Why are bad tattoos so popular?

sbhikes

You can, but I will still add that typographical tattoos aren't necessarily bad ones either. Stephanie Tamez being an example of somebody who has done pretty spectacular large scale type-based tattoos.

In this case does "typographical" refer to lettering that is stylistically made to look like type? I've seen some that looks good, but I've always gotten the impression that it was hand drawn in order to look like a type font yet still sit well on the body. The majority of the text that I see that looks awful is clearly just printed straight from MS Word and tattooed on as is.

In this case does "typographical" refer to lettering that is stylistically made to look like type? I've seen some that looks good, but I've always gotten the impression that it was hand drawn in order to look like a type font yet still sit well on the body. The majority of the text that I see that looks awful is clearly just printed straight from MS Word and tattooed on as is.

Yeah probably. I think my point is basically that there are a lot of things that can be made into good tattoos as long as you go to a good artist and take his or her advice on the tattoo.

I think a big issue is people trying hard to be unique. So instead of considering if something will last or look good on skin, they just want something "artistic" and "one of a kind" and get all hung up on that and it ends up being stupid. I hate HATE HATE the new fad of tattoos that look like screen prints or stamps, like big ones that look like they've been stamped on someone at an askewed angle. I'll try to find an example. Yes, I give credit to the tattooer, it takes some serious skill, but ugh. It looks dumb to me. Just my opinion though. I always wonder "how will that thing look when you're 70?" and realize I sound like people who ask me that shit. But mine will look cool as fuck when I'm 70 because they're well designed. SNOB ALERT WHOOP!

Oh god. I've met this douche before; he has his head so far up his own ass its unbelievable. A few years ago a regional southern living for young people magazine based in Savannah did a spotlight on a few local tattoo shops with little quickie interviews. This pompous prick had the gall to say that he is the best tattoo artist in Savannah. Went on to say that all the other artists in town were hacks and junkies.

On a rock poster forum (where as far as he knows he's the only tattooer on there) he showed a before and after pic of a tattoo he went over to 'fix' it; which was basically where he blasted white on top of some shitty line work and shading. Good job man, that will hold up well over time.

He can eat a dick and I would say the same thing to him myself if we were in the same room at the same time. Whatever this asshole has to say means little to nothing to me or any of the accomplished tattooers in Savannah.

If he thinks there have been no gallery openings that focus on text or lettering he is oblivious to talented artists such as Chaz, Big Sleeps, Retna, Defer2, Steve Powers, Seen, etc. that list could go for an entire page.

Sorry Shawn, nothing personal or against what you do on your blog; I have always enjoyed it before and will continue to.

So here is my two cents. There are bad tattoos everywhere you look. At least they look bad to me. Here is my idea of what a bad tattoo is...... Poorly executed (blurred lines, poor shading). The I have no imagination (another butterfly on an ankle, more hipster lettering) The other thing I hate is grosse and evil tattoos. A tattoo can be very dark but not offensive. Would you want a devil arm in your daughters wedding photos? How about zombies covered in blood and flesh front and center at a public family event? Don't get me wrong some of the evil and grose work out there is amazing I just wish people would place them in more appropriate places. I don't let me niece and nephews watch horror films at there ages and I should have to have them subject to those kind of images at the local super market either.

So here is my two cents. There are bad tattoos everywhere you look. At least they look bad to me. Here is my idea of what a bad tattoo is...... Poorly executed (blurred lines, poor shading). The I have no imagination (another butterfly on an ankle, more hipster lettering) The other thing I hate is grosse and evil tattoos. A tattoo can be very dark but not offensive. Would you want a devil arm in your daughters wedding photos? How about zombies covered in blood and flesh front and center at a public family event? Don't get me wrong some of the evil and grose work out there is amazing I just wish people would place them in more appropriate places. I don't let me niece and nephews watch horror films at there ages and I should have to have them subject to those kind of images at the local super market either.

Most kids LOVE evil shit like that, I have met kids who dont give a monkeys about any of my tattoos except the skulls and the severed heads. Kids arent as delicate as you think!

I don't have children so I'm only speculating here, but if I had a daughter and she was getting married, I'd like to think that I'd wear a shirt and pants to her wedding.

I don't have children so I'm only speculating here, but if I had a daughter and she was getting married, I'd like to think that I'd wear a shirt and pants to her wedding.

Who knows, you may change your mind. Let's set up a mock wedding between your animals at the park just to make sure you don't show up in your birthday suit.

I will always remember a quote a friend who is heavily tattooed and also has been tattooing close to 40 years said to me (and I agree 500%)

He said: "I liked it a lot better when I was considered socially unacceptable to the socially unacceptable!"

Pleas don't get me wrong....I am not being nasty or anything.....

I could give a rats ass what others think of my tattoos in public and if they taught their children properly not to stare at people who were different like I taught my kids.....then they wouldn't have to worry about the fact that I have an old shriveled up penis with a peg leg and prickly balls tattooed on the outside of my upper right arm!

I get tattooed for myself and no one else and if the public feels what I have is too profane for them or their children to look at then they don't have to look! ;)

I don't get it. Why would you get a tattoo that didn't offend someone, especially uptight people at the supermarket.

When I think of the number of ways @Graeme and I will inevitably embarrass our hypothetical children, our tattoos seem pretty low on the list.

My husband and I have actually discussed ways to embarrass them...our son is a little too young right now but our daughter is about the age where stuff starts to matter more...so I'm thinking if she and her friends saw me being silly at my preschool, making the kids laugh by hopping from foot to foot, scratching my armpits and hooting like a monkey she's going to be quite unthrilled with me. I'm the most heavily tattooed in our district, and most of those kids have seen me since she was in Kindergarten, so they're used to my tattoos..and really, you'd think they'd be used to me enough to remember that I hopped and hooted around for them too.

As far as tattoos in family portraits or at social/family events...they're a part of *me*, I dig tattoos, I dig tattooed guys. I find it sexy to see tattoos poking out of shirt sleeves or just clothes in general. We're a tattooed family, so tattoos showing in photos goes with the territory. If JD is walking London down the aisle when she gets married and she's super casual so it's short sleeved dress shirts, the tattoos on her daddy's arm will show, and there's no reason to be embarrassed by that, and if she's super against tattoos when she gets older, then that's something *she* would need to deal with. It's not up to me to make everything about myself un offensive for everyone else. Beside the fact that it's impossible.

I was not trying to say that tattoos should never be seen...far from it. Between my husband and myself all of our tattoos are very much visible. What I was trying to state (very poorly) I suppose is that the subject matter of the tattoo and the location on your body should be taken into consideration. I am all for going against the grain and getting art on your skin that speeks to yourself and personality. I personally am not offended at all but what people put on themselves. I figure that even if I don't perhaps like it I'm not the one who has to wear it for the rest of my life so all the power to them. What I am trying to get at is that when getting a tattoo I feel the people should consider that it may offend the people around them, and for the sake of politeness should perhaps place the potentially offensive piece in a place that can be covered when the need arises. I have plans in the works right now for a piece that may be considered inappropriate by some people so I am planning to put it on my upper thigh so I can cover it easily if the situation calls for it.

Ah, gotcha. I think some that would get something that could be construed as offensive, like say a big ole swastika or Hitler is King or something, would be more apt (pupil get it hahaha) to put it someplace visible for that exact reason-they're not going to be the ones that think about it. I'm not easily offended, so now I'm really interested (nosy, my husband says) to know what you're thinking about getting!

Ah, gotcha. I think some that would get something that could be construed as offensive, like say a big ole swastika or Hitler is King or something, would be more apt (pupil get it hahaha) to put it someplace visible for that exact reason-they're not going to be the ones that think about it. I'm not easily offended, so now I'm really interested (nosy, my husband says) to know what you're thinking about getting!

To be honest it is nothing too crazy. I want to get a pin up. I live in a fairly conservative area and I have a job where tattoos are ok if they are very small and "office appropriate". The problem is that the summers get very hot here so I can't wear long sleeves and pants all summer that's why on the thigh. I can't wear anything short enough to show her off at work so she will always be covered. We have a large senior population here.

Maybe everyone (the general public) can just loosen up and not be offended by things that aren't hateful or hurtful...

Like.. honestly? Why are dicks even offensive in the first place? If you are offended by nature, maybe that's a personal problem.

Sorry this made me laugh because so many dicks are already walking around the streets so why should people be offended by drawings of them?

If I see a tattoo of a genital/s on someone it's a way for me to know they're automatically cool as shit.

I have some boobs, but they're on my upper arm. I do work with other's kids sometimes. My kid and her close friends/their parents, don't care though. The state of IL and the school MIGHT. But when she's older and out of pre-school, who knows!? Boobs, balls, wangs, va-jay-jays, go nuts!