Why are bad tattoos so popular?

sbhikes

I have a few opinions about this topic. Now, mostly for lack of funds, I'm currently what would be so cleverly referred to as a plainskin, so perhaps my opinion does not matter. However, as a visual artist and someone who not only has a keen interest in body art but also has born witness to a number of both excellent and terrible tattoos, I'm going to voice my opinion anyway.

I honestly feel that the increasing popularity of bad art has more to do with the notion that having a tattoo somehow makes you a more interesting person. I find that there is a correlation between underdeveloped personalities and uncreative, overdone tattoos. I know too many girls who've overheard their crush saying that he thinks tattoos are hot and soon after show up with some flowers on their ribcage, or birds on their feet, or a cliche word or phrase across their wrist. Their interest is not in the tattoo itself, but in the response that having the tattoo will elicit. Of course, that mentality is not exclusive to the ladies, but you get what I mean.

I don't believe that there is anything outright wrong with script, but I do think that it is very easy for those tattoos to go awry. I have seen far more, in my opinion, bad text tattoos than good ones. That being said, I plan to work a quote from my favorite story into my first tattoo. I also plan for the script to stand beautifully as a whole, without having to know what it says. Is that uncreative? Maybe it is, but I'm also getting it to please myself, not to be creative.

It is my personal belief that a bad tattoo can often be traced back to the person getting it doing so to please other people. Still, I don't think that genuinely loving your tattoo makes it good either. Nothing makes me more angry than when people say that you can't judge a painting because anything is art. There are measurable elements and principles that must be in play in order to define something as being a work of art. Generally speaking, whether the artist is conscious of them or not, the more these elements and principles are being used, the more pleasing the work is to the eye, and if they aren't present at all, then it is not a work of art. The same goes for tattoos.

I don't personally like FUZI's stuff, but he's background as a graffiti artist and his style there helps me to 'understand' why his stuff looks the way it does. Many of my graffiti painting friends claim that they would get tattooed by him, and some of them are actually tattooers who understand and do what we here, think of as good tattooing. His background and the fact that a good portion of his clients probably are writers aswell, explains why he writes his one next to his tattoos.

I dunno -- not crazy about his graffiti either. I see better tags every day by the train tracks near my house.

Here's one that bothers me:

eab35226177411e3acce22000a9f15d8_7.jpg

This one was done at the Montreal convention over the weekend, and it's on a tattooer. Not a good one, mind you. I just don't understand it. It wasn't a matter of access because there were so many great tattooers working there over the weekend, and if you wanted traditional there were plenty of people who do great traditional who were taking walkups...Todd Noble, Chris Hold, Tim Pausinger, Scott Althen immediately come to mind, people like Phil Holt who maybe don't do traditional but who are fucking incredible seemed like they had time, and I'm sure there were plenty more people who could have done a great tattoo. Money? We're talking a convention here, not somebody's kitchen table, so it's not like this was a $30 tattoo. Never mind that a tattoo like that wouldn't be worth the money if it was free. That it's on a tattooer especially bothers me because a tattooer, of all people, should know better and should be seeking out tattoos from people who inspire them and who make them want to be better tattooers. I try to not let the tattoos other people get bother me and just try to get the best tattoos that I can because I love tattoos, but this shit just stinks.

@Graeme, that is just sad especially when the aforementioned people were taking walk ups. I try my best to educate people and friends without sounding like a total snob but sometimes it's just plain tuff. I got a buddy of mine that has like about 50 hrs + invested in a full arm sleeve in which the work is sub par at best. How do you go about telling them that it's A) Crap and B) Could of gotten a 100% better tattoo from someone else without hurting their feelings? It's extremely difficult especially when they think the world of it and that it is the best thing since sliced bread. Then when you tell them your opinion of the artist that they go to and recommend some solid people they blow up and go ape shit crazy. It's a lose lose situation and makes me not even want to waste my breath trying to help people make a better decision when it comes to something they are going to have on them for the rest of their life.

If the tattooer who got that isn't particularly skilled, is it really a surprise?

Honestly though... bummer, but oh well. Shit happens, learning happens. Bad tattoos happen, better tattoos happen. I think the responsibility lies on anyone getting tattooed as to what they will let someone put on their body. There are no excuses for doing a piss-poor job, but it's not like you can do much to stop someone from driving into a ditch.

Maybe we should all just get some LST-style business cards printed and just hand them out to people with bad tattoos, haha :p

I have a question for you guys. How should I pick an artist. I found what I think is a good shop. It is extremely clean and inviting. All the guys are nice, they asked me a lot of questions and made me feel welcome. The portfolios looked good to my eyes. Other than that, I am basically a tattoo novice. I have 2, but I am looking to get a half sleeve done in November. Please help me with what to look for when picking an artist so I don't get a bad tattoo. I am in northern Illinois and can pm where I am thinking of going if you want to see the online portfolio. Thanks guys

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

I stopped trying to help people who don't want to listen. If they come back and show off their sub-par work I just say "cool". I suggest artists to people who would do a good job of their tattoo based on the style they want, but they never listen. It's always "yeah but I want it this week" or "my buddy can hook me up". Why do people cheap out on tattoos of all things? Tattoos are one of the few things you can get that change your appearance permanently and give an outward impression of your personality and your taste, and you decide to go to the lowest bidder!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did all my research on my own, so I have a hard time feeling sorry for people who hate their tattoos, especially nowadays with the internet. No excuse!

If the tattooer who got that isn't particularly skilled, is it really a surprise?

Honestly though... bummer, but oh well. Shit happens, learning happens. Bad tattoos happen, better tattoos happen. I think the responsibility lies on anyone getting tattooed as to what they will let someone put on their body. There are no excuses for doing a piss-poor job, but it's not like you can do much to stop someone from driving into a ditch.

Maybe we should all just get some LST-style business cards printed and just hand them out to people with bad tattoos, haha :p

I don't know if it's a matter of skill. I have a friend who got his first tattoo over the weekend at the convention. He's wanted a tattoo for a while and I invited him along to the convention because it's a great place to look at tattoos and get a sense of what's out there and he went to the convention's website, followed links and went through portfolios, got a sense of what he liked stylewise, contacted artists he liked with his idea, and he ended up with a really rad tattoo from Bobby Tripp and had a great time. Fundamentally, he wanted a great tattoo and he understood, without any prompting, that getting great tattoos takes time and research and work. And I think that's rad.

I guess with that tattoo I posted what bothers me the most about it is that it really speaks to a lack of curiosity. Like if you love this tattooing thing so much, don't you want to learn as much as you can about it? Don't you want to get tattooed by people who are doing things that inspire you and make you want to be a better tattooer? Filip Leu is guesting at a shop a couple of blocks away from me right now and he's tattooing a bunch of tattooers who are already doing amazing tattoos but who are probably going to learn things from the experience that they're then going to bring to their tattooing so that they can do even better tattoos. That makes me excited. That's the kind of stuff that I love.

But yeah, I basically agree with you that you can't really force people to get good tattoos. They have to want it.

There's a bunch of folks who I'd let tattoo me that may not be on anyones list of "mindblowing" amazing, trend setting artists. But they're awesome people and the tattoo is just a permanent memory of that connection or time and place. Hell, my favorite tattoo was done by my daughter when she was 7.

I've sought out certain folks because of an artistic aspect as well but that's not always the motivation.

There's a time and place for everything and its a tough call to make when you're just an observer.

I'd also say that art might not be subjective, but if someone likes it or not, IS. I know plenty of folks that don't like basquiat. I'm not a fan of frida but I do like lots of folk art and crude imagery that most would discount as not being any good.

But then again I'd rather listen to darkthrone than iron maiden.

I have a question for you guys. How should I pick an artist. I found what I think is a good shop. It is extremely clean and inviting. All the guys are nice, they asked me a lot of questions and made me feel welcome. The portfolios looked good to my eyes. Other than that, I am basically a tattoo novice. I have 2, but I am looking to get a half sleeve done in November. Please help me with what to look for when picking an artist so I don't get a bad tattoo. I am in northern Illinois and can pm where I am thinking of going if you want to see the online portfolio. Thanks guys

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

Check out this article if you still have any questions about what to look for in a portfolio: http://www.tattooartistmagazingblog.com/2011/08/11/guen-douglas-how-to-properly-examine-a-tattoo-portfolio/

But if everyone at the shop's work looks good to you, I guess all that's left is whose personality and style you mesh best with cause you guys are going to be spending a good chunk of time together. I'd like to check our their stuff if you'd mind posting a link.

@Graeme That is an awesome piece, props to your friend!! And sadly, not all tattooers care to learn as much about tattooing as they possibly can. I totally relate to your sentiments and it also frustrates me. As @JAllen was saying, we can never really know anyone's reason behind getting a tattoo. And truly, I think a lot of people are totally satisfied with mediocrity. Ohhh well :cool:

Check out this article if you still have any questions about what to look for in a portfolio: http://www.tattooartistmagazingblog.com/2011/08/11/guen-douglas-how-to-properly-examine-a-tattoo-portfolio/

But if everyone at the shop's work looks good to you, I guess all that's left is whose personality and style you mesh best with cause you guys are going to be spending a good chunk of time together. I'd like to check our their stuff if you'd mind posting a link.

@Graeme That is an awesome piece, props to your friend!! And sadly, not all tattooers care to learn as much about tattooing as they possibly can. I totally relate to your sentiments and it also frustrates me. As @JAllen was saying, we can never really know anyone's reason behind getting a tattoo. And truly, I think a lot of people are totally satisfied with mediocrity. Ohhh well :cool:

Tried sending a PM to you but your mailbox is full

• 1 month later...
Really do you think it is TV? I have never seen a tattoo reality show on TV. What channel is it on?

yay!!*high 5* me either!!! I was starting to think I was the only one in the world :)

- - - Updated - - -

Society lacks the esoteric connections with totems. Its out of a nacissitic desire to feel like they are some how expressing real thoughts or ideas by putting it on their body. Seldom have I done lettering of large quantity on someone who was say..a person who was really into books and felt a connection to the dialog of a novel or the linguistic appeal of ones writing style. Its usually just a clever quote they saw on social media or a song lyric that they want to mean something but have never even purchased an album by the person/band. Looking for logic in mainstream culture is an exercise in futility. It is however easier to recognize those who know what's cool and those who are just riding the current trend.

this reminds me also of people who wear band shirts but have yet to hear the music. or can only name 3 of their hit titles that any window licker could point out - ...