Another victim from New Jersey

ManSkirtBrew

Greetings, all. Been a browser here for a while. I finally got my first tattoo (age 37) a few days ago, so I thought I'd introduce myself and share some pictures (I'm guessing the Latest Lowdown thread is the place to do it).

A little more about me? Sure. I grew up in NYC (Staten Island, to be precise) and now I live out in the woods here in Long Valley, NJ. I'm a computer programmer by trade, beer brewer by passion. I'm hoping this year to make that passion a job, which was one reason I finally got the tattoo I've always wanted.

Cheers!

-Joe

All right, let me try to get the pictures right in here then.

The work was done by Dutch Cooke, over at Immortal Ink in Clinton, NJ.

As I said, I've always wanted tattoos, but could never decide on what I wanted. Getting the brewery started, along with a shift in the way I look at tattoos, finally got me decided on hop vines.

These pictures are about 4 hours after the work was completed. I spent 2 1/2 hours in the chair to get this far, and have another session in a few weeks for color and shading.

I'm really pleased with how it came out, and how he made my vision fit my body. I can't wait to see it done, but I'm really, really not looking forward to shading that collarbone! Freakin' ouch. It's still a little bruised up. But it seems to be healing well--no blood, and very little ink loss on the inside of my clothes.

post-4987-146168846856_thumb.jpg

post-4987-146168846862_thumb.jpg

post-4987-146168846867_thumb.jpg

Comments are welcome. As it's my first, I'm still learning what to expect.

-Joe

Thanks everyone. I'm really happy with it. 2 weeks to color, can't wait!

Nice looking tattoo and welcome. You're starting up a brewery? Good luck, it's a tough business. Been a pro brewer for around five years myself.

Yep, I'm trying to go pro with my Man Skirt Brewing Co. here in NJ. I've been working my way up to 20 gallon AG batches over the years, so I've got the process down. Now I'm trying to learn the business end of things. I'm planning to do a 3bbl nano and make my wife support us with her job :)

-Joe

Thanks! I did a ton of asking around, internet searching, and portfolio-browsing before deciding on Immortal. I'm really glad I did. I'm already thinking about my next tattoo, even as this one is just reaching the OH MY GOD IT ITCHES SO MUCH stage.

Where in NJ are you guys from?

Color and shading last night! Another 3 hours, but I think it was totally worth it. A little more orangey than I was expecting, but I'm guessing that will calm down a little as it heals. Either way, I love it. The shading really gave the image depth and made those leaves and cones pop off my skin.

The second pic is the day after (this morning) right after washing and Aquaphor.

post-4987-146168847495_thumb.jpg

post-4987-146168847502_thumb.jpg

-Joe

@ManSkirtBrew looks like it is healing beautifully. have any plans for the next tattoo yet?

Of course :) I'm considering two directions, both more traditional style. I love straight razors, pin-ups, and WWII nose art. I'm trying to come up with a concept, but may just tell my artist that and let him go nuts.

The other possibility is an Alice in Wonderland piece. Something really dark, like the original. Not the happy, dopey Alice from Disney.

I love the over-the-shoulder placement, so I'll probably do the other side.

• 3 weeks later...