Your Opinion?

JustBrowsin

Hey ladies/gents. So I got some work done last wednesday & today is monday. Followed every procedure that I typically do w/all my other tattoos & this one seems different to me. I'm getting some gnarly scabbing, which is par for the course, at least in my experience, so no worries there. However, my forearm is pink compared to my other forearm. Healing was going fine for the first 2-3 days & then there was a warm heat coming from the area. There's no oozing of any sort.

Over the weekend, when I would stand up & all the blood would rush to my arm it was a pretty intense feeling, almost like pins & needles. It was uncomfortable. This has since subsided. Now I'm just a bit concerned w/the pinkness that's spread down to my inner-wrists (tattoo stops about 4" above it) I'm swinging into the shop in 2hrs when they open, just curious if anyone else has experienced swelling & a mild heat coming from their healing tattoo.

Worst case I go to the doc & get some antibiotics, don't want to under-exaggerate it, best to be safe. I just don't want a doctor telling me the risks involved w/tattoos. I know what they are & my shop is formidable, it's either what's going on w/this particular tattoo or I had exposed it to something airborn or accidental touch over the past few days. There's not much pain to it anymore aside from the bending of my arm in contrast to the scabbing that lays w/in the crease of my inner-forearm. Been applying fragrance-free lotion & cleaned it w/anti-bacterial soap & dry patted it w/a paper-towel the first 36 hrs or so.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing and going to get your artist's advice.

I've had heat on most of my tattoos for four to five days following the session, and all different levels of scanning. But the growing redness around the area does seem like something you may want to go to the doctor for. So what if they give you the whole crap about not agreeing with tattoos ... You can tune that out and just take their advice about healing.

Good luck

The tattoo's on my inner-forearms do that everytime. Get's red/pink, swells more then other spots, get's warm and all that (and I'm OCD about wound care since I work at a hospital.) It's just how my skin reacts there is all. It calms down after about 4-5 days and totally stops around 5-6. The skin on different parts of your body is different and may react different to the process.

Agree with JeffK, some of my tattoo's on the inner upper arm, calf, knee did the same. Swelling, getting red/pink and also they got warm. After a few sessions on the legs I took one or two anti-inflammatory tablets to help with the healing process and to avoid any inflammation. I am not a big fan of taking medicine if I don't have to but it made quite a difference to past sessions and helped the healing.

Thanks guys! Stopped by my artist yesterday & he said it was typical. Still followed up w/my doc appt though in which he said I had cellulitis (infection of the soft tissue) so he put me on some anti-biotics. Either way, I'm not stressing over it. It is a gnarly spot to heal though on the inner forearms.

• 1 year later...