Contact Dermatitis

ironchef

I had one little bump pop on my arm yesterday, by the orange of my tattoo. Got in hot water and pop the fucker. Put some alcohol and called it a day. I hope that's the end of it.

Threads like this one.... Make me fucking nervous for every little bump that comes up on/near my tattoo... lol

As has been pointed out many times before, it's pretty weird to inject pigment into a layer of your skin. I have some year-old blue that's just finally started to settle down. I accept that cranky skin is a risk you take and most of it probably isn't worth exercising your imagination over.

I put some Preparation H with witch hazel on my distressing bumps and they've already calmed down, so there you go. Still keeping an eye on them.

• 3 weeks later...
If I can piggyback on this thread, I currently have a few itchy bumps under one of my tattoos - consulting with the artist isn't possible because of distance/nothing's visible in pictures. It's probably just irritation but I'm concerned enough to want to check with a doctor. But it seems like dermatologists can be hit-and-miss when it comes to their knowledge of tattoos and how to treat them when there's a concern (for example, prescribing antibiotics for tattoos that are scabbed and angry-looking but not infected). I'm wondering if anyone has tips or stories about advocating for yourself/communicating across what might be a cultural divide - or finding a tattoo-friendly dermatologist.

I was just wondering how the bumps are faring, have you had any improvement?

Ive been following the thread for a while now. I have gotten Contact dermatitis monthly over the last 8years on my scalp from hair dye. It sucks, and tends to be very severe for the first 4 weeks. When it calms again, I apply another coat to thoses damn grays.

I know it can take MONTHS to completely heal and benedhryl (if you can take it) is your best bet. I hope everyone is healing well.

***warning, gross***

Best I could tell it was a damaged hair follicle. Not an ingrown hair, but like the whole follicle/sweat gland had said "fuck you, I quit." I was able to tweeze it out (highly scientific) and it seems to have healed up fine with no damage to the tattoo. Everything seems to heal differently and there's a new surprise every other tattoo.

Hair dye is scary. http://www.dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/paraphenylenediamine-allergy.html

***warning, gross***

Best I could tell it was a damaged hair follicle. Not an ingrown hair, but like the whole follicle/sweat gland had said "fuck you, I quit." I was able to tweeze it out (highly scientific) and it seems to have healed up fine with no damage to the tattoo. Everything seems to heal differently and there's a new surprise every other tattoo.

Hair dye is scary. Paraphenylenediamine & hair dye contact allergy. DermNet NZ

Scary, but im glad its better.

Yikes! Yes its bad. Fortunately I have never had a reaction on my face. But the back of my ears and entire scalp are a mess!

• 11 months later...