Etiquette for multiple concurrent tattoos

slayer9019

I can't recall this coming up before here on LST and I know it might not effect many people but I thought I had to ask. Is it weird to get tattooed by multiple artists (same shop or not) while getting other tattoos by other artists? I'm not too sure but I'd be interested to hear from others on this topic.

Basically you want to get something from another tattooer while your RG piece is still in progress?

I see no problem with this, as long as it doesn't affect what RG is doing...

Yea that leg is already spoken for, but I'm sure this will come up in the future as well. My pattern seems to be have one big tattoo and maybe a little guy here and there.

I think the only etiquette is don't start cancelling appointments for the bigger piece because you spent all your money getting smaller pieces.

Haven't cancelled an appointment yet. Plus my approach is to have the money for whatever I want before I commit. (Or at least 5 sessions worth for much bigger commitments).

I don't know maybe its just me being weird but it feels kinda weird to go to the same shop and get tattooed by someone else. Maybe that's just because I pretty much go to the same artist week after week.

Often I end up spending more time dealing with customers than the person tattooing them up until the day of their appoinment, one time I wasn't there the day someone was getting tattooed and they asked where i was. My boss told him I was getting tattooed across town. He responded by asking him why I didn't want him to tattoo me and wondered if my boss was cool with that he said, I already tattooed him this week and like 50 other times. He told me as long as I don't get tattooed by hacks he doesnt mind.

I can relate to feeling weird, there is one shop that one guy always bugs me about getting more tattoos from him, but I really want to get tattooed by the other guys he works with and don't have that much space, so to avoid that scenario I don't get tattooed there, or i guess I have to wait till he is guest spotting somewhere. Most tattooers aren't like that though.

I can assure you that if my wedding wasn't coming up, I would be getting something from Robert Ryan between sessions with Scott. I think a tattooer doing a large, multi-session tattoo is going to understand, especially in guest spot situations.

stemming from recent posts like this, i think some of us may be considering the tattoo artists feelings a little bit too much. i dont think any artists is like, "trying to own your body" with their work. and if they are, theyre douchebags.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know maybe its just me being weird but it feels kinda weird to go to the same shop and get tattooed by someone else. Maybe that's just because I pretty much go to the same artist week after week.

i did that, big time only because i was looking for specific shit, and it was a little weird, but i think only i felt that way.

I was thinking about it more from how my business works. It is can be considered bad form to use a "competitor" while currently engaged with someone else.

stemming from recent posts like this, i think some of us may be considering the tattoo artists feelings a little bit too much. i dont think any artists is like, "trying to own your body" with their work. and if they are, theyre douchebags.

- - - Updated - - -

i did that, big time only because i was looking for specific shit, and it was a little weird, but i think only i felt that way.

It's your money and your body. Do whatever you want. I've done this a time or two and the artists involved didn't really seem to mind as long as another artist wasnt working in his real estate.

One time, I had one artist call the other and say -- "hey, I am about to do such and such, do you mind?" It was more out of courtesy and respect than outright asking for permission.