2013: The Bay Area Convention of Tattoo Arts

Boom! Teaser shot until my sesh on monday!

Gogue tomorrow! I will spare u guys pics of my robert hernandez piece I got on friday since I know this forum is traditional biased, but I will say that its sick as fuck!

- - - Updated - - -

well I'm not biased,I want to see the other pieces bro !

well jeez @beez, sounds like you did the convention right! A little envious and a lot happy for you over here!!!

edited to add: @MoistTowelette please do not "spare us" any pics! I don't have any traditional tattoos, I think most ppl here regardless of style like to look at any good tattoos, and I'm assuming yours is.

My appointment with Matt ran late, which is par for the course at conventions. It also allowed me to go to an impromptu LST dinner with @Reyeslv and his wife, @cvportagee and his wife, @ian, @Scott R and @Lance. Three Jill Bonny backs at one table!

When we got back, Matt was ready to roll. He drew on the eagle and banged it out in no time. It was fun; I had Thomas Hooper on one side of me and Steve Byrne on the other, while @Stewart Robson and @Valerie Vargas were right across from me. The eagle, by the way, came out great:

2983851c3f2411e3acfe22000a9e0702_8.jpg

5d0b48663f2411e3af7e22000a1f8ae5_8.jpg

And @beez, your back looks great! You were handling it like a champ.

- - - Updated - - -

And @MoistTowelette, don't make us beg!

Ended up getting something from DJ Rose yesterday. I gave him a fairly vague idea (and no descriptive imagery whatsoever) and he came up with the perfect tattoo. Like @hogg above, I was in a pretty great vantage point: I had Henning (doing a dragon head on some fellow's hand) and Rubendall (tattooing a fellow's head, I didn't see the design) on one side, and Grez on the other (working on a big squid on a girl's thigh).

Instagram

- - - Updated - - -

oh the bay and the low ceiling, I just got home after my SFO was severely delayed taking bart to Oakland then flight to San Diego onto Phoenix finally home to okc.

I really enjoyed meeting the gang, @cvportagee and his wife were so nice and it was good to get to know them better. also cool to see BOSS @hogg @Reyeslv and his wife @Lance @ian @9Years and @beez

[

Man, I'm really kinda bummed I didn't run into anyone else from the forum. It was great to see @Reyeslv, his lady, and @ian again, but I wish I had seen more of you guys!

I'm stoked by all the people I got to meet - fellow tattoo enthusiasts! - but would have been cool to meet even more people! @cltattooing I guess this just means I'll have to stop by next time I'm in Oakland and, I dunno, get a tattoo or something ;).

Oh, man. I'm really sorry your flight(s) home were so jacked.

And I read the above as "Reyeslv and his wife Lance." Can I take your order, ma'am?

That was a laugh out loud moment during dinner. That waiter was definitely flustered after that one.

I also want to thank all of the awesome people I had a chance to meet this weekend. My wife and I had a great time hanging out with @Scott R this weekend and introducing him to the Swan Oyster Depot. We had a lot of fun during dinner and talking with @hogg, @Reyeslv and his wife, @Lance, and @ian. It was nice to meet you too @beez and your back is looking beautiful.

The convention was a blast and hopefully everyone can do this again next year!

Im not @beez, but the yellow dog looking thing (sorry I dont know much about Japanese tattoos or their terminology) and the orange lotus just barely visible on her shoulder makes me think that it is her.

@MoistTowelette yup, that's me in 53!

@Delicious good eye!! The yellow dog looking thing (you are not the first to describe it is a such!) is a karajishi or fu dog. :) And it's a peony, not a lotus, but it is just barely visible, so kind of hard to see!! I'm impressed that you caught that much from the photo! Too bad you couldn't make it this time!

That blank spot on the back of my arm is also now home to a sweet little snake/hand/mandala joint by robert ryan (i'm just gonna say that 800 times now ;P), and I'm feeling stoked and lucky indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

Yay! That would be great. Perhaps even lunch. :)

Definitely! I'll be around in January. TattooLunch.

That was a laugh out loud moment during dinner. That waiter was definitely flustered after that one.

I also want to thank all of the awesome people I had a chance to meet this weekend. My wife and I had a great time hanging out with @Scott R this weekend and introducing him to the Swan Oyster Depot. We had a lot of fun during dinner and talking with @hogg, @Reyeslv and his wife, @Lance, and @ian. It was nice to meet you too @beez and your back is looking beautiful.

The convention was a blast and hopefully everyone can do this again next year!

Ha ha! That's what happens @cvportagee when you're a 5'-8"ish cherubic faced Asian with long straight hair, I guess. You end up being called ma'am when people take your order, and @hogg and thinks you're @Reyeslv's wife. Then there's @Scott R who wants you to take your clothes off. He wanted to see the back piece but it was hilarious. Oh the things that happen at the SFO convention. Not to mention meeting @ian too and then seeing him tough it out, getting his chest tattooed Sunday. Oh and I cannot forget to mention meeting @beez punch drunk on tattoos. It was awesome. You're a mad woman getting tattooed all day. @MoistTowelette, I saw your post too late. I saw you getting your ribs done by Gogue but I didn't know it was you. That Hannya is jaw dropping impressive. It was great meeting everyone and their spouses. I would have liked to have met the rest too, next year for sure.

Like Scott R my flight out was delayed too. It was annoying cuz all I was thinking was how I could have stayed till the end of the convention instead of sitting at the airport, then again waiting in the plane sitting on the tarmac. Awesome convention though. The busiest one I've been to in the last 4 years. And the Shige seminar was awesome. I'll try to post something on that later. Let me also add that all of you who got tattooed from what I saw was awesome and cvportagee, Jill's back came out great and Horitomo's is bad ass already. I'm incredibly jealous, but it's going on a good guy. Can't wait till December/January when it's my turn.

Hahaha this is fun, funny, and true. @Lance got a big hug from me. Which was awkward considering WE HAD NEVER MET ahahahahaha, thanks for understanding, Lance!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

ba9a8f723ec611e3b62222000aeb43cc_8.jpg

Found a pic! Scraped from instagram.

I consider having fun at the convention and meeting new people a justifiable reason enough to hug! Don't you? Sides we were in SF, the Seattle Freeze need not apply. Ha ha!

And that's a better view from when I saw it being done. NICE!