Tattoo Regulation 2013

Joe Stratford

Harry Styles' tattoo artist leads campaign to regulate industry as it is revealed untrained tattooists are buying equipment on eBay - with terrifying consequences | Mail Online

You know some of the comments on here will be gold-dust - Exhibit A

"That was shocking! My first tattoo was done at a chaps house and he was very clean and showered before he even got to work on me. I guess I was one of the lucky ones!"

Hopefully, a bit of celebrity and media attention may help...

Obviously anybody bringing awareness to the perils of "home tattooing" is a good thing, but citing Harry Styles as a tattoo collector when he has a bunch of scratcher/prison grade work is a bit wide of the mark and doesn't help any kind of cause.

And who is Kevin Paul? I've been following tattooers obsessively for some time now and never heard of him...

You can bet this is less about education than it is about controlling your competition and keeping people out. There will always be sleazy people tattooing out of their apartment and they will always be able to get equipment wether it's regulated or not. There will also always be morons who go to "this dude my friend knows who does sweet sleeves for $200." Frankly I don't feel bad for them at all, they know they are not going about getting tattooed the right way and they will get what they pay for.

Regulations won't change that, they will only create a bunch of flaming hoops for the people who are doing it the right way to jump through.

I have a sign in my office that reads "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten." I find that to be true in almost every aspect of life.