Oklahomies - everyone make it out okay?

beez

Live Updates from the Devastation in Oklahoma City

Luckily I am not currently in OK and my family is all safe and accounted for, but I know we have a few Okies on the forum here...did everyone make it out okay from yesterday's tornado? More storms expected today. My thoughts are with my Okies!

I live just 40 minutes SW of where it started. I drove right through where it touched down about 5 minutes before. All my friends and family that live in the area are accounted for although a couple of my friends houses where right in the path in the worst hit area. They lost everything, but are still alive.

I was in the May 3rd, 1999 tornado, also an F5...this shit is intense. This tornado cut a far wider swath of damage, as well. Poor Moore. I do question why these neighborhoods are built and rebuilt in this same area...in 2003 another tornado went through the same area that had been devastated by the '99 twister, and again the houses on this particular street were razed to the ground. Though, like the rest of the center of the country, the neighborhoods etc are built right off the highway, which makes things considerably easier transpo wise...actually I don't think it matters when it comes to tornados. They just do what they're gonna do.

Though, honestly, if I had to choose between an earthquake, a tornado, or a hurricane, I'd pick a tornado in an instant. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't, I suppose.

@EzRider, glad you and yours are safe. Let's hope we hear from @Scott R soon.

My wife and I were talking about this as I start my apprenticeship next week in OKC... If she had not given her notice for the 24th we would have been right in the middle of it... I have family there and everyone was o.k., but like many fellow Oklahomans we are prepared to lend a hand once we get there.... We are donating clothes and stuff that we were going to donate locally before moving.... It is a bad place in that particular part of the city for twisters and I and many fellow Okies are frustrated with the lack of storm cellars in public schools... California prepares for earthquakes, and Florida for hurricanes yet our state had turned a blind eye to this issue till now... laws are already being discussed I just hate that it takes loss of life to evaluate the current standards....:(

I was in the May 3rd, 1999 tornado, also an F5...this shit is intense. This tornado cut a far wider swath of damage, as well. Poor Moore. I do question why these neighborhoods are built and rebuilt in this same area...in 2003 another tornado went through the same area that had been devastated by the '99 twister, and again the houses on this particular street were razed to the ground. Though, like the rest of the center of the country, the neighborhoods etc are built right off the highway, which makes things considerably easier transpo wise...actually I don't think it matters when it comes to tornados. They just do what they're gonna do.

Though, honestly, if I had to choose between an earthquake, a tornado, or a hurricane, I'd pick a tornado in an instant. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't, I suppose.

@EzRider, glad you and yours are safe. Let's hope we hear from @Scott R soon.

I've ridden out some wild hurricanes before and they go on for many hours and are quite destructive. The one Sandy from 6 months ago, people are still picking up the pieces. How do the insurance companies keep paying out for new houses? Some up here will drop you for putting in a measly $1000 claim.

Rob

I am ok, just got back from Kauai

the devastation is plentiful. I had to drive through it to get home and I found someones taxes from 1997 in my backyard

Glad you're ok!!

I haven't seen it in person yet, headed back to Oklahoma tomorrow though... I know it was horrible seeing it on the news, I'm dreading seeing it in person. :-(