Anyone think of an impulsive tattoo idea and just go out and get it right away?

Even when i plan a tattoo, it usually doesn't have that much thought involved, you know I just pick an image and then add the names of every person I know below it and then we are good to go. But seriously I have been planning a pretty tattoo for some time now and am for once proud for coming up with my own idea, I just haven't been able to get around to doing it, I have been starting at line drawing for months, just need to get started. But at this point I still have a dragon to finish on my thigh and an appoinment Matt Arriola in late June before I can even get started.

When are in June are you getting tattooed by Matt? I will probably be down there sometime in June, but haven't made the plans yet. What are you getting?

Avery I am getting tattooed by Matt on Monday June 24th @6pm. I will probably get into town a few hours early and plan on getting a room and driving back to Portland the next day. I am thinking I will get something along the same vein of his spiders, but have a couple ideas to change it up a bit. Really I would be happy with anything from him. Hopefully I can get my shit together enough to get to Austin this fall and get tattooed by Steve Byrne as well, I know it's the only way it will happen is if I make myself do it.

Some of my favorite tattoos that I have were impulsive decisions. Most recently have been a small rooster(right below my knee if you must know) from Alex at FTW, and one of Jacek's awesome slugs from Mom's. A lot of the tattoos I've done on myself have been somewhat spur of the moment decisions, mostly because I was itching for practice at the time.

Most of the nights Im out drinking with my tattooed friends, we decide that we want to go get impulse tattoos.

So far, we have continued to loose track of time and have yet to make it to a shop before they close.

This has worked out for the best because "A", getting tattooed while drunk is dumb and "B" most of the ideas I think up while drinking are dumber.

i kind of just had this experience today. found out Chad Koeplinger was going to be in my city due to un-foreseen travel plan changes on his side. i always knew i wanted to get tattooed by him so i took this opportunity to make it happen, we figured out an appointment time this morning and we got it done this afternoon. to be honest, when i got to the shop, i didnt even know what part of my body i was going to get tattooed. i just want to say getting tattooed by him was such a awesome experience, i'm so happy right now. if im not shy i might just post a pic after it's healed a little.

I usually know for a month or two that I want to get a certain type of tattoo like a desert scene, ocean scene, a tree, etc., and then it takes me a few weeks to find the images I want and put it all together. Then make the appointment so that's another two weeks or so. In the end my tattoos are usually a three month process or so. The most impulsive ones I have were the first few I got when I was younger. They're all small and not very detailed and were done with friends when they were visiting and we had a little extra cash to spare.

My favorite impulse tattoo would be my bee tattoo although it really wasn't even an impulse tattoo either lol I was getting a tattoo, saw it on some flash and made an appointment for my friend and I to get it two weeks later when she would be down visiting. Technically not an impulse tattoo I guess?

• 4 weeks later...

Considering what would be "impulsive" for us...when we were at the shop today to show the artist how we're healing, he told us that in a couple weeks he's having a customer appreciation day b/c he's moving. He's doing up a bunch of skulls and then you pick one and he'll do it for $50. I don't know that I'm so much a skull kinda girl, but maybe if it was a sugar skull or something purty I'd go for it...so we're pondering it to get another something before he leaves. That might be dumb, getting something you're unsure about just to get something.

I don't know how impulsive this is since I've had my next tattoo planned for months now (will be 7 months once I get it) but its the first where the imagery is going to be kind of last minute. I know it's a lady head, I know it will be large and on my thigh, BUT I don't really know what she will look like. It's driving me a little crazy since I like to have control over things and be prepared, but also a little exciting. I've been trying for the past few months to come up with a clear idea of what I want, but just can't. Instead, I know I want a lady head from this tattooer and I know I want it to be a badass, confident, kick ass lady (maybe with a wolf and dagger - but not a wolf headdress). To me, that's probably as specific as I need to be, but its driving me insane nonetheless going in blind to the consult. In a way, I think this way is better to get a tattoo, then the artist isn't constrained to the clients mock up in their head of the tattoo and can showcase their design/layout skills.

• 9 months later...

A few of my tatts have been as simple a process as having some money, walking into a shop and flipping through the flash until I saw something I liked. Others have had a lot of thought put into them, and still others were kind of in the middle where I knew what I wanted to symbolize but didn't have an exact image picked out until I talked with an artist. One tattoo in particular has been in my mind for almost six years, and symbolizes a memorial to friends and family that have passed. Each of my tattoos, regardless of the meaning or lack of, has a memory attached to it, and that's what I like best about them. However, I think if I got every idea I had as an actual tattoo, id have a lot of tattoos I wouldn't like now.

I often wake up and feel that i want to get tattooed that day so i just head over to smith st or green point and go and pick a recent painting from one of the guys, or ill have a time space booked and turn up and just talk until we decide on something...some of my best and favorite tattoos have come from approaching it like this, I don't feel there should be a correct process or time frame to getting them, i just love it!!! haha

I think the longest I have waited to get a tattoo with an appointment was one week...lol.

All of my tattoos are impulsive you could say, but they all mean so much to me and I wouldn't take them back for the world. I guess just every so often I decide its the day to get a tattoo that I've thought about but never really made concrete plans about.

I am just an impulsive person in general though lol.

My version of impulsive has been: I really want this by this artist, it doesn't fit into "the plan" but I don't care, it is totally unplanned, I haven't saved for it but when can I get it? The response: 5 months. So, my impulsive was an appointment booked 5 months out (now 2.)

my wrist tattoos are a bit impulsive, i decided before i left Canada i wanted a maple leaf, well i went and got a maple leaf that same day (the outline in red at least) then when i returned to the US I decided you know i want the eagle on the back of the 1986 (the year i was born) US quarter on my left wrist outlined in blue so i went in and got it the same day I returned to the US (I always carry an 86 quarter with me lol i'm weird).

I'll be in NYC at the end of March and may or may not get a small impulsive tattoo depending on how rich -- or not -- I'm feeling. I'm going with my tattoo-averse SO, though (which is another story), so my opportunities to stop by shops are limited. I was hoping to stop by Smith St and NY Adorned, anyway.

I got a tattoo of the ice cream kid from the cover of the Grateful Deads Europe 72 album with about 10 minutes of thought. Parked my car in front of Aboslute art and ended up inside before I knew it talking to Mike Rennie...turned out amazing

Maybe my favourite Dead album. How'd the tattoo turn out?

- - - Updated - - -

My life is a series of impulsive tattoos!

I think if you click on my profile there is a shitty picture of it. If not I will try and post one

I'm very happy with it. I had mike put flames where the his hair would be - as a tribute to a great now deceased friend. We shared an affinity to the line in GREATEST Story every Told : his brain was boiling his reason was was spent -

Another reason that image means alot to me is that Stanley Mouse referred to it as "trouble comes in many flavors" Alas I always seem to find the chocolate

QUOTE=Mark Bee;88574]Maybe my favourite Dead album. How'd the tattoo turn out?

- - - Updated - - -

My life is a series of impulsive tattoos!