Why are bad tattoos so popular?

sbhikes

Wait a sec... Are we talking about random tattoos that appear to be genitals or tattoos that are genitals? The reason I'm asking is because I thought I saw a vagina yesterday but it was apparently a rose... APPARENTLY! It was definitely a vagina inspired rose at the very least.

Shunga.

Crystal Morey Talks to Dan Sinnes About His Genital Genius | TAM Blog

It couldn't possibly matter if you had done the tattoo a thousand times this year alone and shared that same information with a client.....they still can find a way to make it acceptable for them to have this same image. I can understand wanting a small tattoo to get your feet wet, to see what it is all about before committing to large scale work but why would you want such a foolish thoughtless image?

People seem so afraid of flash, yet these timeless designs get passed up for the latest pintrest favorites. I'll keep encouraging my clients to use thought and open their eyes to the possibilities, for those who choose not to listen well I have no choice but to execute a clean tattoo and keep taking your money. A fad like any other will come to an end. Tribal, nautical stars, iron crosses, all came and went and "this too shall pass" ha.

Errr, it was a bit more than just the colour lol. some really suspicious shading was happening . My phone camera is broken so I couldn't take a pic

I was at a fireworks show some years back at Jones Beach, a Grucci show in fact. Before each show, they send up a test shot, to judge the wind, etc. Well, they let this one loose, looked startling like the "pink persuader". Me and my wife looked at each other and cracked up. Guess you hadda been there...

Rob

Bad tattoos are popular because, generally speaking, you can get them for cheap.

For instance, there is a shop here in San Diego that advertises a "tap-out special" for $400. This means you can book the "artist" all day or for as long as you can take the pain for $400. Now, I have never stepped foot in this shop (nor would I), but I see the tattoos from the shop that are included in the ad and they are....well, it looks like something you might get at a "tap-out" tattoo shop.

Sad.

Excluding blatant work of scratchers, art is subjective in any form, tattoos included, always has been, always will be.

No, art is not and has never been subjective, and when people say that I can only conclude that they don't know anything about art, haven't spent much time studying it and thinking about it, and that they don't really care about art either. Saying that "all art is subjective" is an admission of ignorance.

No' date=' art is not and has never been subjective, and when people say that I can only conclude that they don't know anything about art, haven't spent much time studying it and thinking about it, and that they don't really care about art either. Saying that "all art is subjective" is an admission of ignorance.[/quote']

Art is absolutely subjective and to say otherwise is not only ignorant it's arrogant..

Saying that is like saying only redheads are beautiful or only blondes are beautiful..

Get real, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

So in your opinion only what you think is art is art? No ones opinion matters but yours? Cause it sure sounds like that's what you're saying and everyone should think the same things are art or aren't art?

Please..

No, this has nothing to do with what I think or like, and everything to do with the understanding that all art forms have limits, conventions, techniques, histories, people who have excelled with that medium, pushed boundaries, developed new understandings of it, etc. This is as true of tattoos as it is of photography, of oil painting, of heavy metal, or of any other art form you can think of and to just instead say that it's all subjective is lazy. I'd also say that this attitude that everything is the same as everything else and all that matters is that you like it/it's meaningful to you is a big reason why people get shitty tattoos.

If art was truly subjective, critics wouldn't have a job, Vasari's work as a painter would be as respected as Michelangelo's, and the lady selling kitten shrinky dinks at the flea market would exhibit with Pollock, Rembrandt, and Hirst.

That being said, those shrinky dinks might have a bit more technical appeal than some of Pollock's work, or Hirst's spin paintings.

If art was truly subjective' date=' critics wouldn't have a job, Vasari's work as a painter would be as respected as Michelangelo's, and the lady selling kitten shrinky dinks at the flea market would exhibit with Pollock, Rembrandt, and Hirst.

That being said, those shrinky dinks might have a bit more technical appeal than some of Pollock's work, or Hirst's spin paintings.[/quote']

Because I ALWAYS agree critics.. They never give the thumbs up to a bad movie or thumbs down to a great movie.. <Insert art form of choice>

I'm not referring to pop culture film critics, necessarily. Their job is just to move papers, get web hits, or draw television numbers. I'm speaking more towards criticism of fine art. If you look back, the names that have lasted have done so generally because their work was downright better than the works of others. Just like Ed Hardy was a far better tattooer than Royboy, Michelangelo was absolutely a better painter than Vasari. Hence, Vasari is known for his chronicling the history of art in his time and before, and Royboy is known for being a colorful character, rather than an amazing tattooer.

I'm not saying that all opinions, especially contemporary opinions to the work being discussed, are unanimous. However, like I said before, it is an uninformed idea to say that any and all art forms are 100% subjective.

I'm not referring to film critics' date=' necessarily. Their job is just to move papers, get web hits, or draw television numbers. I'm speaking more towards criticism of fine art. If you look back, the names that have lasted have done so generally because their work was downright better than the works of others. Just like Ed Hardy was a far better tattooer than Royboy, Michelangelo was absolutely a better painter than Vasari. Hence, Vasari is known for his chronicling the history of art in his time and before, and Royboy is known for being a colorful character, rather than an amazing tattooer.

I'm not saying that all opinions, especially contemporary opinions to the work being discussed, are unanimous. However, like I said before, it is an uninformed idea to say that any and all art forms are 100% subjective.[/quote']

I agree with this 100%

I got a sailor Jerry design last Sunday and like traditional tattoo designs.. I also like some newer style stuff like my artists wife does although her work may never become timeless etc etc its still great work and she is still a very talented artist IMO.

Of course art is subjective -- up to a point. But there's an objective aspect as well that has to do with technique and mastery of craft. General consensus has something to do with it, as does staying power -- works that stay relevant through the ages. Critics have their place in society too. The good ones can deepen our appreciation and understanding. They know their history, can provide context, etc. I think all that goes without saying, but here I am, saying it.

Back to tattoos. I very much dislike this stuff: Tattoo - Fuzi UVTPK and here's a particularly bad example: ta23.jpg

Like, I "get" it. He's trying to be "naive" and outsider-y. This isn't just some scratcher I'm bashing; he's a well-known guy who commands a high price, is sought after by celebrities, etc. Now look at @embers gem from Bryan Burk: bryanburk2.jpg That is objectively better and you need not be a critic to see it, just a pair of functioning eyes. End rant.

Of course art is subjective -- up to a point. But there's an objective aspect as well that has to do with technique and mastery of craft. General consensus has something to do with it' date=' as does staying power -- works that stay relevant through the ages. Critics have their place in society too. The good ones can deepen our appreciation and understanding. They know their history, can provide context, etc. I think all that goes without saying, but here I am, saying it.

Back to tattoos. I very much dislike this stuff: Tattoo - Fuzi UVTPK and here's a particularly bad example: [/url]

Like, I "get" it. He's trying to be "naive" and outsider-y. This isn't just some scratcher I'm bashing; he's a well-known guy who commands a high price, is sought after by celebrities, etc. Now look at @embers gem from Bryan Burk: That is objectively better and you need not be a critic to see it, just a pair of functioning eyes. End rant.

Agreed.. The first pic looks as though he is trying to reinvent the wheel.. I can see why it would appeal to some ppl but I'd prefer the second one personally.

FUZI is a great example of popular bad tattoos. I think I wouldn't hate that guy so much if he didn't charge up the ass and put his name in his pieces. I mean, fucking seriously? Way to claim ownership of someone's body who you'll probably never see again. Glad that they could be such a solid stepping stone, bro.

Agreed.. The first pic looks as though he is trying to reinvent the wheel.. I can see why it would appeal to some ppl but I'd prefer the second one personally.

Ha-ha. I don't think he's trying to reinvent the wheel as much as he's saying, "Aw, man. It's too hard to learn how to carve this thing until it's round. Maybe I can just charge twice as much and say it's punk rock to have fucked-up, bumpy wheels that don't roil."

Ha-ha. I don't think he's trying to reinvent the wheel as much as he's saying' date=' "Aw, man. It's too hard to learn how to carve this thing until it's round. Maybe I can just charge twice as much and say it's punk rock to have fucked-up, bumpy wheels that don't roil."[/quote']

Hahaha see my last comment^^

Sadly I made the first w/o using the link.. Dudes a hack.. The tattoos in that link suck, flat out.

I don't personally like FUZI's stuff, but he's background as a graffiti artist and his style there helps me to 'understand' why his stuff looks the way it does. Many of my graffiti painting friends claim that they would get tattooed by him, and some of them are actually tattooers who understand and do what we here, think of as good tattooing. His background and the fact that a good portion of his clients probably are writers aswell, explains why he writes his one next to his tattoos.