Hello From Vancouver BC

vPooch

Hello I would just like to introduce myself I live in the lower mainland I am 16 (17 in 2 months) and have booked my first tattoo (With both of my parents signing the consent form). The artist is in the process of making the design I showed him his own which he said would take around 2 weeks then almost anytime after that I can go in. I am getting a Japanese koi with a dragon head on my forearm in black and grey. I am going to eventually build off of that and turn it into a sleeve. I have attached a picture of what the artist is changing into his own. He quoted 4 to 4 and a half hours at 125$ an hour. I was wondering what you guys think? Thanks!

A nice design - so hopefully the artist is up to it.

Honestly - myself, I wouldn't recommend anyone start with their 1st tattoo on their forearm - especially where the person in question is so far from knowing what kind of profession you're going to be in 17 years (a lifetime) from now.

The reason I chose the forearm because i was thinking that would be the best place to start for a sleeve. I realize it isn't necessarily the smartest choice given my age but I do have a strong idea of what I'm going to be doing as a profession (oil rigs of Alberta heavy equipment operator) but thank you for the input! And the artist was stoked when i showed him the picture :D

I think a place that is charging you a good bit below the going rate for good tattoos in Vancouver, that tells you that you can go in "almost anytime" instead of setting an appointment, and is going to tattoo a 16 year old is probably not going to give you a great tattoo.

100% agree

Hello I would just like to introduce myself I live in the lower mainland I am 16 (17 in 2 months) and have booked my first tattoo (With both of my parents signing the consent form). The artist is in the process of making the design I showed him his own which he said would take around 2 weeks then almost anytime after that I can go in. I am getting a Japanese koi with a dragon head on my forearm in black and grey. I am going to eventually build off of that and turn it into a sleeve. I have attached a picture of what the artist is changing into his own. He quoted 4 to 4 and a half hours at 125$ an hour. I was wondering what you guys think? Thanks!

That isn't the final rendering is it?

Also @Graeme said it best. The fact that they can "get you in anytime" and their hourly rate, could suggest you may not end up with the quality of tattoo you want.

That isn't the final rendering is it?

Also @Graeme said it best. The fact that they can "get you in anytime" and their hourly rate, could suggest you may not end up with the quality of tattoo you want.

No that is not the final rendering and he is booked for the two weeks that he will be changing the picture. How much would a really good artists hourly rate be because I went to a couple shops and the prices were anywhere between 60 to 200$ an hour and the guy that is doing mine in my opinion had a really good portfolio.

The reason I chose the forearm because i was thinking that would be the best place to start for a sleeve. I realize it isn't necessarily the smartest choice given my age but I do have a strong idea of what I'm going to be doing as a profession (oil rigs of Alberta heavy equipment operator) but thank you for the input! And the artist was stoked when i showed him the picture :D

If you're going to work on oil rigs, you could make a nice chunk of change. I know you don't want to hear this, but you should wait to get tattooed. Look around this site and see what's possible. Work on the rigs for a while, make some money, and pay for something you'll be stoked on for life.

As for first tattoos on the forearm, here's more advice you don't wanna hear: that's terrible place to start a Japanese sleeve. ALL Japanese sleeves start at the top of the arm, not the other way around.

Had to go back and read your intro...

SIXTEEN?!?!?!?!?

Dude. Forget the tattoo, work on your designs for AT LEAST two more years. Bare minimum. You want to work on sleeving yourself, then you need to do your homework and get your design squared-away. What can I say, all my kids have got tattoos, but all of them waited till they were eighteen to start...can't even begin to imagine what they would have gotten at sixteen, but I do know they changed radically in the two years betwixt then and turning eighteen. You will too.

Anyhow.

If you look at his work, and you think it's good, that's what it's all about. I don't think a yard-n-a-half is radical cheap, even for the big city. You don't need to pay four-hundred an hour to get good work. As far as appointment times, if he means he can fit you in somewhere, well that isn't a warning signal to me. If he flat-out doesn't have any appointments, well that might be!

Hate to beat a dead horse, but I usually call Nick Colella like a week before I want to get tattooed, tops. Have gotten a lot of work at CTC just walking though the door. SOme street shops pride themselves on taking care of walk-ins and last-minute customers, and you may have found one of them.

Anyhow, look through his portfolio, look at any of his work you can find to look at in-person, people that work with him, his own ink, like that, and if you like it, and you are happy with his design, well, GO FOR IT!

If you want a Japanese sleeve, and you want to get it in Vancouver, then Chad Woodley is who you should go to. I am not sure if he would tattoo someone your age even with your parents consent, but if you are absolutely going to do it then you should go to him.

If you look at his work, and you think it's good, that's what it's all about. I don't think a yard-n-a-half is radical cheap, even for the big city. You don't need to pay four-hundred an hour to get good work. As far as appointment times, if he means he can fit you in somewhere, well that isn't a warning signal to me. If he flat-out doesn't have any appointments, well that might be!

Hate to beat a dead horse, but I usually call Nick Colella like a week before I want to get tattooed, tops. Have gotten a lot of work at CTC just walking though the door. SOme street shops pride themselves on taking care of walk-ins and last-minute customers, and you may have found one of them.

Anyhow, look through his portfolio, look at any of his work you can find to look at in-person, people that work with him, his own ink, like that, and if you like it, and you are happy with his design, well, GO FOR IT!

Yeah for me i thought that it was expensive but I am new to tattoos so i didnt know forsure and yeah he has appointments I'm not to worried about that and the comment about it not being good cause hes tattooing a 16 year old im not sure if you know but its legal to tattoo at 16 in canada with parental consent

If you want a Japanese sleeve, and you want to get it in Vancouver, then Chad Woodley is who you should go to. I am not sure if he would tattoo someone your age even with your parents consent, but if you are absolutely going to do it then you should go to him.

Ill second this.

Ive made three trips to Sanitary Electric since last September and have been beyond happy with all of my tattoos. Mind you I was going more traditional and only got work from Dax, but Ive hung out there multiple times outside tattoo time (to pop by, show the healed product, shoot the shit, etc) and seen Chad do many Japanese pieces and they were all amazing. I highly recommend paying the extra to get it from Chad. Seriously.

Not that you have to answer this, but may I ask who/or where your looking to get yours done? My first tattoo was a Japanese piece on my rib cage a while back. Not traditional Japanese, but heavily Ukiyo-e inspired. I got it at another shop in Van. To say the least, Im looking into having it faded/removed by laser and one day covered by a piece from Chad.

Also, I cant say enough about waiting like others have already. Especially at your age.

Yeah for me i thought that it was expensive but I am new to tattoos so i didnt know forsure and yeah he has appointments I'm not to worried about that and the comment about it not being good cause hes tattooing a 16 year old im not sure if you know but its legal to tattoo at 16 in canada with parental consent

A. I didn't make any comment about measuring his skill level by the age of his customers.

B. It's legal to marry your first-cousin in Illinois...that doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do.

C. Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing.

Ill second this.

Ive made three trips to Sanitary Electric since last September and have been beyond happy with all of my tattoos. Mind you I was going more traditional and only got work from Dax, but Ive hung out there multiple times outside tattoo time (to pop by, show the healed product, shoot the shit, etc) and seen Chad do many Japanese pieces and they were all amazing. I highly recommend paying the extra to get it from Chad. Seriously.

Not that you have to answer this, but may I ask who/or where your looking to get yours done? My first tattoo was a Japanese piece on my rib cage a while back. Not traditional Japanese, but heavily Ukiyo-e inspired. I got it at another shop in Van. To say the least, Im looking into having it faded/removed by laser and one day covered by a piece from Chad.

Also, I cant say enough about waiting like others have already. Especially at your age.

Thank you that is something i may have considered earlier but I already paid the 100$ no refund deposit/sitting fee last week. I am getting it done in abbotsford about an hour drive from Vancouver I looked at both of their work and they do an amazing job I am happy with the image and placement and the artists portfolio I know waiting would make sense but I have been interested and looking at tattoos and mainly Japanese designs and just talked about it with my parents and after awhile convinced them to sign for it. I know I wont regret it and I trust the artist to do a good job. Thank you all for your input I will post pictures when it is complete.

- - - Updated - - -

@Rilla What were your experiences with your first tattoo? What age? if you don't mind me asking :)

Edited by vPooch
forgot something

Ill second this.

Dax is a great guy. I used to go up there and hang out on a regular basis, but I haven't had the time lately. Good shop and good tattooers.

- - - Updated - - -

@Rilla What were your experiences with your first tattoo? What age? if you don't mind me asking :)

Not at all, grew up in Red Deer, was your age, but it was 1997 and as a rule shops are a little friendlier now than they were even 15 years ago (can't imagine 30). I was a skinny, scared shitless teenager so they figured it was a good time for an "artist" to do their first tattoo. Luckily it's on my shoulder blade and doesn't get seen too often.

The patch can be a great place to work and make money, but it's not always for everybody, I've seen a lot of peoples plans change between 17-20. My 2 cents, I wouldn't recommend a first tattoo on a forearm. Take some time on this site, read as many of the threads as you can handle and make a decision from there. I'm 32 and this site has helped me reign some things in and go in more sensible directions, so it can probably keep helping you too. Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Not at all, grew up in Red Deer, was your age, but it was 1997 and as a rule shops are a little friendlier now than they were even 15 years ago (can't imagine 30). I was a skinny, scared shitless teenager so they figured it was a good time for an "artist" to do their first tattoo. Luckily it's on my shoulder blade and doesn't get seen too often.

The patch can be a great place to work and make money, but it's not always for everybody, I've seen a lot of peoples plans change between 17-20. My 2 cents, I wouldn't recommend a first tattoo on a forearm. Take some time on this site, read as many of the threads as you can handle and make a decision from there. I'm 32 and this site has helped me reign some things in and go in more sensible directions, so it can probably keep helping you too. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it I'm going to start reading some threads and I've been watching a lot of miami ink and la ink maybe I will stick with the same design but put it on my chest or side just in case. Thanks!

i can understand that but i personally think it's too much drama in those shows, but if you like, then fine! but if you wanna see good artwork...just check the instagram stream thing whatever right here ----->

i get stuck sometimes just sitting and watching the pics go by...

Yeah I looked at some of those I really enjoyed some of them and I watched an interview it was really good! Thanks for the recommendation!