How do these special tattoo days work?

sbhikes

a tradition in the tattooing community.

Ehhhh.. wouldn't go that far. I'd reword it, "a thing that has sprung up in the last ten years." Or "Tatty zapper party time!" Or "That day where you don't make money tattooing people who don't really want tattoos." Blame that party animal Pecker guy! :D

Ehhhh.. wouldn't go that far. I'd reword it' date=' "a thing that has sprung up in the last ten years." Or "Tatty zapper party time!" Or "That day where you don't make money tattooing people who don't really want tattoos." Blame that party animal Pecker guy! :D[/quote']

Regardless, many very reputable shops are doing this, I believe Elm St did them this go around, albeit at normal size and at normal rates.. Does the normal charge make it less gimmicky? Does Elm St doing it make it more acceptable or does it make them less creditable? Serious questions here, I'm still very green to tattoos and being tattooed and still trying to understand some things..

Regardless, many very reputable shops are doing this, I believe Elm St did them this go around, albeit at normal size and at normal rates.. Does the normal charge make it less gimmicky? Does Elm St doing it make it more acceptable or does it make them less creditable?

Yes, a focus on a subject for a certain day is the best way to play it.

Never go under the shop minimum.

Last shop I was at did a Jerry special for his birthday and picked a few classics. People got some nice designs but not below the minimum.

Whether or not it's Elm Street or any other shack doesn't have any bearing on the subject; if they still did $13 tattoos my opinion would still be the same.

Yes' date=' a focus on a subject for a certain day is the best way to play it. Never go under the shop minimum. Last shop I was at did a Jerry special for his birthday and picked a few classics. People got some nice designs but not below the minimum. Whether or not it's Elm Street or any other shack doesn't have any bearing on the subject; if they still did $13 tattoos my opinion would still be the same.[/quote']

Gotcha! I was kinda getting that vibe!

Like I say, I'm still learning. I try to understand what little I can from the outside, as sometimes I feel compelled to try and help others understand. I try to steer ppl here to the forums but a lot of ppl 'don't have time' or are uninterested in forums based on previous exp with them.

Any who, thanks for bearing with me!

In the summer, Saved did a lot of walk-in Sundays with pre-drawn flash. I wish I made it to some of them. Some of the days were based around holidays like Mother's Day and others were design-based like Mandalas and Skulls. They never advertised the price, and I'm not even sure if they were shop minimum just that they were small one-shots.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with Irezumi. A tattoo shop is not a McDonalds. Tattoos are not fast-food made to order and if you can't afford the shop rate, you can go elsewhere and get a shitty tattoo and pay even more to fix your shoddy work. You cannot put a price on a job well done.

Needless to say, we don't do Friday the 13th specials or anything like that. We don't need the riff-raff that these specials seem to attract in our shop.

Who said they woudnt be quality tattoos? Regardless of the price, the shop should still be doing GOOD, cool little tattoos. Line work is important with these little fun tattoos, and most importantly the design. Just cause they are cheap doesnt mean youre getting cheap effort and work.

Thats a terrible analogy with the McDonalds thing.

hobo's and congress st in portsmouth do this every friday the 13th, and they charge $31.

These shops are as reputable as a shop can be and they do it as a customer appreciation day. Must choose from specific flash, and though the tattoos are small, and done fairly quickly, they are solid as can be.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the way they handle it, though I have yet to take advantage of one of these days.

hobo's and congress st in portsmouth do this every friday the 13th, and they charge $31.

These shops are as reputable as a shop can be and they do it as a customer appreciation day. Must choose from specific flash, and though the tattoos are small, and done fairly quickly, they are solid as can be.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the way they handle it, though I have yet to take advantage of one of these days.

If they have nice flash to pick from, its a win-win for the customer and the shop. I like the $31 thing, the shop still covers the cost of the supplies.

Rob

If it's a legit shop with legit tattooists, who cares? It can bring in new customers and it's kind of fun.

Taylor Street in Chicago usually does Friday 13th, they're "$13 + $7 tip" and usually just line work, but they're fun. Nothing BAD. Same with Halloween, usually something. I've gotten a few and they're cool and done well. They also do "Traditional Tuesdays" were you can drop $50 and get a cool classic Rollo or Jerry (or other) designs. Name day, "Get what you get" ($50, gum ball machine with random flash, fun for everyone!)

I've also had larger work done there too so it's not like I'm a total cheap skate.

If all you want tattooed are large tattoo's in certain styles, yeah, not for you. If you love little jammers now and then, just make sure it's a good shop.

To me, it's a combo of just fun and a solid way to draw new people into your shop. So no harm, no fowl. I don't see it as something only "kitchen wizards" do or something to turn your nose up to. If a shop DOESN'T, good, that's their thing. Not for everyone. If you're a jaghole who calls every shop looking for a deal, screw off asshole. If it's not on their website, or FB, or Instagram, or whatever, don't go bugging hard working people with your shit.