Don't waste your money on creams or try this at home

Passing along one of the few good reads on the web, from a Dr's point of view on OTC vanishing creams and at-home methods.

“We had a patient once who had used salt to try to scrub the tattoo off,” said dermatologist Dr. Amy Derick.

"Derick, a member of the American Academy of Dermatology, said she has also seen patients try self-removal methods, including gels and creams. But she said there is no evidence that they work."

Tattoo Regrets Lead Many To Take Removal Into Their Own Hands « CBS New York

These people don't think it through when they get the tattoo and don't think it through when they want to get rid of the tattoo. Why would anyone pay for laser removal if these creams worked? My one problem with the article is that I've never heard that 27% of people with a tattoo want it removed; all the numbers I've seen are in the 18% range.

Hi All - I am new member...following protocol: my name is Brandi, I tried searching for my question to avoid a duplicate post but didn't find anything relavent.

I am wondering what the consensus is on Tattoo Vanish, the non-laser tattoo removal treatment. I have a 2"x2" tattoo on my inner ankle, black ink, that I would like to remove. I am not opposed to covering up but would like to keep roughly the same size of 2"x2" which is why I am considering removal. Also, I am taking into consideration that tattoo removal (laser or non-laser) may not fully remove the ink which is why I may choose to cover up.

I have read through the threads related to laser removal and it seems that this is the common process but was wondering if anyone had feedback on Tattoo Vanish. Any information or feedback would help as I am currently assessing what would best suit my needs and expectations.

Thanks in advance!

Brandi

inner_ankle_tattoo_thumb.jpg

Here's more numbers, again who knows how the questions are being asked and what segment of the population they are polling: Nearly One-Third Of People With Tattoos Regret Getting One: Study

My issue with that article is the word "regret" - I talk to people every day, "regret" is rarely used. Sure, when people find out I do tattoo removal I hear a lot of, "good to know, I have this one tattoo that I'm not fond of anymore..." but that word regret really bothers me for some reason. Like art on the wall in your home or the color of car you drive, some people just change their minds, and that's not always a regretful decision.

Hi All - I am Brandi (new to this site) and following protocol searched for my topic and couldn't find any previous mention.

@Mike Panic - what is your opinion or knowledge about Tattoo Vanish, the non-laser tattoo removal process? I am considering this approach for a small 2"x2" inner ankle tattoo, black ink (link to gallery below). I am not opposed to covering the tattoo up but would prefer my cover up to stay about the same size. Just wanting to get more information about Tattoo Vanish techniques from the opinion of someone who is experienced with tattoo removal.

inner_ankle_tattoo_608403_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Brandi

Brandi - I have no first hand experience with the procedure however I did find this video after a quick search:

I've heard of this new technique of tattooing in ink or "all natural whatever" to remove / vanish tattoos. That video scares me. To properly apply a tattoo, an artist has to hold the machine at a very specific angle, with pressure and a touch that only a proper apprenticeship can give you. The person doing that seems to be in a hurry more than anything. Also, there is no clip-cord cover, which is one of the easiest ways to start cross contamination problems within any tattoo shop.

My other main problem with this is that it's invasive. More needles going into the skin. Tattoo removal via FDA approved laser works by focusing a condensed beam of light at pigment and fracturing it, thus creating much smaller particles of ink that the immune system can dispose of. It's non invasive, it's much quicker and has proven results.

I'm not totally opposed to new technology or learning, but your tattoo would take about 40 seconds to treat with a laser, probably closer to 5 minutes with this product, and with a tattoo machine (invasive). Depending on the cover-up piece you wanted, you'd be set in 2-5 treatments to have your artist go over it from laser tattoo removal. This invasive cream, I just can't tell you anything about it.

For what it's worth, most of my competition locally are dermatologists or "med-spas" who all use similar equipment to us. There is a reason why the Q-Switch Nd:YAG laser is considered to be the standard in removing tattoos.

The day a cream gets invented that can knock any tattoo out in a few months will change tattoos and tattooing forever. Laser has the right balance of pain, time, cost with no guarantee of total removal to still keep tattoos the (almost) permanent body modification they should be.

Hi All - I am new member...following protocol: my name is Brandi, I tried searching for my question to avoid a duplicate post but didn't find anything relavent.

I am wondering what the consensus is on Tattoo Vanish, the non-laser tattoo removal treatment. I have a 2"x2" tattoo on my inner ankle, black ink, that I would like to remove. I am not opposed to covering up but would like to keep roughly the same size of 2"x2" which is why I am considering removal. Also, I am taking into consideration that tattoo removal (laser or non-laser) may not fully remove the ink which is why I may choose to cover up.

I have read through the threads related to laser removal and it seems that this is the common process but was wondering if anyone had feedback on Tattoo Vanish. Any information or feedback would help as I am currently assessing what would best suit my needs and expectations.

Thanks in advance!

Brandi

inner_ankle_tattoo_thumb.jpg

Any coverup is going to be larger- you HAVE to give your artist freedom with that kind of thing.. but bigger can be beautiful. If they keep it feminine, maybe the size would not matter as much.

• 2 weeks later...
These people don't think it through when they get the tattoo and don't think it through when they want to get rid of the tattoo. Why would anyone pay for laser removal if these creams worked? My one problem with the article is that I've never heard that 27% of people with a tattoo want it removed; all the numbers I've seen are in the 18% range.

word, man. that shit is crap. in my (and im guessing) a lot of others research into laser, more than not, you get hit off with bullshit reads and percentage numbers and stuff until you start to feel like a peice of crap for getting tattoos in the first place (which is why i say fuck the laser industry).

but most of what id run into is that "50 percent regret their tattoos". well, yeah, i beleive that. a lot of people get stupid ass tattoos and never should have got one in the first place..

but most of what id run into is that "50 percent regret their tattoos". well, yeah, i beleive that. a lot of people get stupid ass tattoos and never should have got one in the first place..

I see far less than 50% who "regret" their tattoos, I do see a high percentage of people who aren't happy with the quality of the tattoo and have outright told me they where a cheap-ass with their first tattoo and not that cheap tattoos always have to be terrible tattoos, but it usually means a less experienced artist or apprentice, so lines aren't always as clean as they could or should be.

Wow that's a huge run-on sentence, ha.

I don't think I know anyone who has over let's say 20 tattoos that kind of wish they could cover up or remove at least one of them. I don't think any of these people regret getting heavily tattooed, just either they made a bad design choice or got tattooed someone who didn't know what they were doing. Saying people regret their tattoo kind of infers that they don't want to have a tattoo.

I have a tattoo I want removed, but will probably never do it, but still would rather have it gone and put something else there, but at this point what is the point, they all blend together anyways.

• 8 months later...