Travel: Austin, Texas

tatB

• 11 months later...

Planning another trip to Austin this spring (April or May) to visit family. I'm bored at work today so I thought I'd think think out loud and ask for help in planning the tattoo portion of the trip. I want to get a palm/hand sized tattoo on my leg and I having trouble deciding who to book in with and what to get.

Potential Image Ideas:

wolf head

gorilla head

dragon (traditional ''coleman style")

dagger

cowgirl head

Potential Artists Include:

Tony Hundahl

Jason Brooks

Ben Seibert

I guess I don't really need advice since I could randomly pick one of those images and one of those artists and be very happy with the tattoo but just wanted to invite you all to day dream about my next tattoo with me. I'm also considering not making an appointment and rolling the dice to experience the thrill of getting a walk-in piece.

I think the only advice I have would to stray from a dragon or cowgirl head if you're getting a palm/hand-sized tattoo.

I have a Todd Noble native american girl head that is a little smaller than my hand and looks good that size. Maybe your "hand sized" is smaller than mine. There needs to be an international standard for the terms hand sized and palm sized. My hand is roughly 4" x 8" and my palm is 3.5" x 4.5".

Anyway I am currently leaning towards a wolf or gorilla head from Tony Hundahl because I want to check out their recently expanded shop and show Steve Byrne the year old tattoo he did on my last spring.

I have a Todd Noble native american girl head that is a little smaller than my hand and looks good that size. Maybe your "hand sized" is smaller than mine. There needs to be an international standard for the terms hand sized and palm sized. My hand is roughly 4" x 8" and my palm is 3.5" x 4.5".

Anyway I am currently leaning towards a wolf or gorilla head from Tony Hundahl because I want to check out their recently expanded shop and show Steve Byrne the year old tattoo he did on my last spring.

Haha that's very true. I hadn't considered varying palm/hand sizes. Regardless, my point being those designs lend better to larger more complex pieces, so that could narrow down the best choice.

I would suggest the walk-in. I enjoyed my experience at Smith Street, choosing a design on the spot. It actually led to a funny story. Bert asked me if I wanted to have it say LIBERTY or NYC in the banner, and I said NYC. The design is a Jonesy Lady Liberty. Anyway, I decided on it saying NYC, since I was on vacation and wanted a memorial. The next day, I got to Bailey's studio, and was showing him the tattoo, and he says, "That's a really cool tattoo; funny though, says NYC on a statue that is owned by New Jersey." I just laughed it off awkwardly, but I like thinking about the story now.