Month out from next Tattoo & One Concern

YawkeyWay

I'm a month out from my next Tattoo and I have been preliminarily working with a local custom artist who has been tattooing for 17 years and gotten good reviews from locals. Her work tends to sway from tribal to heavily colored fill in every space type work which isn't my taste. My feeling is this is what her folks are requesting. She has though delivered some old school traditional which was good. Up to this point is has been more of ideas passed with an appointment being made way out.

Issue I'm having is I've been recently inked by an artist whose portfolio is more my taste and whose recommendations in Virginia offered the same old school traditional I'm looking for( I found this artist thanks to this forum and got inked between the time of setting up my upcoming appointment with the local artist back in January). I've also come to be amazed at some of the artists in Virginia who specialize in tradition American and Japanese tattoos.

The upcoming piece is something old school representing my daughters with their names. My concern is the example presented by the current artist is too feminine. I want it to have some teeth, like the sparrow of this forum with my daughter's names.

I don't want to be disrespectful of someone's work and give everyone their fair chance. I'm questioning if it would be better to cut my loses and go to a shop that specializes in/likes to do what I'm looking for (now that I've found them), or provide the feedback to the local artist and see what they come up with at the appointment and make the decision in person. Thoughts? Thank you in advance!

What is there to think about? Cancel your appointment with her, forfeit the deposit if needed, then get tattooed by someone you're confident will to do a good job.

- - - Updated - - -

What is there to think about? Cancel your appointment with her, forfeit the deposit if needed, then get tattooed by someone you're confident will to do a good job.

I'm with Iwar here. It's not like you would be canceling at the last minute.In the future it would be best if you are 100% committed to the tattooers style before you approach them to get a tattoo.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm with Iwar here. It's not like you would be canceling at the last minute.In the future it would be best if you are 100% committed to the tattooers style before you approach them to get a tattoo.

A tattoo is forever and you have every right to want to get exactly what you want. I agree that you should voice your opinion and show examples of the style you are looking for, and if you aren't happy or confident, give the artist a heads up as soon as you can and cancel. Now that you have more ideas of who works in the style you like, it would make sense to pursue those artists.

And no, I have not seen the first drawing only been sent a piece of flash as a rough idea.

It's a piece of flash shown as an example. A starting point for the conversation. Tell the artist what you'd like to see different and let them do their thing. No need to walk from your deposit just yet.