Greetings From C-Bus

blujax01

I searched several forums and think this may be "the one". Members appear to be respectful and the mods take no B.S. Good stuff...

Anyway, I am older and thought that my days of getting tattooed were over. I collected a decent half-dozen pieces in the 90's, both locally and at shows. Then Life Got In The Way. Fast forward to last year and my daughter (26) announced that she was getting her first ink and had put down a deposit. She and her girlfriends were all going together after the Christmas bills settled down...then it became after they got their tax returns...then they all chickened out. She was disappointed that she would have to go it alone. Before I could stop myself I blurted out: "What the Hell, I'll go with you." My daughter is very excited that we're having a Father/Daughter tattoo day (alas, I searched in vain all day and no, Hallmark doesn't have a card for that) and she said she'll take care of the arrangements.

A week later, I get an email with the date and time of our appointments. Now I had to decide what exactly I wanted. I'm a true believer in the 2nd amendment so I had the idea to have the ancient Greek symbols for "Molon Labe" (Come and Take It) tattooed on my forearm. One thing led to another and, well - HERE I GO AGAIN!!!

Dustin at Fate Tattoo on High Street (OSU campus) did the work on April 14 in about 2 1/2 hours. A couple of places scabbed pretty good - His technique? My old skin? Who knows? and I go in for a cleanup next week. All-in-all, decent work for $300, eh?

IMG_0741_zpsaa89738e.jpg

I searched several forums and think this may be "the one". Members appear to be respectful and the mods take no B.S. Good stuff...

Anyway, I am older and thought that my days of getting tattooed were over. I collected a decent half-dozen pieces in the 90's, both locally and at shows. Then Life Got In The Way. Fast forward to last year and my daughter (26) announced that she was getting her first ink and had put down a deposit. She and her girlfriends were all going together after the Christmas bills settled down...then it became after they got their tax returns...then they all chickened out. She was disappointed that she would have to go it alone. Before I could stop myself I blurted out: "What the Hell, I'll go with you." My daughter is very excited that we're having a Father/Daughter tattoo day (alas, I searched in vain all day and no, Hallmark doesn't have a card for that) and she said she'll take care of the arrangements.

A week later, I get an email with the date and time of our appointments. Now I had to decide what exactly I wanted. I'm a true believer in the 2nd amendment so I had the idea to have the ancient Greek symbols for "Molon Labe" (Come and Take It) tattooed on my forearm. One thing led to another and, well - HERE I GO AGAIN!!!

Dustin at Fate Tattoo on High Street (OSU campus) did the work on April 14 in about 2 1/2 hours. A couple of places scabbed pretty good - His technique? My old skin? Who knows? and I go in for a cleanup next week. All-in-all, decent work for $300, eh?

right on ! I'm an old guy too ! I'm still getting tattoos,and don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

remember one thing ! ogr-logo.jpg

Ha, I'm in Columbus too, and I teach Ancient Greek.

So I got it right? "Come and Take (it/them)"? As I understand it, the exact phrase has no noun. It is to be determined in context.

And are the strokes correct? I agonized over it as I have heard of too many language tattoos containing Chinese characters that read things like: "Peace, Love, Wonton Soup"

- - - Updated - - -

right on ! I'm an old guy too ! I'm still getting tattoos,and don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

remember one thing ! ogr-logo.jpg

We old guys may rule but our skin most certainly does not! I had this one done on the inside of my forearm where the sun has taken less of a toll.

So I got it right? "Come and Take (it/them)"? As I understand it, the exact phrase has no noun. It is to be determined in context.

And are the strokes correct? I agonized over it as I have heard of too many language tattoos containing Chinese characters that read things like: "Peace, Love, Wonton Soup"

The Greek is correct! It's a quote from a battle I taught last week actually. I'm not an expert on the various ways you can write Greek letters, but I can read it and it's definitely spelled correctly, so I think you're good! I think those strokes are identical to how it's inscribed on the monument in Greece, anyway.

I am SO RELIEVED!!!! I was watching this, waiting for your reply @semele !! My Greek is too rusty to have been able to know for certain... and I was stressing about it!
I am SO RELIEVED!!!! I was watching this, waiting for your reply @semele !! My Greek is too rusty to have been able to know for certain... and I was stressing about it!

Else, you took Greek?

@blujax01 Oops, didn't mean to imply anything was wrong! I just thought it was a funny coincidence that that someone in my city was posting a tattoo from my field. :)

I'll stop being a huge nerd now...

Um, I love language nerdiness that just went down in this thread. As a reformed linguist, I just needed to give props to @else and @semele on this one!

THREAD JACK!

I'm a massive language nerd. Majored in Spanish, minored in Russian, and have studied French, German, Spanish, Swedish, Cantonese, Portuguese and Japanese along the way. I'm jealous that @else and @semele have studied Greek.

THREAD JACK!

I'm a massive language nerd. Majored in Spanish, minored in Russian, and have studied French, German, Spanish, Swedish, Cantonese, Portuguese and Japanese along the way. I'm jealous that @else and @semele have studied Greek.

I knew you people were my people. My undergrad was in Linguistics, and along the way I've learned French, Polish (ok this was actually my first language), Serbo-Croat, Spanish, Hebrew and Yiddish, but I've really all-but-forgotten the last three. I dabbled with dead languages in my undergrad but now wish I had pursued them more! I am jealous of your Russian knowledge, @hogg - I am still very bitter that it's my mom's first language, my grandmother was a freaking Russian professor, and I never spoke it growing up. If I were to take up another language, that would be it.

I took about 1 1/2 years of Russian... was pretty good at Finnish after I'd been in Finland for awhile. Took a semester of Spanish, 2 of Greek, 1 of German, 1 of Dutch... unfortunately, I barely remember any of it!!! Can still get the gist of most romance languages in written form but aside from that all those years of language were wasted!

THREAD JACK!

I knew you people were my people. My undergrad was in Linguistics, and along the way I've learned French, Polish (ok this was actually my first language), Serbo-Croat, Spanish, Hebrew and Yiddish, but I've really all-but-forgotten the last three. I dabbled with dead languages in my undergrad but now wish I had pursued them more! I am jealous of your Russian knowledge, @hogg - I am still very bitter that it's my mom's first language, my grandmother was a freaking Russian professor, and I never spoke it growing up. If I were to take up another language, that would be it.
I took about 1 1/2 years of Russian... was pretty good at Finnish after I'd been in Finland for awhile. Took a semester of Spanish, 2 of Greek, 1 of German, 1 of Dutch... unfortunately, I barely remember any of it!!! Can still get the gist of most romance languages in written form but aside from that all those years of language were wasted!

So jealous! I'm pretty sure I'm the least literate of you folks--I've got ten years of Ancient Greek and Latin, but that's it! One of my first tattoos was actually to mark finishing the summer Greek intensive course. Probably the hardest I've worked in my life so far! I pretend to know Modern Greek and German, but just reeeeaally basic conversational stuff. Damn. I better go get some Hebrew or something in a hurry...!

THREAD JACK!

swedish you say? ok, let's hear some swedish then! :)

- - - Updated - - -

finnish is hard! i'm born and raised in finland and i can't understand half of it..even tough i'm considering learning it again, for real this time.

finnish is hard! i'm born and raised in finland and i can't understand half of it..even tough i'm considering learning it again, for real this time.

Yeah - I got pretty good at "Finglish" - could talk to people on the street (and in bars) well enough - was never good enough at it to have a "proper" conversation with someone who wasn't a little bit drunk though! :)

- - - Updated - - -

So jealous! I'm pretty sure I'm the least literate of you folks--I've got ten years of Ancient Greek and Latin, but that's it!

Oh see! I wish I'd been more like you and delved deeply into one and stuck with it... Instead I just dipped a toe in, dabbled a bit, and then promptly forgot most everything I'd learned!!

swedish you say? ok, let's hear some swedish then! :)

Jag kann tala just et lite svenska. Min förre flickväns foräldrar kom från Småland.

My Swedish is pretty bad, and seeing as how the Swede and I broke up about 12 years ago, it's very rusty. Plus, everyone I speak to says I sound like a Swedish hillbilly because I speak with a Småland accent. :)