Poutine before getting a tattoo?

donbcivil

As a spoiled Montrealer, I can say that a poutine would likely be a good pre-tattoo meal. You must be careful in choosing the size that you order, or you may fall into a food induced coma, then you run the risk of waking up with 56 stars tattooed on your face ;) Just don't pair it with a Coke, I suspect that the cafeine makes the tattoo process less pleasant.

As a spoiled Montrealer, I can say that a poutine would likely be a good pre-tattoo meal. You must be careful in choosing the size that you order, or you may fall into a food induced coma, then you run the risk of waking up with 56 stars tattooed on your face ;) Just don't pair it with a Coke, I suspect that the cafeine makes the tattoo process less pleasant.

If food coma is a problem it's a good thing most shops are probably closed on Thanksgiving (both the October Thanksgiving and the November one).

The only poutine I've had so far has been in BC but if I can make it to Quebec I look forward to trying the original recipe! (There's a place in Seattle that has it but I question how real it'll be)

I eat poutine at least once a week and I probably wouldn't choose it for a pre-tattoo meal because it tends to sit heavy in the gut. Pre-tattoo, I like to eat something filling, but not something super heavy.

Curious @Graeme, is it just plain uncomfortable for you or not part of your regular regime? Usually on tattoo day, I set out to eat a pretty hefty meal because I know I'll be sitting for about at least 5 hours with maybe a quick bathroom break in between. I find the larger meal gets me through the session and some small snacks on top of that as well.

Curious @Graeme, is it just plain uncomfortable for you or not part of your regular regime? Usually on tattoo day, I set out to eat a pretty hefty meal because I know I'll be sitting for about at least 5 hours with maybe a quick bathroom break in between. I find the larger meal gets me through the session and some small snacks on top of that as well.

Right now my pre-tattoo ritual is eating a hummus and bulgur sandwich with a cup of genmaicha, and then drinking plenty of water and having snacks like bananas, dried fruits and nuts, or a Clif bar to keep my energy levels up during the session. The sandwich and tea is obviously specific to what's near the shop I get tattooed at...but for me, something substantial and nutritious that isn't overly heavy and greasy seems to work best.

Though obviously everybody is going to have their own things that work best for them. I think that it's difficult to talk about what makes a tattoo session easier/more difficult because there are so many variables at play: the spot, the tattooer, how well rested you are, what general physical condition/health you're in, what other things are going on in your life that can be distracting you, etc, etc, etc.

Right now my pre-tattoo ritual is eating a hummus and bulgur sandwich with a cup of genmaicha, and then drinking plenty of water and having snacks like bananas, dried fruits and nuts, or a Clif bar to keep my energy levels up during the session. The sandwich and tea is obviously specific to what's near the shop I get tattooed at...but for me, something substantial and nutritious that isn't overly heavy and greasy seems to work best.

Though obviously everybody is going to have their own things that work best for them. I think that it's difficult to talk about what makes a tattoo session easier/more difficult because there are so many variables at play: the spot, the tattooer, how well rested you are, what general physical condition/health you're in, what other things are going on in your life that can be distracting you, etc, etc, etc.

Agreed @Graeme I just had a large English breakfast with milk and sugar, a ham and egg sandwich and some fresh strawberries. Now off to visit a friend getting tattooed by Chris Garver at Invisible NYC before I head to my own session today at Kings Ave with Rubendall.

Agreed @Graeme I just had a large English breakfast with milk and sugar, a ham and egg sandwich and some fresh strawberries. Now off to visit a friend getting tattooed by Chris Garver at Invisible NYC before I head to my own session today at Kings Ave with Rubendall.

@ironchef Strawberries are a natural diuretic and it's not uncommon for bodybuilders to eat them pre-contest to dry out which could affect the tattoo process much like caffeine . However seeing the quality of the results your having changing your routine is clearly optional .

• 3 weeks later...

I eat very conservatively the whole day and even the day before my appointment.

Nothing really bothers me, but the day of a tattoo appointment I had eaten an egg sandwich off the coffee truck at work... which ran through me like a freight train. I was fine by tattoo time. Just couldn't imagine siting in the chair and having to get up every 10 minutes.

Rob