Good places to eat and drink around tattoo shops?

Graeme

Anyone have recommendations for places near State of Grace in San Jose? Breakfast and dinner? I've been to Izakaya in SJ, was pretty happy with it.

Giving this one a bump to get some more input. Also looking for lodging in the area.

Hi @SeeSea! I had a hard time finding budget friendly lodging...the area isn't cheap and the cheaper hotels/motels had scary reviews (like: bed bugs :eek:!). We ended up staying at Hotel de Anza, which is a pretty nice art deco building with some fancy touches (chocolates for the pillow, robes, free cookies & apples, etc.), it was something like $234 a night and we stayed 2 nights. To soften the blow of the cost, I paid half up front a couple months in advance when I booked it. I prefer a coffee maker in the room, but they don't have that so we took advantage of room service...another expense. The beds were very comfy and the staff were really nice--first guy at the front desk asked if we were in town for a rock show... Some of the other guests looked a little more business-like than us.

Food-wise, we found a cute sushi place up the street from the hotel called Fuji Sushi. We tried a pizza place nearby the second night. It was ok, can't remember the name of it but just so-so. There's a good coffee place right near SOG, but again, can't remember the name. It's like half a block away on the same side of the street.

So, did I miss something--are you booked???

@SeeSea - The coffee shop @TrixieFaux is referring to is Roy's and it is very good. Right across the street from SOG is a really good Hawaiian place called Hukilau. If you like Korean food there is a excellent place up the street from there called SJ Omogari. Japantown also has a number of sushi restaurants, snow cone places, and a really good mocha shop.

Mochi not mocha

@TrixieFaux - not yet - I have a call in, but Molly and Taki have been traveling, so I hope to get a call back early this week. I am planning a trip out to see family in CA in November and HOPE to make a side trip to San Jose! ::fingers crossed:: The Hotel de Anza is actually cheaper than that in November, so that would be good.

@Fala - thanks for the lodging references - it's so hard looking at stuff online. St Claire looks very reasonable, and only a short distance from SOG. Thanks!

@cvportagee - thanks for the references. It sounds like we won't have to go far for anything good! I'll most likely be traveling with mom - taking a puddle jump from Burbank for a couple nights.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Saved Tattoo - Williamsburg, Brooklyn

So there are about a million places to eat at in Williamsburg and from my experience, quite a few of them are very good. The one place me and @Pugilist have made a pre-tattoo ritual though is a sandwich shop on Metropolitan called Saltie. They have a vegetarian sandwich called the Clean Slate that is hummus, bulghur, pickled vegetables, and coriander on naan that along with a cup of genmaicha is hearty and filling but doesn't sit in the bottom of my gut and is pretty much exactly what I need before getting tattooed. I am including a picture below.

Spuyten Duyvil is a bar also on Metropolitan that came recommended by Thomas Hooper and has a pretty crazy selection of rare and obscure bottled beer...lots of sour beers from tiny European breweries and things like that. A nice selection of draft beer too. One of the bartenders has that Hooper Dürer four horsemen sleeve.

Personally though, I prefer The Commodore on Metropolitan and Havemeyer because they have my favourite beer, Harpoon IPA, on tap, and you can get some good greasy food there. The fried chicken was surprisingly really good, and the nachos are huge and delicious.

Walter Foods on Grand is a good bet too. Nicely done and pretty classic New American food, and @Pugilist says they make the best Old Fashioned in the world.

Cool Thread. Food and drinks are very important post tattoo.

I will be at Saved on the 10th and 14th of March so I've been doing research for all my pre and post tattoo meals and came up with the following itinerary.

- Lunch on the 10th will be at Best Pizza, http://best.piz.za.com/gotta have Brooklyn pizza, right? Any other places? Of course I plan on asking opinions at the shop.

- Staying at the Pointe Plaza Hotel, about 15 blocks from Saved. Is walking to Saved from hotel to far?

- Pre-tattoo meal Sal's Pizza, on Lorimer St. one block away. http://www.salspizzawilliamsburg.com/

- My buddies tattoo With Chris Cleen is at 2pm, mine starts at 4pm

- Huge raw oyster dinner at Maison Premiere and good beers. http://maisonpremiere.com/

- Continued drinking at Union Pool http://union-pool.com/

- Head back to hotel

Any other recommendations in Williamsburg area welcomed

I love an Old Fashioned so Walters might be the dinner spot and they have oysters...

@herewego Walter's is excellent and you can't go wrong with an Old Fashioned and oysters there.
@herewego The little co-op next to Saved is great too if you need something in a pinch to get your sugars up.

Thanks guys I think Walter's is more our speed, but damn Maison has 34 different oysters on their menu..... @CultExciter forgive me for sounding stupid, but is a co-op, like a deli or convenience store?

• 4 weeks later...

I hit up Mighty Quinn's barbecue this weekend right near KA (and Adorned, Invisible, etc). The sides were kinda hit or miss, but damned if all of the smoked meats we had weren't awesome. And, on top of it, the people were some of the most friendly I've encountered working in Manhattan. Haha. Highly recommended.

Mighty Quinn's Barbeque

Anyone have any recommendations for Dallas (anywhere) or Austin (relatively close to Rock of Ages)?

Torchy's Tacos I think there are a couple locations around the city

also drink Jester King beer whenever you have a chance

when are you going? i'm planning to visit family down there in April/May

Torchy's Tacos I think there are a couple locations around the city

also drink Jester King beer whenever you have a chance

when are you going? i'm planning to visit family down there in April/May

Thanks for the beer recommendation! I'm headed down this weekend. Getting very excited.

@Shaun1105 there's an Indian restaurant a couple doors down from ROA that Chad recommended to me that I was planning on checking out next time I'm there, I was just in a hurry and not in the mood for curry so I got chipotle next door.

Thanks exume. I saw that there was a Chipotle - and I DO like going to Chipotle because there are none near me without going over the border - but I won't be in a hurry and wanted to go with something local.

Where I go to get inked is in Kansas City. We have some great authentic Mexican, but some can be a bit too authentic if ya catch my drift. Like, locked to the toilet seat for the next hour authentic. I usually just go home and go to bed, but I think on Saturday I'll go to this bar/sandwich place called the Bulldog. They're pricey, and they seem to perpetually change the menu to have less food for more money, but I really like their sandwiches and I may prime myself with a beer too, if I can get my sunday off for R&R.