Norovirus / Winter Vomiting Virus :(

beez

Soo as some of you may have seen from an earlier post, I just made a quick trip to Paris. I came home with a new tattoo from Fred at Tribal Act Tattoo (solid guy! thumbs up for the work, bedside manner et al!) and also a nasty case of norovirus that I picked up somewhere between duty free in gay Paree and my apartment on the last leg of my trip. For those unfamiliar with this lovely little bug it includes simultaneous explosions from both ends, violent chills, and horribly achey joints and muscles (the chills and aches hit me quite hard, anyway) from the very surprising moment it starts to the blessed moment that it ends.

It's been a helluva a few days, I can say that, and I'm just now peeking my head over on the other side of it. By 'peeking' I mean desperately clawing my way up a smooth and slippery surface that does not want to give way. Yuck! I am for sure on the better end of it, though, no more pukey, just very weak and still quite unsettled.

I hear over in the UK and Europe it's called "winter vomiting virus" - anyone have any experience with this? Am I alone in my (surprisingly intense for such a short time period) suffering? It's literally like it went from 0-60 with no warning whatsover, leaving my weak and shattered (and apparently very melodramatic this morning) body to pick up the pieces. Oy!!

Anyway - if you haven't already heard of this, look out for it this winter! It is highly contagious and is apparently going around worldwide at the moment. I had not heard of this, nor was I aware of the outbreak, before it gifted me with its shining, glorious presence late Monday night.

I'll post pics of the new tattoo when I am strong enough to hold a camera up again. Ack.

I'm just now getting over something similiar, however i'm not from the UK, nor have I been recently. A few days ago I woke up covered in sweat and couldn't stop throwing up. Then 20 minutes later I would have the chills like crazy, even though i'm sweating profusely. The muscles in my legs were aching so bad I could barely stand at work so I had to take a bunch of pain reliever. I've had no energy for the past few days and I haven't eaten a solid meal since I started feeling like this.

Finally feeling a little better today (which is great because i'm getting tattooed at 6 today). Hopefully you start feeling better soon!

Not wrong, it's a tattoo forum after all! Thank you for your sympathy @gougetheeyes, it is much-appreciated.

I've actually been wondering myself how it has affected my tattoo.

In short: I think the bug has slowed down the healing a tiny bit, yes.

The longer conversation:

My last tattoos have been on my rear/side area and have healed extraordinarily well, so well that in a separate conversation I have wondered if it is because of my tattoo artist, the pre-tattoo skin prep I did, the general condition of my skin, or possibly the type of machine she was using. Those rather large tattoos healed without any itching, flaking or peeling - craziest (awesome) thing I ever saw. Well, to be fair there was very minimal flaking - small itty bitty tiny flakes that i barely noticed, just like having a little bit of dry skin.

This latest tattoo is on my left arm, right on and above the elbow and ditch - so an area that gets more exposure and movement than my rear/side (um I'm too sick for the jokes that belong in this parentheses right now, but I think I walked right into a few ;)). This tattoo has been super flaky and incredibly itchy. Big ol' flakes just hanging off my skin! I had been prepping the area for a few weeks, but the skin is decidedly less smooth and untouched than on my side, so...is it the initial condition of the skin, the gentle or heavy hand of the tattoo artist, the type of machine being used, or my health as a whole?

I think all of these things contribute to how a tattoo heals, but in this case I am not sure which part has contributed to what. My body was already a little tired and stressed from intercontinental travel, and the skin is different in this area than around my never-sees-the-sun behind, so...

I'm ready for the itchy/flaky stage to be over. I've been spoiled by how well the last tattoos healed!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just now getting over something similiar, however i'm not from the UK, nor have I been recently. A few days ago I woke up covered in sweat and couldn't stop throwing up. Then 20 minutes later I would have the chills like crazy, even though i'm sweating profusely. The muscles in my legs were aching so bad I could barely stand at work so I had to take a bunch of pain reliever. I've had no energy for the past few days and I haven't eaten a solid meal since I started feeling like this.

Finally feeling a little better today (which is great because i'm getting tattooed at 6 today). Hopefully you start feeling better soon!

Oh gosh, good luck to you @chrisnoluck! That sounds like exactly what I went through/am going through. There's a definite outbreak in the states right now, so likely what you had. I couldn't keep pain relievers (or water or anything) down for several days, but have just been able to start taking ibuprofen again, and it is a godsend.

I hope your body is up to being tattooed after all of this! I actually had a sick-dream where I was at my regular tattoo parlor and then walked out into the parlor shirtless (???) and they told me that I was obviously still sick and couldn't be tattooed, and I woke up very confused as to where I was and why I had no shirt on and did I miss a tattoo appointment? and then I puked. so. there was that.

My doc said to reintroduce food with the BRAT diet - Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast, so you may try those things to help fortify yourself for getting tattooed and healing in general! I eat a grain free diet normally, which is to say no rice or toast, and unfortunately I did not take that into account when I listened to my doc and it has caused a bit of tummy upset for me - not the same upset from a few days ago, but enough that it's keeping me wrapped up in a blanket and on my couch.

The only reason I am even on the comp right now is because i have a writing deadline! And I'm totally procrastinating by writing needlessly long posts and responses here...ughz.

Stopping now. Back to bike tire buying guide (gotta pay the bills you know).

Norovirus definitely tends to have a seasonal distribution, more common during the winter months when people spend more time in close quarters. Symptoms definitely tend to have a quick and dirty appearance (usually 24-48 hours after exposure), and usually go away within a few days. It is a huge pain in the rear to deal with in a hospital setting, I've seen whole wards shut down within only a day or two since the thing spreads like wildfire (in fact my internal medicine rotation just got switched to a different hospital because of an outbreak).

Unfortunately there really isn't much you can do for treatment aside from supportive care, lots of rest, plenty of fluids, and all that jazz. Once you are feeling better I would highly recommend giving everything a thorough cleaning (hot water for fabrics, bleach solution for solid surfaces) since the virus can persist.

Ugh. That sounds perfectly awful - I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Winter Vomiting Virus... sort of has a nice ring to it. Unimagineable especially if you have to travel with it... ask me sometime about being stuck on a flight from Charlotte to LI with a lady 2 rows up that crapped herself...

Rob

Winter Vomiting Virus... sort of has a nice ring to it. Unimagineable especially if you have to travel with it... ask me sometime about being stuck on a flight from Charlotte to LI with a lady 2 rows up that crapped herself...

Rob

Omg...do we really want to ask?!?!

- - - Updated - - -

@Mark Bee - thanks! recovery is happening, slowly but surely. few steps forward, couple of steps back, that sort of thing.

Norovirus definitely tends to have a seasonal distribution, more common during the winter months when people spend more time in close quarters. Symptoms definitely tend to have a quick and dirty appearance (usually 24-48 hours after exposure), and usually go away within a few days. It is a huge pain in the rear to deal with in a hospital setting, I've seen whole wards shut down within only a day or two since the thing spreads like wildfire (in fact my internal medicine rotation just got switched to a different hospital because of an outbreak).

Unfortunately there really isn't much you can do for treatment aside from supportive care, lots of rest, plenty of fluids, and all that jazz. Once you are feeling better I would highly recommend giving everything a thorough cleaning (hot water for fabrics, bleach solution for solid surfaces) since the virus can persist.

@VCarter do you have any suggestions for how I might disinfect my mattress? Early in the sickness the sheets came off and were thrown in the washer, and I have been too weak to put them back on the bed, strange as that might sound. So I've been passed out on the mattress with some fuzzy blankets or my couch with same fuzzy blankets. I can wash the sheets and blankets, of course, but how to tackle the mattress?

I thought I was feeling better earlier today, but it appears I tried too much too soon and I am most certainly back in the sick and it is, again, most unpleasant.

I just had a virus that sounds like your describing but, thankfully, lasted only about 24 hours. The downside was I was visiting family in Vermont, the plus side was it didn't hit until the night before I was planning on leaving, so I got to stay an extra day and have my mom take care of her adult daughter haha. Couldnt imagine having to heal and clean tattoos with that virus. Ick!

Hope your health and tattoos are doing better, Beez!!!

Omg...do we really want to ask?!?!

- - - Updated - - -

@Mark Bee - thanks! recovery is happening, slowly but surely. few steps forward, couple of steps back, that sort of thing.

I'm glad you feel better.. nothing like having deep meaningful conversations with Ralph O'Rourke...

The flight... it started out normal until we took off. All of a sudden, we knew that someone cut the cheese... it hung around and dissapated after a few minutes. Of course my wife 2 rows up was looking back giving me dirty looks... not me dear...

Then another one, much worse than the first. It seems that this lady in the 1st row had disqualified... badly. The flight attendants moved people back, best they could. We got off the plane and I could still smell it on me, got home and the same deal. All our clothes went into the wash, showers for all.

Rob