Tattoo Nation documentary

Official Description: For years people saw tattoos as a sign of rebellion. A middle finger salute to the rest of the world. Outlaw bikers got tattoos. Sailors on leave in Singapore got tattoos. Lifers in the joint got tattoos. But now in the United States one out of every three adults under forty has a tattoo! So what happened? How did tattoo go from something…

Plot Outline: The true story of the revolutionary tattoo style of Black and Grey in LA.

Featuring: Jack Rudy, Freddy Negretr, Charlie Cartwright and more

http://tattoonation.com/

Anyone going to see this?

Screenings taking place next Thursday through Sunday it looks like. I have tickets for next Friday in Miami.

Will this be available to purchase?

My guess is it will be available pretty quickly after theater. i think they are only doing 150 theaters nation wide and two showings per theater. I am going with some local tattooer friends...gonna be a blast. About ime something "real" about tattooing hit a big mainstream audience like this.

My guess is it will be available pretty quickly after theater. i think they are only doing 150 theaters nation wide and two showings per theater. I am going with some local tattooer friends...gonna be a blast. About ime something "real" about tattooing hit a big mainstream audience like this.

Yeah I would go see this but I am in the UK and seems its not playing anywhere that I can find :(

Really? Have you checked out all the locations? It has to have a showing somewhere in NY. Hell, there is two showings in my 75,000 person city....

Checked this morning. Nowhere near NYC. But they're showing it in my hometown in Vermont. Weird. You would think NYC would be a prime location since it has such a rich history for tattooing and is a central city for the "tattoo nation" that exists today.

Checked this morning. Nowhere near NYC. But they're showing it in my hometown in Vermont. Weird. You would think NYC would be a prime location since it has such a rich history for tattooing and is a central city for the "tattoo nation" that exists today.

Thats what I was thinking.

Watched the preview but don't feel excited about it. Feels too polished... I like my tattoo movies to be filmed in warehouses with lots of background noise or in hotel rooms with slowly dying camera batteries.

The preview is a tiny part of it. I know for a fact that the producers and film crew sat down with all of the great B&G guys that I can think of and got interview stuff for the film... Kore Flatmo, Carlos Torres, Chuey, Carlos Rojas, Robert hernandez, Chente Rios, Tim Hendricks...etc. I personally talked to Kore about it and he hopes it will represent the community pretty well. I have also seen some tattooers posting on Instagram about how good it is...

- - - Updated - - -

yea, what's up with the no NY showings?

Maybe its aimed at markets that don't really get a ton of exposure to that west coast black and grey style...if so, maybe they didn't feel like it would be cost effective to have it show somewhere in the NY area? I would assume that this being something that is financed by a pretty small group of people that the cost of bringing it to different places is a big deal.

yea, what's up with the no NY showings?

Depends on who's distributing it and if they have any theaters in NY. I self-distributed a movie, which means that we worked directly with groups of theaters (Laemmle etc), individual producer's reps who had relationships with individual theaters, and companies like Truly Indie who have relationships with a larger groups of theaters (e.g. Landmark) and will place your movie in those theaters. So if there is no NY theater in that chain - or no desirable demographic in the NY area - then there will be no screening! The first weekend is the most important weekend as far as getting it into other theaters the week after...theater owners look to see what the box office looks like the first weekend (and week) to see if they are going to keep it in the theaters for another week, or possibly to expand the opening to theaters that were not included in the initial run.

It looks like they are being distributed digitally (which is awesome)...maybe none of their partner theaters in NY are set up for that? That could also be the case ;). Okay, my $.02 is now in. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oy, no Seattle screenings either!! Wonder what demographic testing they did for that release pattern? Does anyone know if they premiered at festivals before this? Also has an impact on the release. (I will now go look into this and see what I can find...)

Depends on who's distributing it and if they have any theaters in NY. I self-distributed a movie, which means that we worked directly with groups of theaters (Laemmle etc), individual producer's reps who had relationships with individual theaters, and companies like Truly Indie who have relationships with a larger groups of theaters (e.g. Landmark) and will place your movie in those theaters. So if there is no NY theater in that chain - or no desirable demographic in the NY area - then there will be no screening! The first weekend is the most important weekend as far as getting it into other theaters the week after...theater owners look to see what the box office looks like the first weekend (and week) to see if they are going to keep it in the theaters for another week, or possibly to expand the opening to theaters that were not included in the initial run.

It looks like they are being distributed digitally (which is awesome)...maybe none of their partner theaters in NY are set up for that? That could also be the case ;). Okay, my $.02 is now in. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oy, no Seattle screenings either!! Wonder what demographic testing they did for that release pattern? Does anyone know if they premiered at festivals before this? Also has an impact on the release. (I will now go look into this and see what I can find...)

It has been shown at the London & Milan convention for sure...a few other small places as well.

Saw it....enjoyed it. Wish they talked a little more about mike brown rather then a passing sentence but good stuff.

Yup. Saw it. It was about what I expected. Well done adn would like to see more of this type of thing. Its to bad I saw very few non-tattooers at the show where I live.

Oy, no Seattle screenings either!!

i wish i had seen this post sooner... there as a showing at pacific place last night.

Yup. Saw it. It was about what I expected. Well done adn would like to see more of this type of thing. Its to bad I saw very few non-tattooers at the show where I live.

i also thought it was really well done. not only did they go over a lot of the history of black and gray tattooing, but they conveyed a lot of emotion that goes along with this style. it was also pretty cool to see all that amazing work that big and close up! there were a few pieces that got a bunch of oohs and ahhs from the audience and from the reaction to all of Ed Hardy's pieces, i could tell there were at least a few folks in the theater that were non-tattooers or even non-collectors... i loved the feeling of having a lot of folks getting knowledge dropped on 'em.

i wish i had seen this post sooner... there as a showing at pacific place last night.

I saw that it was showing at Pacific Place just yesterday morning, but wasn't able to get it together to attend the screening! Pleased to hear that it is well received! I love well made movies!