Tattoo shops putting on "sales"

Eskimette

Though rare (as it is not really an industry standard), I am seeing it -. I get that this is a business, tattooing - but this just does not seem right.. like a plastic surgeon having a sale on implants.lol...

I know it's common to discount for a good client or knock a little off the hourly rate for a long sitting, and or for a 'portfolio piece' that the artist just really wants to do, however, blatantly advertising a "sale" on the radio is a different story..

Personal opinion - no offense meant.

Thoughts? Would love your take on this...

Does this happen in your area?

The Pearl has a deal on this April. They are offering $100 daffodil tattoos with %100 of the cash going to cancer research. That's a special I can get behind.

That is a fantastic idea. I like that idea.

specials and flash days arent what i was referring to..i meant a discount of general services for promotional purposes.

But these specials = great shop ideas.. I am really liking the daffodile tattoo thing

This sounds killer! I need to do this one day.

I wish something like this would work in the city I'm in..one city over and it would.but this town you get a lot of "believe" tattoos..silhouettes of birds... tazmanian devil..butterflies..not many "traditionally minded" tattoo collectors..lol

- - - Updated - - -

not that all flash is traditional..just that they wouldnt really get the concept..

In general I would say do what you want, but what I have always been taught is if you run specials, the people that come in are usually just cheapskates, and you won't see them back until the next time you do a special, and if you don't do another special, they will go to a shop that does. They will haggle design, placement, size and everything under the sun, because they are going to try to find some way for you to do the tattoo they wanted in the first place, instead of the flash you agreed to do.

Groupon seems like an act of desperation and I would never be involved with something like that. Besides that can you imagine how overwhelmed a shop would be trying to fill all those orders and at the end of the day you are tattooing for free or essentially free and your client won't get tattooed again until someone else runs a groupon.

In regards to the artwork rebels deal, the flash is usually 300 and $600 so they are doing tattoos for $150-$300 which is a great deal for people who like good tattoos but a high enough price point to drive out the cheapskates. I can't speak directly for the shop, but I have hung around those guys enough to know they aren't giving anything away. @CABS they have the same deal when doing conventions, you could probably get one at State of Grace.

If you are going to give people a special deal, I would say it should be to reward people that have been loyal customers and paying full price the whole time. Make it a shop party invite only, that way the only people that get these tattoos are people that deserve them. I have been to a few of these events and they are always fun.

For the most part I don't want to get a discount on tattoos that I get. My tattooed knows some problems that I've had lately and he wants to finish some things, so he lets some time slide. But I don't like it, but he will use my tattoos as book and magazine pieces so he feels even.

It's just not in my blood to accept a deal unless everyone understands the conditions. Say for Friday the 13th or flash sheet page deal.... The tattooer understands that this is what he will do for this price, I'm okay with... Sadly. But he knows what he is getting into.

@CABS they have the same deal when doing conventions, you could probably get one at State of Grace.

Thanks for the heads up. I might just do that come convention time. But I still want to visit AWR. Hell, I still want to visit Portland. Dan Gilsdorf moved back up so that gives me another reason to visit.

And I hear that the strippers are hipsters. Stripsters, if you wheeel. And that there's a shuttle that takes you from brewery to brewery to brewery. If that ain't enough incentive to visit, I don't know what is.

Thanks for the heads up. I might just do that come convention time. But I still want to visit AWR. Hell, I still want to visit Portland. Dan Gilsdorf moved back up so that gives me another reason to visit.

And I hear that the strippers are hipsters. Stripsters, if you wheeel. And that there's a shuttle that takes you from brewery to brewery to brewery. If that ain't enough incentive to visit, I don't know what is.

LOL that sounds traumatizing. haha..

I believe a regular client should be allowed some time slide, I dont think prices should be matched if a new client comes in and drops hints that they have been quoted less, My tattooist started my full day bookings at 1200, now that ive spent so much with him i can get a full day for around the 600 mark, that being said i sit like a rock and i let him run free with it aslong as its bright and colorful lol