Question about new tattoo and a nearby rash...

Chris3000

I have a new tattoo in the ditch of my right arm. About an inch away from my tattoo just below my elbow I have developed a rash. The only way I can think of to describe it is a small poison oak rash. I haven't been outdoors where I would get poison oak and my tattoo is almost a month old. Just wondering if this is common and hoping that it does not effect my tattoo.

Any advice would be great & thanks,

Chris

Do not get anything you are using to treat the rash on your healing tattoo. I have skin problems in and around the area I get tattooed almost ever time. There is a ton of trauma being done to the skin during a tattoo; even the best possible application can't stop that. Your skin reacts in several ways. For some people, nothing. Others may develope a "rash" around the area. Make sure you are not over moisturizing your tattoo and keep it clean. I am sure it will heal perfectly...however, if you are concerned enough to ask on here, you could also consult your tattooer. The person who tattooed you should ALWAYS be the first person you ask about any issue regarding your tattoo and healing. There is a whole lot of people who claim to know what they are talking about, your tattooer IS the expert for you.

Your tattoo is a month old? Do not listen to the interweb or other people, go for sure and see the person who did it. Probably no big deal but "just put some oitment on it" isn't always the best solution. If its something totally non-related to the tattoo..ie the tattoo is healed up it may be something else that tattoo aftercare isn't going to address properly.

Your tattoo is a month old? Do not listen to the interweb or other people, go for sure and see the person who did it. Probably no big deal but "just put some oitment on it" isn't always the best solution. If its something totally non-related to the tattoo..ie the tattoo is healed up it may be something else that tattoo aftercare isn't going to address properly.

I was addressing putting ointment on the rash not tattoo aftercare on it.... I use A&D for my tattoos and A&D can be used tattoos, rashes, and burns.

I was addressing putting ointment on the rash not tattoo aftercare on it.... I use A&D for my tattoos and A&D can be used tattoos, rashes, and burns.

Well don't take it personal, I just hear people giving that advice often. For a mild burn I'd probably use witch hazel or aloe. For some kind of allergic reaction/rash/poison ivy/etc I'd use some type of cortizone and or an antihistimine. But that's just me. If its just a rash it doesn't need some type of medicated stuff on it. Overuse of such things can potentially lead to their ineffectiveness.

Also, the main reason I didn't recommend any of that stuff as a solution is the fact that I don't know what she's actually got going on as far as the rash. No pics of it and troubleshooting things over the internet like that aren't always going to offer an exact remedy.

If its any consulation to the original poster, I DID get poison ivy in a tattoo that was still healing up and it turned out ok. So I wouldn't stess too much about that aspect of it.

So, I went to see my artist this morning. He said I had more of a reaction to the tape they used than I did to the tattoo, which totally makes sense because it's right where the tape was after my tattoo was done. He said not to worry and also mentioned to not address them at the same time and lotion them up seperately between washes just to be on the safe side

I appreciate you all for helping me.

• 2 weeks later...