparrow Fight Club, oh shit I talked about it.

I just wonder what we have to talk about that would be so secret. I Also, does it become a popularity contest to gain access, like if Rubendall and Grime (just examples) joined the forum, would we make them rack up some posts before allowing them access to good stuff.

But I am really up for giving anything a try.

@JAllen, I'm on here a lot less too, due to my work and remodeling the house and general life business, too. I used to read every single word ever put up on this forum, but it was much smaller then. Now I might not get around to reading something until a month or so after it's posted, but I try to get there eventually. I don't think I was on much or at all during the incidents you mention. Our internet was even off for 10 days at one point last summer, it's ridiculous how far behind one can fall from something like that. I don't mean on just the forum, I mean with life's daily business and correspondence. I know it's no giant secret that the whole "instant access" has it's trappings, but it was more debilitating than I'd like. I've always enjoyed your contributions, and I remember you were trying to sell your house and move to Atlanta, right?

Obviously, I'm not a tattooer. But my husband is one of the founders of this site, and his intention was never to be on the forum everyday answering questions about bubbling and bleeding outlines and whatnot. It's not that he's not interested or entertained here, he's just busy. Since we've been remodeling our house, his time online has been generally spent researching building radiant heating systems and studying siding installation instructions, or just checking the local lumberyard hours. I also see him on craigslist looking at fishing boats, small ones that won't provide shade for easily sunburned women or hold a lot of noisy children. Every minute of his non-tattooing/drawing or family time has been spent either working on the house if the sun is up, or building machines when it's down. He also made a roses line drawing book, I think the e-book version of it will be on LST any minute now. But he is at the Reno convention right now, and if there's someone he thinks need to be interviewed for LST, he'll bring it back for us. Or maybe he'll just bring back a ton of stuff from Cabella's.

So I can answer the question "where did the tattooers go?" for one tattooer only, I'm pretty sure he went to work and will be back soon. Either that, or he's gone fishing.

Hey,I wanna go fishing......

I am knee deep in working full time during the day and apprenticing to tattoo pretty much full time nights and weekends so I really have been pretty slammed with things to do....BUT.....much like has been said....i only post when I feel there is something that needs to be said or my post contributes in some way here! :)

My post count will most likely remain low....but i am usually around!