Hi, I'm Chris. I just got my first tattoo and I am new here. Thanks for having me.

Chris3000

I just recently got a tattoo in honor of my grandfather. He was in the Navy and had brilliant Navy tattoos. Out of all of his tattoos I love his hinges the most and that's what a wanted but I'm a gal and I didn't want big metal plates in the ditch of my arm. So, I switched it up a bit and did an olive hinge with scroll work for the metal plates to keep it from being to masculine. I really look forward to hearing (reading) what you think, good, bad, or otherwise. chris_s_tatoo_2013_thumb.jpg

Chris

I just recently got a tattoo in honor of my grandfather. He was in the Navy and had brilliant Navy tattoos. Out of all of his tattoos I love his hinges the most and that's what a wanted but I'm a gal and I didn't want big metal plates in the ditch of my arm. So, I switched it up a bit and did an olive hinge with scroll work for the metal plates to keep it from being to masculine. I really look forward to hearing (reading) what you think, good, bad, or otherwise. chris_s_tatoo_2013_thumb.jpg

Chris

I gotta say, I have never heard of a plainskin getting their first tattoo in the ditch. Also, that seems like a pretty unique idea...I think you did well on your first one! Now...whats next? Full backpiece?

Funny that you asked about a back piece. I am seriously thinking about a dragon for my 3 boys. Nothing to big and mostly black scroll work for the dragon so that the tattoos have the same features, somewhat anyway.

Thanks for the kind words,

Chris

I gotta say, I have never heard of a plainskin getting their first tattoo in the ditch. Also, that seems like a pretty unique idea...I think you did well on your first one! Now...whats next? Full backpiece?

- - - Updated - - -

A dragon that looks something like this (see attachment) with a roman numeral three integrated somewhere. The placement will be in the middle of my back.

Funny that you asked about a back piece. I am seriously thinking about a dragon for my 3 boys. Nothing to big and mostly black scroll work for the dragon so that the tattoos have the same features, somewhat anyway.

Chris

- - - Updated - - -

A dragon that looks something like this (see attachment) with a roman numeral three integrated somewhere. The placement will be in the middle of my back.

To me a Japanese Dragon is one of the most beautiful tattoos out there. If you're going to do a dragon on your back, do a dragon on your back. Maybe some floral elements to represent the kids. The back is such a large piece of real estate, why not go for it.

Chris

- - - Updated - - -

Anytime someone tries to incorporate something that doesn't really belong, whether it be a name, number, or unrelated object you run the risk of compromising the overall look of the tattoo. I have seen many a good tattoo, ruined because customer became to fixated on one element of the tattoo, could step back and see how it impacted design. I am not saying that what you can't or shouldn't get what you want, just something to think about.

If it were me I would do a three headed dragon, if I needed three to be involved in the tattoo, or something along those lines.

Hi David,

Never thought about giving it three heads. That is a great idea. I hear what you are saying about compromising the look. For this exact reason I love my tattoo artist Sam because if you saw what I brought him, in regards to the hinge tattoo, compared to what he actually did you would see why I respect and value his opinion. The dragon is just a direction, a sounding board so to speak, and I know it will be different once my artist brings it to life. Again, thanks for the 3 headed idea, and your opinion, it means a lot.

Anytime someone tries to incorporate something that doesn't really belong, whether it be a name, number, or unrelated object you run the risk of compromising the overall look of the tattoo. I have seen many a good tattoo, ruined because customer became to fixated on one element of the tattoo, could step back and see how it impacted design. I am not saying that what you can't or shouldn't get what you want, just something to think about.

If it were me I would do a three headed dragon, if I needed three to be involved in the tattoo, or something along those lines.

- - - Updated - - -

Honeslty,

I would love to do a full chinese dragon, but, I'm not rich. Also, being in my forties and want to keep it simple so I don't feel like I'm trying to look like someone I'm not. I do respect your opinion and totally see where you are coming from. Because of what you said I am going to be thinking about it for awhile, thanks.

To me a Japanese Dragon is one of the most beautiful tattoos out there. If you're going to do a dragon on your back, do a dragon on your back. Maybe some floral elements to represent the kids. The back is such a large piece of real estate, why not go for it.

I looked up Sick of it All dragon, that is very cool and yes they are similar, I guess I do need some time to think about it. Thanks for your kind words.

Chris

That almost looks like a Sick Of It All dragon, which, as an old hardcore kid, I can appreciate. Welcome! Your first tattoo looks like a lot of fun!

Take some time and good luck!

Okay, I have been looking at other posts in regards to tattoos being good or bad. I think mine is good. The lines are straight and not wobbly and the scroll is filled in well. I love the olive hinge in the middle and I think it is shaded well. I'm sure some people would say "Well if you like it that's all that counts." That's great but I want to know from the people that know what they're are talking about is this a "well done" tattoo?

- - - Updated - - -

Another question, sorry, I get carried away but oh well. People keep mentioning the ditch and I don't get it. Can someone explain the facsination with the ditch? Is it because of the painful part? Don't get me wrong I love the comments, I just want to make sure I understand them.

welcome chris!

nice first tattoo! hope you'll enjoy LST and be sure to watch the interview vids and read old threads to get an idea whats up on this here forum!

- - - Updated - - -

ditch, hurts to get tattooed, heals a bit slow(for me atleast)since you cant really keep it still. i tried but to not bend my arm or anything...doesn't really work out that good it seems since i basically use my arms all the time!

Thanks everyone,

I didn't want to walk around thinking I had a good tattoo if I didn't. Don't get me wrong, I would still be proud but I would also understand the comments that people might make. I won't lie the ditch hurts, but not where you might think. The most painful part for me was the outside of the tattoo to the middle right and middle left, the inner ditch itself was not that bad. I think with all tattoos it's really worth it in the end. It's healing really well and has gone through it's ugly stages. I learned that the only thing temporary about a tattoo is the pain.

Thanks again,

Chris

I would love to do a full chinese dragon, but, I'm not rich. Also, being in my forties and want to keep it simple so I don't feel like I'm trying to look like someone I'm not. I do respect your opinion and totally see where you are coming from. Because of what you said I am going to be thinking about it for awhile, thanks.

I'm in my forties, too, and am finding my tattoos just keep getting bigger. I'm not rich either...but since sessions on a bigger piece are spaced out, I can save the money needed for the next one in between. Anyway, I like your attitude-- you are thinking it over and I'm sure whatever you get, you will like. Your first one looks nice. It's just the more you get, the more you may want to get. You never know...

Hi TrixieFaux,

It's good to know I am not the only middle aged gal here. I didn't think about the spacing out part and that makes more sense than doing it all at once with the big price that comes with it. The hinge tattoo was a one session two hour project and the money was given right up front. Thanks for giving me a better outlook on bigger tattoos and commenting on my post.

Thanks everyone,

I didn't want to walk around thinking I had a good tattoo if I didn't. Don't get me wrong, I would still be proud but I would also understand the comments that people might make. I won't lie the ditch hurts, but not where you might think. The most painful part for me was the outside of the tattoo to the middle right and middle left, the inner ditch itself was not that bad. I think with all tattoos it's really worth it in the end. It's healing really well and has gone through it's ugly stages. I learned that the only thing temporary about a tattoo is the pain.

Thanks again,

Chris

I can't say for sure I have one tattoo at the moment. It covers my left pec, over the clavicle shoulder on to my back and a 1/4 way down my upper arm. with the exception of the area around my nipple and the area very close to my arm pit it wasn't bad at all. From the opinions of the folks here who have far more experience than myself, and I respect immensely the ditch hurts. a lot. You kicked ass getting your first tattoo there, whether you realize it or not. When you get a tattoo some where else you will probably sleep through it. Major props, seriously.

Thanks Reverend1,

That means a lot. Honestly I would expect that anywhere in or around the armpit would hurt like a SOB. You might be a lot more tolerant regarding pain than you think. SO, don't avoid the ditch. My artist has a beautiful yellow dragon on his arm and it goes right through the ditch, it's amazing to look at. Just don't let the thought of pain stop you, I promise it's temporary.

Thanks Reverend1,

That means a lot. Honestly I would expect that anywhere in or around the armpit would hurt like a SOB. You might be a lot more tolerant regarding pain than you think. SO, don't avoid the ditch. My artist has a beautiful yellow dragon on his arm and it goes right through the ditch, it's amazing to look at. Just don't let the thought of pain stop you, I promise it's temporary.

Unfortunately, I can't have anything visible do to my job. I sell equipment to farmers and they tend to not be tattoo friendly. I go down in a few weeks to start the tiger on my other chest panel to match my dragon. Then we will start my back piece. Once I'm done with that, I will be don until attitudes change or I retire. It is kind of fun having large tattoos that people can't see, and wouldn't suspect from my outside appearance. It's like my own little secret.