How do these special tattoo days work?

sbhikes

Sometimes you see that shops will have these special days like Friday the 13th or maybe fund raisers or Halloween or other holidays. They'll have a bunch of tattoos they'll do for a certain flat price on such a day. I was thinking I might do that some day just for the fun of it, not because I'm cheap or anything.

So I'm curious about it. Are these days usually really busy and hard to get a tattoo if you only have time to drop in after work? If you go to a shop that has a couple of really great artists and maybe one or two who aren't so great, do you just get pot luck who will do the tattoo or can you choose the artist? Do you get any kind of choice in certain aspects of the tattoo or is it basically exactly what is shown? For example, if the tattoo is red can you ask for orange instead?

It all depends on the event, how busy it is and the people involved. But for the most part when people say no changes, they mean no changes. Making something orange, instead of red seems like an easy request, but once you start that, you have to start entertaining everyone's color requests and I know from experience if you allow people any input they want all the input. That being said, it may not be no big deal for the person doing it, but you just never know and remember you are getting what you pay for in these scenarios.

Edit

BTW i think the coolest one of these special tattoo days I can remember was done about 8 years ago here in portland for Halloween. You basically stuck your arm or leg into a curtain, you didn't know who was tattooing you or what you were getting until the tattoo was done, but you did get to look at the sheet, you just had to be cool with getting anything on there. I didn't get tattooed, but it seemed like a fun idea.

Well, that is helpful for me to plan a strategy. There is a small tattoo that I would like and I'm not terribly fussy about the details. So if I see it on a sheet and I like as-is then I might give it a go. Otherwise, I'll just do it more deliberately like a normal tattoo.

It all depends on the event, how busy it is and the people involved. But for the most part when people say no changes, they mean no changes. Making something orange, instead of red seems like an easy request, but once you start that, you have to start entertaining everyone's color requests and I know from experience if you allow people any input they want all the input. That being said, it may not be no big deal for the person doing it, but you just never know and remember you are getting what you pay for in these scenarios.

Edit

BTW i think the coolest one of these special tattoo days I can remember was done about 8 years ago here in portland for Halloween. You basically stuck your arm or leg into a curtain, you didn't know who was tattooing you or what you were getting until the tattoo was done, but you did get to look at the sheet, you just had to be cool with getting anything on there. I didn't get tattooed, but it seemed like a fun idea.

I'd love to do the curtain thing. I'd have to really like the flash but I love the idea. Do you get a say on where it goes on your arm or leg?

Curtain thing sounds crazy!

My first 2 tattoos were flash specials. $31 tattoos on Halloween and $13 tattoos on Friday the 13th. Got hooked after those two little guys. Around here, the flash special days get crazy and it's kinda difficult to get a spot, unless you've got the day off from work. Might vary by shop, but most likely there will be no alterations and you won't have a choice in who tattoos you. It's usually arms and legs only also.

Sometimes you see that shops will have these special days like Friday the 13th or maybe fund raisers or Halloween or other holidays. They'll have a bunch of tattoos they'll do for a certain flat price on such a day. I was thinking I might do that some day just for the fun of it, not because I'm cheap or anything.

So I'm curious about it. Are these days usually really busy and hard to get a tattoo if you only have time to drop in after work? If you go to a shop that has a couple of really great artists and maybe one or two who aren't so great, do you just get pot luck who will do the tattoo or can you choose the artist? Do you get any kind of choice in certain aspects of the tattoo or is it basically exactly what is shown? For example, if the tattoo is red can you ask for orange instead?

a shop here locally had a similar day like that,during the NFL playoffs in 2012,the weekend the SF niners were in the playoffs this shop ran a "niner" special,they did niner tattoos for $49 dollars.the ones in the deal were a bit small for what I wanted so I paid a little extra and got what I wanted,still a great deal and fun with the "niner fever" and all,it was a fun atmosphere that day at the shop.I got there early and was 2nd.

here is the piece.

niners2.jpg

My local go to shop does these from time to time and ive gotten a few during these events.

They draw up a sheet of flash. All the images are linework, but you get to pick black and grey or color and pick the colors for any of the designs.

They usually get pretty busy, but ive never seen them turn anyone away. I dig all of the artists work, so Im cool with whoever is available when it is my turn.

Ive seen other people wait around for a specific artist.

I pretty much go to a specific artist for my big work, so as long as I like their portfolio, I like getting someone new for this smaller stuff.

From what I've seen, the shops make up a sheet of flash with fairly small tattoos on them. Some have the apprentice draw them up AND do the tattoo.

It's a good way to bring new people into the shop, like touts giving out free $5 vials of crack.

I gave one apprentice a nice tattoo outline #13 drawing I made, it just needed to be resized. He wound up copying it freehand and it looked like ass.

Rob

• 6 months later...

Friday the 13th is here again!! Im gonna head to some of the local shops and check out their flash to slap on my leg. This will be my first "novelty" tattoo. I decided my left leg will be filled with random american traditional pieces. This will be the start.

I hope the shops I go to arent dicks about design changes. I like some of the flash but I dont want the #13 on my body. I am in the process of interviewing for law enforcement and a tattoo with 13 on it could easily be seen as gang related. Especially here in So. Cal since 13 is associated with surenos and La Eme. Im a black guy but it could still be taken the wrong way. Lots of sets use the #13. My current ink and checkered past are enough of a hurdle without them thinking I have gang ties. I dont think its unreasonable to ask for the exact piece off of a flash sheet without the #13 slapped on.

@Genie of the West If you don't want the number 13 on your body, possibly a Friday the 13th special isn't the time to get your tatttoo.

I hope the shops I go to arent dicks about design changes. (...) I dont think its unreasonable to ask for the exact piece off of a flash sheet without the #13 slapped on.

You may have unrealistic expectations on this.

@Genie of the West If you don't want the number 13 on your body, possibly a Friday the 13th special isn't the time to get your tatttoo.

Um, you may have unrealistic expectations on this.

I've wanted a friday the 13th tattoo for a while but only until a couple days ago did I think about the whole gang related thing.... I feel like Friday the 13th tattoos are popular and widespread enough for people to know what they are if I'm asked to explain why I have two pyramids with the numbers 13 in them on my ankle, but at the same time I don't want to bring issues on myself.

I hope the shops I go to arent dicks about design changes. I like some of the flash but I dont want the #13 on my body.

Most shops have a "no design changes" on days like these. They're doing volume, get 'em in, get 'em out. However, if there's one where the 13 can easily be dropped, it's probably fine. Just expect some eye rolls.

Another option is just getting tattooed on not Friday the 13th..

You guys are right. If anything I might just go to check out the flash but it could be more trouble than it's worth to try and change anything. Maybe I'm being paranoid about the #13 thing but I'd rather be safe and sorry. I'm a bit annoyed because I wanted to get a friday the 13th tattoo back in July but couldn't because of a work obligation and then I realized it was the 13th yesterday and started checking out a buncha flash from one of the local shops and I liked a few of them.

Then I remembered I have to document all of my tattoos and explain them for the police department and I'm not sure if the #13 will be automatically considered a gang tattoo. So fuck it...

I'm itching to start work on my leg though. Maybe I'll think of something different to get tomorrow to celebrate the end of finals and getting my AA.

Then I remembered I have to document all of my tattoos and explain them for the police department

Geez, that's a drag. When I worked for a rape crisis center, the director had to visit a correctional facility because we were going to be doing some outreach on sexual assault. Anyway, they asked her if she had any tattoos and if she did to explain what they meant, blah blah. She felt extremely violated and the officers were making horrible comments. I'm sure you're a stand-up guy since you have rad tattoos, but it sucks that just because there are gang tattoos, all tattoos have to undergo the same scrutiny. And at the end of the day, your personality and character, etc. should be your judge, not the tattoos you wear.

Makes me pretty bummed out when I see good friends promoting $13 tattoos. Have more respect for your community.

Lol seriously? Most shops I see doing adds for Friday the 13th tattoos are charging more then $13, and even the ones that aren't are not offering a whole lot of tattoo at all.

This clearly a novelty thing, the ppl I see getting them are mostly already tattooed by the shops they are going to to for them anyways.

I seriously don't see anything wrong with what's clearly a tradition in the tattooing community. The flash selection is usually small, simple and unchangeable. The shops are choosing the flash, they're setting the prices and it's not just a bunch of hacks. Highly reputable shops do this when the day and dates align.. I seriously don't see any issue here..............

Different opinions I guess. Being a tattooer myself I see it as cheapening the craft.

Any other professional tattooers are free to agree or disagree with me. Sorry if I don't count customers as having as valid an opinion as a career tattooer does. No disrespect intented man, I'm not trying to insult anyone.

Different opinions I guess. Being a tattooer myself I see it as cheapening the craft. Any other professional tattooers are free to agree or disagree with me. Sorry if I don't count customers as having as valid an opinion as a career tattooer does. No disrespect intented man' date=' I'm not trying to insult anyone.[/quote']

I get it, no offense taken what so ever, not did I intend any.

I understand your point completely, I help run several family businesses, one a custom paint business that's approaching 30 years old, a mini storage that's approaching 10, and even more.

My point is while tattooing is a craft and art, like several businesses, at the end of the day it's still a business. It's become ultra competitive, and we discuss here regularly ppl don't always make the best choice in artists or shops.

I think it's pretty fucking rad that high quality tattooers give back to their customer base by doing kick ass mini tattoos once or twice a year.

I stand behind that these tattoos(from what I see, I don't tattoo for a living) regularly go to people who spend normal money throughout the year(s) on tattoos.

From talking to my artist and some at the same shop, they seem to enjoy having one of the newer tattooers bang out a flash sheet and banging out these mini tats. Having one very close friend who has been tattooing here in town for 17years, I do have some idea of what supplies cost.. This is a win win for shops and tattooers in the long run..

Anyways..

We've done a few at our shop... the first one was in the summer of 2012, and we had a decent volume of people, about half new and half repeat clients. Several of the new folks have since been back a few times, one of them every few months to add palm sized pieces here and there. The second one was this last October, and we were barely busier than a normal Friday. But, of the two of us doing them, there were only two or three people that weren't regular clients, and they came with someone who was. The first one was mainly to get new people in the door, and the second one was more to try and thank our customer base. In those goals, we seemed to be decently successful.

That being said, we don't intend to do them every Friday the 13th, because we'd prefer doing it as an occasional fun sort of thing, rather than a gimmick.

Different opinions I guess. Being a tattooer myself I see it as cheapening the craft.

Any other professional tattooers are free to agree or disagree with me. Sorry if I don't count customers as having as valid an opinion as a career tattooer does. No disrespect intented man, I'm not trying to insult anyone.

Lately I've seen the $13 on the 13th tattoos being offered in those shops that spring up in shopping malls.

Personally, anyone with tattoo smarts would pass up the deal as most shops have a $75-100 minimum, period. Like I said in an earlier post, it gives an apprentice some experience on something relatively small and thus harder to screw up.

Rob

I agree with Irezumi. A tattoo shop is not a McDonalds. Tattoos are not fast-food made to order and if you can't afford the shop rate, you can go elsewhere and get a shitty tattoo and pay even more to fix your shoddy work. You cannot put a price on a job well done.

Needless to say, we don't do Friday the 13th specials or anything like that. We don't need the riff-raff that these specials seem to attract in our shop.