Why are bad tattoos so popular?

sbhikes

I don't have a single letter on me. Not because of what i think about that form, but because i don't want people trying to "read" me, and lets be honest, they're hard to read unless you're up close. And that's my fucking personal space. An image (if done well) can be stared at from afar. And lets be honest again, people look whether it's rude or not.

I don't have a single letter on me. Not because of what i think about that form' date=' but because i don't want people trying to "read" me, and lets be honest, they're hard to read unless you're up close. And that's my fucking personal space. An image (if done well) can be stared at from afar. And lets be honest again, people look whether it's rude or not.[/quote']

Whenever I catch ppl I know or work with staring from a far I approach and ask if they'd like a closer look :)

I'd rather show and explain to someone who is genuinely curious then to them wonder wander into the realm of uneducated stereotypers.

I'm also big into guns, I carry a pistol, open carry(on my side in a holster) and do the same thing in regards to it.

The thing I hate about loads of text is when people are fairly covered with gorgeous tattoos and that block of text just breaks up the cohesiveness and looks like a gash between their other tattoos. If you're going to be covered, then forget the script and stick with solid imagery instead.

Couldnt agree more, a big block of edwardian script in the surrounded by good work is SUCH a shame.

well, then please refrain from throat punching me when I get my shoulders/upper back done and somewhere in there it says "it's not perfect but it's mine" amongst the flowers and butterflies.

But that's not like a paragraph of teeny text and it sounds like you're working it into the butterfly and flower tattoos.

And no punching people who get good tattoos from this gal!

None of us here are the greats or innovators of the art we love, even if we were judging others with like minded interests based on their use of slang is stupid as fuck... No if you use the word 'swag' you deserve to be throat punched.

Perhaps this is true, but from what I have seen most people here attempt to treat the art with respect. I can't imagine anyone here walking up to horiyoshi and yelling, "tat me up! I need to be sleevified bro!"

I think the people who typically use certain slang aren't treating it with that same respect, and that is what is being criticized more than anything.

Regardless, this is a safe place for sharing, and please forgive people for playing valley girl and poking fun.

I feel kind of bad about singling out paragraphs of text as being especially bad because I've seen good tattooers do them skillfully. It's a dumb idea, images are way better in almost every way, but that doesn't make large amounts of text automatically "bad tattoos".

Perhaps this is true' date=' but from what I have seen most people here attempt to treat the art with respect. I can't imagine anyone here walking up to horiyoshi and yelling, "tat me up! I need to be sleevified bro!"

I think the people who typically use certain slang aren't treating it with that same respect, and that is what is being criticized more than anything.

Regardless, this is a safe place for sharing, and please forgive people for playing valley girl and poking fun.[/quote']

Very very valid points bro! And I do agree!

The sleevified thing...do sometimes maybe people say stuff to be funny, not being serious? Cuz really, it sounds like something my husband and I would say. I can picture us saying "I'ma get me some sleevage" or something equally ridiculous, but saying it b/c it sounds funny. It sounds like White Goodman from Globo Gym. "lemme hit you with some knowledge. I'm about to get sleeviifed".

The text thing..I can see the point about huge blocks of words. Sometimes tho, maybe it's just me, it's hard to put what I want to say or how I feel into pictures, but words can get my imagination full speed ahead. Not all the time, just sometimes. Some of the things I like in text I think I will just have made into nice signs and hang them in the house, they don't all have to go on my body. Just the one is important to me, my way of trying to work on my body image and accept myself for who I am now, rather than agonizing that I don't look like I used to. And I've not quite figured out how to do it exactly b/c I don't want it flowing all over w/the flowers/butterflies. (and, it's a condensed version of a longer block of text from song lyrics, ha!)

I feel kind of bad about singling out paragraphs of text as being especially bad because I've seen good tattooers do them skillfully. It's a dumb idea, images are way better in almost every way, but that doesn't make large amounts of text automatically "bad tattoos".

Physically no, they wouldn't be bad tattoos. But, couldn't the case be made that text really isn't meant to be a tattoo in the first place?

I'm having trouble typing the point I am really trying to get at...just isn't working for me right now. I'll come back when I can figure out how to say it.

Ultimately, I think people get bad tattoos simply because they don't have the funds and your average person that may want a tattoo is uneducated about what would even be good. The more people that get educated the better and which is why LST is a such a great forum. I applaud the people that come on here asking questions or even just looking because your heading in the right direction. Of course though you have the people that will continue to get subpar work done and think it's the best sh*t since sliced bread but they're a lost cause and not even worth the time of day.

The thing I hate about loads of text is when people are fairly covered with gorgeous tattoos and that block of text just breaks up the cohesiveness and looks like a gash between their other tattoos. If you're going to be covered, then forget the script and stick with solid imagery instead.

If I have got that much to say, I'll hand out fkucing press releases... not a fan of reading someone else's library of gibberish that means only something to them.

Rob

Another reason they are popular is that people won't listen to good, freely given advice: http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-designs-books-flash/4414-do-you-like-these-tattoos.html

I was hoping he and his wife would be steered in a good direction after he asked for advice in the thread about color on dark skin, but apparently not, and instead of trying to figure out why other people think what he posted was bad when he though it was good he had to act like a douche and get banned. And now his very pretty wife is going to en up with a shitty tattoo when she doesn't have to.

I just realized that this is the same guy I just referenced in my last post. I feel bad for his wife (who is from the Dominican Republic in case you didn't know).

Haha. IF he has a wife. Just 'coz you know how to post a pic of a pretty lady and say she's your wife doesn't mean it necessarily is...

Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's a troll or not. In this case I could not tell.

Physically no, they wouldn't be bad tattoos. But, couldn't the case be made that text really isn't meant to be a tattoo in the first place?

I'm having trouble typing the point I am really trying to get at...just isn't working for me right now. I'll come back when I can figure out how to say it.

I think that text tattoos, like any other kind of tattoo, can be done well or it can be done poorly. I'm on my phone right now so I can't post a picture of it but a couple of days ago the Frith Street instagram posted a whole block of text that Stefano put on a guy's ribs and it looks great. Would it be cooler if the guy got some kind of image to represent those words instead? Probably, and I'm sure that possibility was talked about, but at the end of the day the guy wanted text and he got a tattoo that was clearly done with care and skill, and the dude who got it probably thinks it's the greatest thing in the world. That's good tattooing to me, whether or not it's something that I like or would personally get.