How long should I wait after a tattoo to play sports?

vPooch

Hello everyone I searched and couldn't find a topic on this. I play box lacrosse and have my first tattoo booked for Thursday how long should I wait to get back to playing after I get it done? Thanks!

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

@vPooch Listen to your body. First few days will be swelling, then the flaking/scabbing. If your forearm gets a lot of play in lacrosse, you'll just want to make sure it's covered up for safety and hygiene until its healed.

Thanks yeah I'm probably just gunna tell the coach that I'll be out for a week tops because I wanna make sure its healed before going back since I dont want to mess it up

tell your coach that you will be training, not just the moments of action where you might be slashed over your forearm. cardio training go! run up a hill or two! :)

Yea i could always do that thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Twice recently I got tattoos on different Monday nights.

The first one was on my back. I couldn't really do squats with a barbell for at least a week, and even 2 weeks later it was still pretty sensitive if the bar had a lot of knurling. I could not do bench press for a week.

The second one was on my ankle. The following day it was terribly swollen and painful. I took a walk and it would actually feel a little better. The day after that I felt okay to lift weights and by the third day I went to my olympic weight lifting class without any pain or discomfort.

Both times I went for a hike on Saturday and I swear the hiking and sweating speeds up the peeling process.

Interesting. I've taken it easy for a week or so after getting inked because I wondered if the stinging from sweat meant that color could be at risk. I like to keep a regular exercise routine going but don't want to risk compromising a healing tattoo.

If y'all are finding it doesn't mess with the coloring, that's great!

• 3 weeks later...
and I also heard that excessive sweating could push a little bit of the ink out :/
Interesting. I've taken it easy for a week or so after getting inked because I wondered if the stinging from sweat meant that color could be at risk. I like to keep a regular exercise routine going but don't want to risk compromising a healing tattoo.

Yeah I'm wondering a little about this, too. I got two tattoos on the backs of my shoulders on Friday night, and I went for a 4-mile run the next morning in a misty rain and muggy conditions. I felt a tiny bit of stinging on my back as I started to sweat, but it's now four days later, (I've run twice again since then), and I haven't noticed anything amiss with my tattoos. They seem fine. They're just black and gray, though - not sure if color would act any differently.

Anyone else have any knowledge about/experience with sweating with healing tattoos?

• 2 weeks later...

I've gone to the gym more than once the day after getting new ink. I wear a looser shirt so I'm comfortable. Also use an antibiotic cream on anything exposed and wash it as soon as I get home. As long as nothing rubs directly on the new tattoo, you'll be okay.

My son's friend walks in the other day, very large fresh lower leg tattoo, still swollen. He took a few days off from the gym.

Rob

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...