Why are bad tattoos so popular?

sbhikes

I mean unless you're decked out in the best, perfectly executed ink done by the master of all tattooing on the entire planet, aren't you in a way, wearing shitty tattoos as well in comparison to what those perfect tattoos would be? Does that make them any less awesome to you? Didn't think so.

Is there truly such a thing as a universally accepted perfectly executed tattoo by a best artist, etc.?

No.

And no, we're not "in a a way" wearing shitting tattoos using this comparison that has odd criteria.

What does "perfectly executed" mean to you? To others?

Who is the master of all tattooing? To you? To others?

@Mick Weder mused above about shitty tattoos on his brother that had great meaning. Are they shitty? To you? To others?

/end list of rhetorical questions

Argh.

/end postingB4coffee

Is there truly such a thing as a universally accepted perfectly executed tattoo by a best artist, etc.?

No.

And no, we're not "in a a way" wearing shitting tattoos using this comparison that has odd criteria.

What does "perfectly executed" mean to you? To others?

Who is the master of all tattooing? To you? To others?

@Mick Weder mused above about shitty tattoos on his brother that had great meaning. Are they shitty? To you? To others?

/end list of rhetorical questions

Argh.

/end postingB4coffee

That's pretty much my point though, it's all based on opinions and perspective. A shitty tattoo to you might be a great tattoo to the wearer and on the opposite end, a tattoo you might consider to be perfect, some other person might think is terrible. It really doesn't matter and I don't really get why people fuss over other people's taste in tattoos.

I get when people get pissed off at shops/artists who crank out horrible stuff non-stop every day, that's totally justified, the quality sucks... but to knock people for their taste in tattoos is pretty stupid and self centered. I'm not a fan of american traditional but I wouldn't sit there and talk shit about some dude's eagle/panther/dagger/skull/othergeneric7thyearolddrawing, I know a lot of people love that shit and it's been around for a very long time.

Respect other people's choices & tastes.

• 5 weeks later...

My 2d's worth (in no order):

I have my tattoos on pinterest, it was one place at the time where I could put the images up for my online friends to see. But, I do know the ones you talk about when you mention this. Some of them I do like, but coming from a crafter's point of view. They would work for sewing or for hand drawn decoupage ideas. In regards to text tattoos, mine were just drawn freehand by the tattooist at the time. Personally, I wouldn't want a "wall of text" on me, but who am I to judge if someone does? Some "walls of text" look amazing, others look shite. Same with imagery, swings and roundabouts. As for reality shows, I've never watched one, until a co-worker told me about on that was shown on E4 called Tattoo After Dark, or something like that. And yes, it was the first time I ever watched one and it will be the last. I'll never get that hour back. In regards to those that said about "Going to get inked" and it irking you. Here it is slang, and accepted slang. Fellow tattooed people come up to me and say "Cool ink, etc" and I comment on others saying the same. Tattooists say it too. Different slang in different parts of the world. For example, if I was to say "I'm off for a fag", here it means "I'm going for a smoke" (I don't smoke anymore). But Stateside the word "fag" means something else, whereas here it's slang for a cigarette. As to the meaning vs no meaning, all my tattoos have meaning. It's just how it worked out, some have double meanings. The ones I tell people if they ask, and the hidden meaning. I've been getting tattooed on and off for 15 years now, it's just me. Nothing against those who get tattooed with no meaning, that's not the point of getting tattooed. Every tattoo doesn't have to have meaning behind it, as I've said. It's just how it's worked out with me. I've always waited at least 3 years before getting mine done, but I have a big back-log of work I want done. Because I couldn't get tattooed for a few years (various reasons). My mind has gone into overdrive, remembering what I had stored away to get done, plus my tattooist asking me to think about filer work hasn't helped matters! But, it's all good. I've had non-tattooed people say that tattoos aren't for them, but they appreciate the art work in it. One of my friends called me a "walking sketchbook" lol I don't think I'm that far yet, but I am working towards it. I think that's everything I wanted to comment on/say. Only had one cuppa today so far, so might have missed something.

Different slang in different parts of the world. For example, if I was to say "I'm off for a fag", here it means "I'm going for a smoke" (I don't smoke anymore). But Stateside the word "fag" means something else, whereas here it's slang for a cigarette.

Fag used to mean cigarette in the US about 40-50 years ago, at least in the Midwest FWIW.

@SeeSea okay, remember those words...

Fanny pack is slang for what a woman erm, uses during that time of month. "Need to get fanny pack" is slang for "Need some tampax etc" You did give me the green light. It's another thing that always makes me snigger esp when see a show/film from stateside and they say "It's in my fanny pack" makes me snigger every time. I don't know if it's slang for rest of UK/Ireland but it is here.

i'm certainly a fan of bad tattoos - in some cases the more the better

now - few things - i'm not into offensive art which is obviously pretty subjective

and i hesitate to give example of where my lines are on that issue

but i like the fun weird cool poorly executed stuff - i just do

i do think they look better on heavily tattooed people

also it helps to have a healthy amount of well executed work

anyway

One of my friends is heavily tattooed, he's got some tattoos that some would consider "bad". They're drawings his children did and he loved them that much he got them tattooed. They're fun and cute :) They do work well as fillers in amongst his other work. They're not poorly executed, but they do look child-like, because well they are.

Fanny is another funny one. Arse in the US and female genitalia in the UK...

LST has a Pinterest account, as I'm sure you all know. It's rather nice.

- - - Updated - - -

(erm, sorry, totally off topic there :rolleyes:)

That led to an incredibly unfortunate incident between me and a gal from Manchester when I was in the UK.

Totally misunderstood what she was asking me to do. Can't say I'm not good for a laugh though.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm planning to get a tattoo that combines a few lines from "Hamlet" along with a southern magnolia flower. It combines a flower that I've loved since my childhood and a few lines of my favorite literary piece. Is it "basic" or "lame"? Probably. But I feel like the idea is very grounding, and right now that is not only comforting, but liberating.

The only tattoos that really bother me are the little black birds and the infinity tattoos. I find it hard to believe that most people can make a connection to "Divergent" or "The Fault in Our Stars."

Makes me laugh to think about people getting ambiguous words tattooed. something like "BK" could go one of five ways

Celebrities aren't helping shit by being as dumb as they are. Wish I had a link to the story, but theres this italian scratcher whos tattooed mad celebrities for mad expensive with absolute garbage. Bullshits ignorant philosophies and generally raises my hackles. Feel like most shit tattoos are basically people that dont "get it" and are tryna look like they do.

note: peeped the word "entitled" being used to defend a persons tattoos... so...

My worst tattoo -- going to a charity event, but I didn't much like anything on the sheet. Yeah I shoulda dipped, lesson learned, but it was a "cant afford anything huge and rad so tiny and dumb is chill" deals. So I just told my girl to pick. Still like it, dont regret it, but its admittedly a shit tattoo and I ain't gonna do that again. Was 18 in a childish rush for coverage.