Art Tattoo Montreal 2013

A few months ago I was planning on going but then I made appointments to start my backpiece in 2015 so the smart thing to do would be stay home and save my money for that huge project. But Montreal is only a 5 hour drive away....

Few places are nicer than Montreal in September...just sayin'

Looks like my girlfriend and I are spending that Friday and Saturday exploring Montreal then going to the convention on Sunday. Not making any appointments but I have a short list of artists I might try to get a walk-up piece from.

Brilliant! Should be a great weekend.

Yesssssssss we are really looking forward to it! @BrianH it just so happens the b&b I suggested to you guys is like, two blocks from the bar that @Graeme suggested for a meetup. We are both getting tattooed on Friday evening so we're definitely down for a Saturday evening meetup if that works with your tattoo schedules!

Also let us know if you need suggestions for any food/stuff to see. There is a lot of cool stuff happening in the city right now!

Yesssssssss we are really looking forward to it! @BrianH it just so happens the b&b I suggested to you guys is like, two blocks from the bar that @Graeme suggested for a meetup. We are both getting tattooed on Friday evening so we're definitely down for a Saturday evening meetup if that works with your tattoo schedules!

Also let us know if you need suggestions for any food/stuff to see. There is a lot of cool stuff happening in the city right now!

We would love some suggestions on food (especially poutine) and sights to see! And we plan on being at the bar on Saturday night!

Ok, re: poutine - the most famous poutine place in the city is La Banquise, which is an easy walk from where you're staying (maybe 20 min?). The poutine is ok, not amazing, but it is open 24 hours.

We think our favourite poutine is at a diner we only recently discovered in our neighbourhood, also a quick walk for you guys (and also 24 hours!) called the Resto du Village. It's an otherwise unremarkable little diner, but their poutine is pretty good. Also a short walk from you guys is Poutineville, a newish local chain that allows you to customize and make crazy poutines, and while it's a bit sacrilegious to mess with the classic poutine formula, theirs is actually really good!

Re: sights, the two really cool things around right now are: 1) the mosaiculstures at the botanical gardens. It's an international topiary competition, which I know sounds stupid, but I've been twice now and it's genuinely amazing. Plus it's a beautiful place to walk around. The entrance fee is kind of obnoxiously pricey though. 2) We are actually headed this afternoon to check out the Chihuly exhibit at the Museum of Fine Arts. It is supposed to be really amazing: Chihuly : Utterly Breathtaking | Montreal Museum of Fine Arts

Otherwise, it is always wonderful to walk up the mountain (it takes maybe an hour to walk up there from the bottom, and it gives you a lovely view), have smoked meat at Schwartz's (expect a long line-up but it moves quickly), get St-Viateur bagels (best bagels in the world, and open 24 hours), and wander around eating pastries and coffee, etc.

If you want to do a splurge meal, Au Pied de Cochon is probably the city's most famous restaurant - it is Quebecois food reinvented and stuffed full of fois gras. Huge portions and insanely rich but delicious! You'd want to reserve for that like, right now though, as it really books up.