Another laser chronicle

SStu

Ok, short story background 1st. I got my 1st tattoo (the "traditional" snake on the left) in 1974. Between then and the early '90s I kept adding on, making the mistakes of a/trying to get the tattooist to replicate my artwork, b/thinking my designs and attempts to tie it all together would work + c/trusting that the last artist could "refresh" the look by re-inking everything. Result = helter/skelter, muddy jumble on prime real estate (all you youngsters - I hope you truly realize what a wonderfull educational tool the internet has become). The artist I now want to do a nice back piece thinks he could cover it without laser, but I want to give him more freedom/options. Here's how it looked last fall:

backbefore_zpsa6fb0c45.jpg

I'm going to New Look in Houston. They offered/used Dr.Numb for the 1st 2 treatments, both of which lasted about 45 minutes - and this is the result 8 weeks after the 2nd session:

8weeksafter2ndsession_zpsa29c138a.jpg

I'm real happy with the progress so far. That's the good news.

Here's where I'm starting to squirm. Had my 3rd session 2 weeks ago tomorrow only to learn that the entire staff had been replaced by management (??!!), they no longer use/provide numbing cream and the tech who I got passed to did an exceptionally painfull session in about 15-20 minutes. I'm going to wait 8 weeks and see how the results are before I buy my own Dr.Numb and book my next appointment.

Did they ice you down / do they use a cooler on you?

For your first two treatments, was that 45 minutes of actual zapping, or it took 45 minutes because you needed to take breaks? That whole area should be treated within 8-12 minutes, tops, of actual "laser" time.

Did they ice you down / do they use a cooler on you?

For your first two treatments, was that 45 minutes of actual zapping, or it took 45 minutes because you needed to take breaks? That whole area should be treated within 8-12 minutes, tops, of actual "laser" time.

No icing, but the cooler is in 1 hand and the zapper in the other.

No actrual breaks in any session, and most of the 45 minutes was laser time for the 1st 2 sessions. Maybe she was slow?

@SStu - she must have been extremely slow, for whatever reason. That's a REALLY long time.

The cooler runs at -35°F, so maybe ask the tech to hold on you for 5-10 seconds before they start running the laser, that may help.

I've found with clients the closer to the spine, the more sensitive the area tends to be for removal.

ok i'm no laser guy or whatever but from what i've seen/heard 45 min is very long time....first time i saw laser being used i was actually amazed over how fast it was done! zap zap zap and my friends not so awesome homemade tribal armband was history!

but your back is getting there for sure, just looking forward to see your cover-up/back piece!

@SStu - she must have been extremely slow, for whatever reason. That's a REALLY long time.

I'll tell you what - I was much more comfortable with the 45 minute sessions (with good results) than I was with the 1 x 20 minute session. Regardless of the amount of lightening on this last appointment I'd choose the longer, more tolerable visit any day.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

8 weeks after my 4th session:

8weeksafter4thsession_zpse280a189.jpg

Dropped by Eye Candy just over a week ago and Randy Muller seems quite happy with the results and advises we're easily to a fade level that will give him good options for a cover. He took a couple of pictures and we'll consult again in a couple of weeks. Hoping to be starting on my back piece in September.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...