Extending Japanese Sleeves - Different Artists

tatB

Are there any rules/etiquette about having a different artist extend an existing 1/2 sleeve to 3/4? I ask because while I am happy with my existing 1/2 sleeve the artist who did the work isn't known for his Japanese work and I would be more comfortable going to a well known artist with more experience adding on to existing Japanese work.

It really depends on the artist, some really do not like adding or continuing other peoples work, whereas others will give it a shot - it depends if what you already have fits the style of the new artist, and if they think it is done well, and will compliment their own work! If it is the koi sleeve you have in your folder then you shouldn't have a problem, it looks really nice, fingers crossed you find a great artist who works in that style who is willing to do it!

If you have a half-sleeve, and now you want to bring it down to 3/4 then you will eventually want it down to a full-sleeve. Going from half to 3/4 doesn't give the tattooer much to work with. One of my first tattoos was a 3/4 sleeve, and within a year I wanted to bring it down to full, but it took me nearly eight years to do so. The guys at Redemption are awesome so getting good work won't be a problem for you.

If you have a half-sleeve, and now you want to bring it down to 3/4 then you will eventually want it down to a full-sleeve. Going from half to 3/4 doesn't give the tattooer much to work with. One of my first tattoos was a 3/4 sleeve, and within a year I wanted to bring it down to full, but it took me nearly eight years to do so. The guys at Redemption are awesome so getting good work won't be a problem for you.

3/4 is definitely the maximum length for me because I like being able to cover up and even with long sleeve shirts a full sleeve would peek out when I extend my arm. Saving full sleeves and hand tattoos for when I'm old and retired...

- - - Updated - - -

It really depends on the artist, some really do not like adding or continuing other peoples work, whereas others will give it a shot - it depends if what you already have fits the style of the new artist, and if they think it is done well, and will compliment their own work! If it is the koi sleeve you have in your folder then you shouldn't have a problem, it looks really nice, fingers crossed you find a great artist who works in that style who is willing to do it!

100% agree on matching styles. It would bug me if the styles weren't similar and the work didn't flow together smoothly. I'm leaning towards returning to the original artist but have 1 or 2 other artist that I might inquire about their willingness to extend existing work.

My first tattoo was a 1/2 sleeve and about two years later, I ended up having it extended to 3/4 by the same artist. I'm in the same boat as I have to keep things professional but want to be able to roll up my sleeves without causing unwanted attention. It's great when I can wear baseball shirts with 3/4 sleeves and they are fully covered.

I think if you find a good artist, they should be able to incorporate what you want with your existing piece to their specific style. Whomever you settle on, especially if it is a different artist, I'd say have a conversation with them to get your idea and concerns across. I have a front left thigh piece by Henning Jorgensen that's partially finished with background and when I started my back piece in which Mike Rubendall did the lower half, Rubendall was able to seamlessly merge the two pieces together. Granted their styles are slightly similar, but still different enough to tell the differences. I think it will mostly come down to the background (wind bars, water waves, etc.)

My first tattoo was a 1/2 sleeve and about two years later, I ended up having it extended to 3/4 by the same artist. I'm in the same boat as I have to keep things professional but want to be able to roll up my sleeves without causing unwanted attention. It's great when I can wear baseball shirts with 3/4 sleeves and they are fully covered.

I think if you find a good artist, they should be able to incorporate what you want with your existing piece to their specific style. Whomever you settle on, especially if it is a different artist, I'd say have a conversation with them to get your idea and concerns across. I have a front left thigh piece by Henning Jorgensen that's partially finished with background and when I started my back piece in which Mike Rubendall did the lower half, Rubendall was able to seamlessly merge the two pieces together. Granted their styles are slightly similar, but still different enough to tell the differences. I think it will mostly come down to the background (wind bars, water waves, etc.)

Sometimes reading posts about your awesome tattoos fills me with a jealous rage...

I will say that with regard to sleeve length that my left arm is tattooed down to my wrist bone and a properly-fitting long sleeved shirt does cover it, even when reaching. Career-wise, I have to work in short sleeves anyway so if visible tattoos are going to count against me, I've already burned that bridge, and it ultimately comes down to your comfort level with visible tattoos, but in normal circumstances full sleeves can be covered with not that much effort.

When I was deciding about length I was thinking 3/4 to a couple of inches above my wrist bone for reasons of concealability, but I was also thinking of what I would do to extend the sleeves at a later date, so I went the full length.

I think your situation is a little easier because both Mike and Henning are considered elite world class tattooers. In my situation I'm looking to extend my 1/2 sleeve by a relatively new/unknown artist to match the length of my 3/4 sleeve by Chris O'Donnell.

I think your situation is a little easier because both Mike and Henning are considered elite world class tattooers. In my situation I'm looking to extend my 1/2 sleeve by a relatively new/unknown artist to match the length of my 3/4 sleeve by Chris O'Donnell.

Not interested in having Chris extend it or perhaps reaching out to Henning now and try to get an appointment when he comes to NYC in the fall?

Not interested in having Chris extend it or perhaps reaching out to Henning now and try to get an appointment when he comes to NYC in the fall?

How did you know Chris and Henning were on my list?! haha There style drawing peony flowers is similar enough to what I already have so I think either of their work would flow well with the existing stuff. But you are right the first step is to reach out to ask if they are interested.

• 1 year later...
Are there any rules/etiquette about having a different artist extend an existing 1/2 sleeve to 3/4? I ask because while I am happy with my existing 1/2 sleeve the artist who did the work isn't known for his Japanese work and I would be more comfortable going to a well known artist with more experience adding on to existing Japanese work.

Did you ever extend it? If so, can I see pics?

I'm thinking of having RG extend my dragon half sleeve into a 3/4 sleeve. I just want some validation that it won't look awkward/out of place if done professionally.

Did you ever extend it? If so, can I see pics?

I'm thinking of having RG extend my dragon half sleeve into a 3/4 sleeve. I just want some validation that it won't look awkward/out of place if done professionally.

Yes I had Chris odonnell extend it. He added pink peonies, a skull, and background. Flows nicely. You can see the back part of that arm in my backpiece photos.

@BrianH I too wouldn't mind seeing close up pics when you get a chance. I am keen to see how they flow. I am in a similar conundrum with extending 3/4 to full. When I 1st had my sleeves done I had planned to do 1/2 sleeves but 2 weeks before we started the 1st I did a mercy dash to artist to change to 3/4. It was my 1st visible tattoo and I reasoned that what is the difference in someone seeing a tiny bit poking out of a t-shirt sleeve as opposed to seeing quite a bit of art. I choose 3/4 over full as I like the look and concept of the 3/4 size. I now however am struggling to choose between either capping the 3/4 off with mala beads or something similar or just going full sleeves.

Decisions decisions. :)

Thanks for the pics @BrianH Yours are a seamless transition to the new work lower down. Your pics made me chat to my artist on the weekend and he is confident he can extend my 3/4 sleeves to full without no major problems or it looking out of place.

Now the big decision do I want full sleeves. :)

Cheers

Jason.

• 9 months later...