Why are bad tattoos so popular?

sbhikes

I'm with SStu. I figure most of the people out there are just like they were in say the 50s, just full of more BS. The level of artistic talent has sky rocketed of course, and people find there way to the people who are good. And then there are bums. It seems to me like there is almost a strata of person for the strata of artist. The Paul Rogers "pyramid" for both clients and artists.

Lettering? I despise lettering that isn't pithy. Now if it's fun, that's a whole different colored horse. Once I put Hebrew script ("Thou shall not...," Ringing in my ears) on a Cuban woman who was Catholic and couldn't remember what the script meant. She had to get her friend to look it up on her phone to tell me.

And then right at the end of the tattoo I got a big rip in my jeans.

You can't expect people to have high taste.

I dunno either, what about DeVita? You look at and go, "Holy crap that's good!"

And it's missing part of the lining.

The only tattoos that really bother me are the little black birds and the infinity tattoos. I find it hard to believe that most people can make a connection to "Divergent" or "The Fault in Our Stars."

Yeah, those bother me too, along with "breathe", especially on the wrist or forearm. I mean, come on, you can do better than that. There are so many other, more original ways to get the same "ok, calm down, relax" message across without resorting to that particular, overused word.

For me, I've considered getting bits of text tattooed on myself because I find a lot of beauty in words, if they're used right. "Too weird to live, too rare to die", for example, really resonates with me...it really makes me FEEL. Not that pictures don't - I love picture tattoos - but sometimes the right words just really get to me, you know?

I have one tattoo (well, really two, split between my wrists) that reads "Transit umbra / Lux remanet". It's a quote from a sundial, and it means "shadow passes / light remains". That was my first (and, as of now, only) tattoo, and it has personal meaning to me. As for why it's in Latin, well, Latin's just a lot cooler than English.

I really think some people simply lack the creative vision,... Then some have such an extensive imagination they want to hear where other peoples imaginations go with the quoted text... or it could just be the love for type of text... beauty is in the eye of the beholder

- - - Updated - - -

personally, I prefer no text, less chance for racial discrimination. especially if you enjoy traveling, really traveling

@sweetling

kind of strange for someone with a wrist-text tattoo to be admonishing another person for a wrist-text tattoo, no? I'm sure many of those people with (admittedly cheesy) text tattoos feel the same way about words as you do. They likely also had a "very personal" reason for getting the tattoo...

@ShyGypsy

what do you mean about not getting a text tattoo to prevent racial discrimination while traveling? This is a very weird statement to me.

Edited by 9Years
Trying to figure out quote function

Some people might have them here, so don't take this personally but I can't stand tattoos of people with tattoos, just something about them makes me cringe

Really? I don't have any, yet, but I love tattoos with tattoos. When they're done well I think they look awesome, but I'm curious how the tiny blue tattoos hold up over time. Different strokes, and all that.

@sweetling

kind of strange for someone with a wrist-text tattoo to be admonishing another person for a wrist-text tattoo, no? I'm sure many of those people with (admittedly cheesy) text tattoos feel the same way about words as you do. They likely also had a "very personal" reason for getting the tattoo...

I wasn't insinuating that people with "breathe" tattoos and the like don't have them for personal reasons. I'm saying that at this point they're kinda cringeworthy now that they're all over the Internet and everyone and their dog has one.

Really? I don't have any, yet, but I love tattoos with tattoos. When they're done well I think they look awesome, but I'm curious how the tiny blue tattoos hold up over time. Different strokes, and all that.

Its more the barbers with crosses on their faces and things like that that annoy me, or when people get a tattoo that looks like themselves with tattoos on it,

a lot of cultures, do not like the US.... Canada and Mexico are way more acceptable to the rest of the world... so depending on the language used in a the quoted text, it really shows what part of the world you are from.

- - - Updated - - -

so its really a culture discrimination

@ShyGypsy

I'm still not sure how the language used in the text would clue someone in to where you're from unless the tattoo says so explicitly.

Let's say youre standing in line with an American, Canadian, Australian, Brit, New Zealander, South African etc etc etc and they all have tattoos with text (in English). Without talking to them can you tell where each is from?

Pretty sure this is a non-issue.

true, but these are all English cultures youre describing, and yes their can still be issues, which most people don't care to talk about, its just a life style. just a personal perspective... really I agree with expressing emotion/creative energy, visually; It can speak every language.

- - - Updated - - -

really what gives away the region are the words used. different cultures have different spellings and meanings for words commonly used in American English

Edited by ShyGypsy
type o

obviously, you are not a well cultured person.... I will say this one last time and if you still don't under stand then what ever, I cant make you see my point of view with words...

different reigns have different meanings for words and different spellings, it dosnt matter if you are using an English style alphabet. the way the words are used and spelt can tell you where a person is from.... I can see how you might get confused with religion as that has broke the language border with age

kind of figured some one who has been tattooing for 9 yrs would be able to see that, but im not here to restructure your brain

Speaking of cultural misunderstandings, joining this board and insulting a longtime contributor isn't the done thing around here.

- - - Updated - - -

Ashley Love's chubby pinups with tattoos are one of my favorite things.

obviously, you are not a well cultured person.... I will say this one last time and if you still don't under stand then what ever, I cant make you see my point of view with words...

different reigns have different meanings for words and different spellings, it dosnt matter if you are using an English style alphabet. the way the words are used and spelt can tell you where a person is from.... I can see how you might get confused with religion as that has broke the language border with age

kind of figured some one who has been tattooing for 9 yrs would be able to see that, but im not here to restructure your brain

Hmm, while I've never been accused of being 'cultured' I have had the good fortune of traveling a LOT over the years. This isn't really even worth responding to, but it chaps me when people just toss out mis-information disguised as a truism. Unless you're going somewhere really heavy, you won't be discriminated against simply for having an english word tattooed on you no matter how it is "spelt". And if you're going somewhere that heavy it's likely you'll draw some heat, tattoos or not.

In my non-cultured opinion if you're looking for in-depth discussion your approach might be a bit off.

And for the record, I don't tattoo. Not sure where you got that.

Edited by 9Years
punctuation

I don't even know who that is ^ but the fact that the nerdy lookin white dude has a BET☆ tattoo really cracks me up. Not in a "laughing with him" kind of way though.

If you really want a good laugh His 'Rap' name is Riff Raff. If you watch an interview of him its the most hilarious thing make fun of. Being a huge hip Hop head this guy (and many like him) give the genre a bad name and look (IMO).

Sorry for Making your eyes/ ears bleed...

I don't have any tattoos with tattoos but I have a couple of tattoos with some very small, very detailed bits. On the book I have on my arm, Seth Wood tattooed in a tiny little Baphomet on one of the pages. You can cover it with a quarter. It's super crisp a couple of years in, and I'll let you know how it ages. I'm sure it'll get all blown out eventually, like all tattoos will. As I see it, the really tiny stuff I have is all a bonus to enjoy for however many years it'll last, but the overall strength of the tattoo wouldn't be compromised by losing that detail.