Question about appointment etiquette

Liesel

I have two sessions for my first BIG tattoo booked. My first appointment is this Sunday! However, I was just figuring out my finances and realized I can only afford five hours each session at this point.(I know it's late to just be figuring this out) I'm ok with breaking up the work as long as long as it takes to finish it, but I'm wondering if I should call the shop tomorrow to see how long I'm booked for Sunday. I hate for my artist to lose money if the whole day is blocked off for me. They have a list of people to call in case of no-shows, so they could probably fit somebody in if I was scheduled for most of the day. Or is it a bit late at this point since my appointment is Sunday? I'm just wondering what the artists that post here would prefer if they had a client in this situation?

I think you are definitely better off notifying them.

after all, you got nothing to really lose by doing so, only being nice and respectful to your artist, and give them the chance of booking someone after you if they wish to.

and by doing so early enough, you leave them enough time to do those last minute changes in their schedule and not have to lose money or be disappointed.

Pretty simple. Talk to your tattooer, ask them how long they figure each session to be, roughly, and about how much they figure on charging for it. TELL them what your budget per sitting is, and let them adjust accordingly.

No sense making it into a mystical transaction, and no reason why you and the tattooer shouldn't both be on the same page vis-a-vis the coinage.

• 2 weeks later...

Your best chances for a quick response is to call. I have clients that email, send facebook messages (to my personal FB, and the shop FB,) text me, ask their friends to ask me, hit me through twitter and other social media....it's a lot to deal with! I always appreciate a direct call to the shop (not my cell, I get those too!) It keeps it simple. Hope that helps! :)

• 3 weeks later...